Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Who Were the Disciples on the Road to Emmaus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Were the Disciples on the Road to Emmaus?

Husband and wife? Don't know? NOT husband and wife?

And I'd be interested in your reasoning.
    Most likely (or definitely) Husband and Wife
    28.57%
    Most likely (or definteily) NOT Husband and Wife
    14.29%
    Don't really know
    57.14%
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

It doesn't say.

I've had my own Emmaus road situation once.

Back in high school on our senior trip we went to New York City. We were waiting for our bus after visiting downtown and I wandered into a store. When I came out everyone was gone! I missed the bus!

So I hailed a cab and went back to the hotel. The principal called the room and was relieved that I was there after they noticed I was missing. He was impressed I was smart enough to get a cab back to the hotel. He told me that I could take a cab to the Smithsonian and they would meet me there after they finished at the Statue of Liberty.

While I was waiting in the lobby of the Smithsonian, some other students wandered in and I heard them talking about "the kid who missed the bus" so I wandered into the group and asked them what happened, and one girl said, "Didn't you hear about the kid who missed the bus! I heard he took a cab back to the hotel and is supposed to meet us here! I would never know what to do in that situation would you?"

I said, "Yeah, I think I would have figured it out."

Then a few minutes later the principal and the rest of the students came in and the principal came up to me and announce how I did the right thing and if anyone else gets lost to do the same. The girl who was talking to me gave me a dirty look and I just shrugged my shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Husband and wife? Don't know? NOT husband and wife?

And I'd be interested in your reasoning.
      Not going to choose an option just yet, but my gut feeling after taking a look at the passage is that they're two male disciples. I see no indication in the text that one of them was a woman, or that they were married. That doesn't mean it's impossible, but I do think there would have been some sort of indication in the text if that was the case.

Comment

The only thing that makes me maybe wonder if they were husband and wife is that they invited Jesus to stay with them. Also, everybody was in Jerusalem for the Passover, and families would certainly have been together for the high holy day, so maybe it was a married couple.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
          Not going to choose an option just yet, but my gut feeling after taking a look at the passage is that they're two male disciples. I see no indication in the text that one of them was a woman, or that they were married. That doesn't mean it's impossible, but I do think there would have been some sort of indication in the text if that was the case.
          I'll provide the source for why I wondered about this in a bit...
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            The only thing that makes me maybe wonder if they were husband and wife is that they invited Jesus to stay with them. Also, everybody was in Jerusalem for the Passover, and families would certainly have been together for the high holy day, so maybe it was a married couple.

That moves close to the reasoning that brought me to this question.

Comment

One was a woman because there was an offer of a meal involved, ha ha?

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
                One was a woman because there was an offer of a meal involved, ha ha?
                Naw, I guess I'll go look for what it was that triggered this.... mossy seemed (HEY-- I GOT A PACKAGE!!!!!) to have pretty much the same logic.

Hmmmm.... this isn't the one, but it's very close....

The answer to this question is not as uncertain as most people, who are accustomed to referring merely to the “Emmaus disciples,” are likely to assume. For one thing, the story itself gives the name of one of them.

If you turn to Luke 24:18, you will find that one of the disciples was called Cleopas. Moreover, if you will then use any good concordance of the words occurring in the New Testament and look up the word “Cleopas,” you will find a second mention of his name in another account of the Resurrection. The reference is John 19:25. There we read, “Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary, the wife of Cleopas, and Mary Magdalene.”

It is true that John spells the name a bit differently. But the spelling of names often varied in antiquity, and here the two names undoubtedly refer to the same person. Thus, we learn that the wife of Cleopas was also present in Jerusalem at the time of the Crucifixion. And we may, therefore, assume that she was the one returning to Emmaus with him on the morning of the Resurrection.

Moreover, I believe that we can know even more than this. For it seems clear to me that John has given us her name when he writes of “his [Jesus’] mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary, the wife of Cleopas, and Mary Magdalene.” I must admit that because of the way John has written this verse it is not at once obvious whether John is identifying the first Mary he mentions as the sister of the virgin Mary or as the wife of Cleopas. But a little thought shows that the second of these should be preferred.

Why?

1. For one thing, John seems to be distinguishing between two different Marys in the second part of the verse—Mary, the wife of Cleopas, and Mary Magdalene. At least this is the most natural way of interpreting the sentence.

2. Second, if this is not the case, then either there is an unidentified Mary in the story (making five persons) or else there is a Mary who is the sister of the Virgin Mary.

The first case is unlikely in itself as well as unlike John’s literary style. And the second is unlikely simply because it would mean there were two sisters, both named Mary. These reasons seem to point to the wife of Cleopas being named Mary, a woman who (we are told elsewhere) was also the mother of James the less and Joses and who had been a follower of Jesus as well as a helper of Jesus and His immediate disciples (Mark 15:40, 41: cf. Mark 16:1 and Luke 24:10).
                Last edited by Cow Poke; 04-20-2020, 04:16 PM.

Comment

That moves close to the reasoning that brought me to this question.

Did everything arrive safely?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Did everything arrive safely?
                    Lemme look....

Comment

Lemme look....
                      YES! Fantsmical!

Comment

YES! Fantsmical!
                        Yuh!

So glad!

Comment

If you turn to Luke 24:18, you will find that one of the disciples was called Cleopas. Moreover, if you will then use any good concordance of the words occurring in the New Testament and look up the word “Cleopas,” you will find a second mention of his name in another account of the Resurrection. The reference is John 19:25. There we read, “Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary, the wife of Cleopas, and Mary Magdalene.”

It is true that John spells the name a bit differently. But the spelling of names often varied in antiquity, and here the two names undoubtedly refer to the same person. Thus, we learn that the wife of Cleopas was also present in Jerusalem at the time of the Crucifixion. And we may, therefore, assume that she was the one returning to Emmaus with him on the morning of the Resurrection.

Moreover, I believe that we can know even more than this. For it seems clear to me that John has given us her name when he writes of “his [Jesus’] mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary, the wife of Cleopas, and Mary Magdalene.” I must admit that because of the way John has written this verse it is not at once obvious whether John is identifying the first Mary he mentions as the sister of the virgin Mary or as the wife of Cleopas. But a little thought shows that the second of these should be preferred.

Why?

1. For one thing, John seems to be distinguishing between two different Marys in the second part of the verse—Mary, the wife of Cleopas, and Mary Magdalene. At least this is the most natural way of interpreting the sentence.

2. Second, if this is not the case, then either there is an unidentified Mary in the story (making five persons) or else there is a Mary who is the sister of the Virgin Mary.

The first case is unlikely in itself as well as unlike John’s literary style. And the second is unlikely simply because it would mean there were two sisters, both named Mary. These reasons seem to point to the wife of Cleopas being named Mary, a woman who (we are told elsewhere) was also the mother of James the less and Joses and who had been a follower of Jesus as well as a helper of Jesus and His immediate disciples (Mark 15:40, 41: cf. Mark 16:1 and Luke 24:10).[/box]

yeah I don't think Mary would have a sister named Mary.

(reminds me of the Bob Newhart show with Darryl, Darryl and Darryl. )

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            yeah I don't think Mary would have a sister named Mary.

(reminds me of the Bob Newhart show with Darryl, Darryl and Darryl. )
                            Ahem. It was Larry, Darryl and Darryl.

Comment

Ahem. It was Larry, Darryl and Darryl.

Oh yeah.

Comment