Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

George Floyd's Brother Calling for Peace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    I remember when Rodney King called for peace. I don't believe the rioters were interested.
    That really gets to the heart of the problem:

Whether the rioting was catalyzed by the injustice (George Floyd, Rodney King, etc), the thing which keeps it going has nothing to do with the catalyst. The people who keep up the violence/destruction don't really care what started it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      let's see if the MSM plays this NEARLY as much as they've played the "boot on the neck" over and over and over and over...
      It has to be repeated until something is done. So far I haven't seen anything of substance about how this attrocious situation was allowed to come about, or what will be done with it (other than the immediate triage of punishing the murder).

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post

Whether the rioting was catalyzed by the injustice (George Floyd, Rodney King, etc), the thing which keeps it going has nothing to do with the catalyst. The people who keep up the violence/destruction don't really care what started it.
        It clearly wasn't just about Floyd. We've seen riots over police injustice since Rodney King and the violence and destruction was never this bad or widespread across the country before.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          It has to be repeated until something is done.
          I disagree - I don't know ANY sane rational person who even TRIES to defend it, and all you'll accomplish by showing it over and over is fuel violence.

So far I haven't seen anything of substance about how this attrocious situation was allowed to come about, or what will be done with it (other than the immediate triage of punishing the murder).
          I still think the chief needs to be fired. It happened under his watch.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            It clearly wasn't just about Floyd. We've seen riots over police injustice since Rodney King and the violence and destruction was never this bad or widespread across the country before.
            I guess I would have lumped all police (racial) injustice in with the protests. I chose "Floyd" because he's the latest example of it.

I doubt that today's rioting has much to do with Floyd, Arbery, King, etc...

ps. as a white guy, I could easily be wrong. Still, the rioting seems less to do with racial justice, and more to do with general civil unrest.
            Last edited by Whateverman; 06-01-2020, 03:38 PM.

Comment

I guess I would have lumped all police (racial) injustice in with the protests. I chose "Floyd" because he's the latest example of it.

I doubt that today's rioting has much to do with Floyd, Arbery, King, etc...

ps. as a white guy, I could easily be wrong. Still, the rioting seems less to do with racial justice, and more to do with general civil unrest.
              I was agreeing with you. All the "social leaders" are trying to figure out why this is happening and pointing fingers (or they're just are playing dumb) when it's obvious what the underlying catalyst is.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                It has to be repeated until something is done. So far I haven't seen anything of substance about how this attrocious situation was allowed to come about, or what will be done with it (other than the immediate triage of punishing the murder).
                The people of Minneapolis really need to address it. The rest of the country has no control over that city.

Comment

It's a mixture of people who are trying to enact some change, anarchists, hoodlums, and (now termed) "domestic terrorists" Antifa. I know a state senator in Atlanta is convinced that the bad players in his city are outsiders and most likely Antifa.

Comment

Anybody else notice our Tweb leftists are absent from this thread?
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Shouldn't they be calling Terrance Floyd an "Uncle Tom" by now?

Comment

So, ya got white dudes appealing for us to "understand" the frustration of the black community, virtually excusing the riots, but...

George Floyd's brother says violent protests are 'overshadowing' his memory because he 'was about peace' and the unrest is a 'destructive unity'

Let's listen to the black dude!

(and I would not be the least bit surprised if some nutter accuses me of being racist with this statement)
                        The calls to listen are directed at those actually protesting the social disparities, the element Floyd's brother asked to continue.

The violence is a disruptive element encouraged as much by forces on the right as forces on the left. and from what I've seen from cnn etc, they are openly struggling with how to balance the need to inform about where the violence is happening without creating the appearance that is their focus. I have seen reporters emphasise that on the air live. Trying to make the point that most, almost all in fact, are peacefully protesting legitimate inequities and calling for real change.

Floyd's brother is not asking for the protests to stop, he is not countering thos white people asking for us to understand the rage and frustration that has caused nationwide protests. He is appealing to all to stop taking that as an excuse for violence.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Shouldn't they be calling Terrance Floyd an "Uncle Tom" by now?
                          He's probably not even really black.....

In case anybody missed it, that was sarcasm.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            The calls to listen are directed at those actually protesting the social disparities, the element Floyd's brother asked to continue.

The violence is a disruptive element encouraged as much by forces on the right as forces on the left. and from what I've seen from cnn etc, they are openly struggling with how to balance the need to inform about where the violence is happening without creating the appearance that is their focus. I have seen reporters emphasise that on the air live. Trying to make the point that most, almost all in fact, are peacefully protesting legitimate inequities and calling for real change.

Floyd's brother is not asking for the protests to stop, he is not countering thos white people asking for us to understand the rage and frustration that has caused nationwide protests. He is appealing to all to stop taking that as an excuse for violence.

George Floyd's brother says violent protests are 'overshadowing' his memory because he 'was about peace' and the unrest is a 'destructive unity'

Comment

yep, he's against the violent protests, not the peaceful protests.

Source: Floyd's brother

"It's OK to be angry, but channel your anger to do something positive or make a change another way because we've been down this road already," Terrence continued. "The anger...damaging your hometown is not the way he'd want."

© Copyright Original Source

Most of the protests themselves are peaceful, or start out that way. But as evening approaches destructive forces steal the show. There is good evidence that at least some of the violence is directed by white supremacists wanting to undermine the legitimacy of the protests.

My point is the peaceful element of the protests are warranted and not themselves being discouraged by Floyd's brother. Your statement was sufficiently vague (i.e. did not acknowledge the majority of the protests are peaceful) that I felt clarification was needed.

The issue is not that there are protests, it is that some of them turn violent, and that needs to stop. An element most of us, black or white, can agree on.
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-02-2020, 11:41 AM.
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I'm invisible to you aren't I.

Comment