Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Attacking McCain? He's Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I said nothing about McCain's knowledge. However, I did not see a place where anything said McCain required this to be done, knew of it before hand, or approved it. Did I miss that somewhere?
    Yup, you're right. Kramer took it upon himself to do this all on his own.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Actually - I didn't say that either.

You guys really like to put words in a person's mouth. Again - for those struggling to keep up (and yes, that's snarky): "X did not Y" and and "It is not shown that X did Y" are not equivalent statements. I said the latter - I did not say the former.

So - for now - we don't know. Or - at least - I don't know. You folks are, of course, free to continue to fill in the gap with speculation that conforms to your pre-existing political views. It's not like it's the first time...
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Actually - I didn't say that either.

You guys really like to put words in a person's mouth. Again - for those struggling to keep up (and yes, that's snarky): "X did not Y" and and "It is not shown that X did Y" are not equivalent statements. I said the latter - I did not say the former.

So - for now - we don't know. Or - at least - I don't know. You folks are, of course, free to continue to fill in the gap with speculation that conforms to your pre-existing political views. It's not like it's the first time...
        So who do you think told Kramer to do it then?

Either you think Kramer did it himself, or someone else told him to. Why do you keep trying so hard to keep from just taking a stance? You clearly implied you thought Kramer could have done it himself. Yet then you back away and say you didn't say that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          So who do you think told Kramer to do it then?
          I have no idea who - or even IF he was told. I have not found any information that speaks to that. So any answer I make would be pure speculation - and I prefer not to speculate.

Either you think Kramer did it himself, or someone else told him to.
          And then of course there's always the one that gets left out: "I don't know."

Why do you keep trying so hard to keep from just taking a stance?
          I take a stance when I have evidence to justify the stance. When I don't, I say "I don't know."

You clearly implied you thought Kramer could have done it himself.
          Yes - he could have done it himself. I don't need to imply it - it is an obvious possibility. He also could have been told to do it. That is also an obvious possibility. If the latter, he could have been told to do it by several different people. That is also an obvious possibility. Which is it? I don't know.

Yet then you back away and say you didn't say that.
          I have never said I didn't say "I don't know." I have never denied any of the possibilities. I have said pretty much the same thing from the outset: can you show me the evidence that leads to conclusion X. Nobody has. So I still don't know.

It's not that difficult, folks. Speculating, in my experience, is an exercise in filling in gaps in knowledge with the speculator's pre-existing opinion. Conservatives will decide "McCain told him." Liberals will decide "Kramer did it on his own." Everyone will insist they have it right - and no one will be able to provide a shred of evidence to support the claim.

When you have evidence, let me know and I'll look at it. Until then, I'll respond "I don't know" because I actually don't know.

Some of you should try it sometime. You might find that you end up slightly less polarized and locked into your mindset because you aren't regularly engaging in so much political self-stimulation.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Right. We're supposed to believe that McCain ordered Kramer to retrieve the dossier and bring it back to Washington and then just let him do his own thing after that.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Right. We're supposed to believe that McCain ordered Kramer to retrieve the dossier and bring it back to Washington and then just let him do his own thing after that.
              None of which I said or suggested.

Comment

None of which I said or suggested.
                Bull.

So I'm reading all of this to say Kramer distributed the document - not McCain. Am I missing something?

Comment

Bull.
                  Yes - the article seems to say it was Kramer distributed the document. The earlier claim was that McCain did it. And I asked if I missed anything.

The rest you added - which is what you pretty regularly do. You seem chronically incapable of simply staying with what a person actually says - and add reams of inference to it and then shoot them all down and declare victory. It's an amazing thing to watch.

If it's any consolation - you aren't alone. It appears to be a common theme here, and apparently is a perfectly acceptable way of engaging - all the while screaming "strawman."

I don't use these often - but...

Comment

Yes - the article seems to say it was Kramer distributed the document. The earlier claim was that McCain did it. And I asked if I missed anything.

The rest you added - which is what you pretty regularly do. You seem chronically incapable of simply staying with what a person actually says - and add reams of inference to it and then shoot them all down and declare victory. It's an amazing thing to watch.

If it's any consolation - you aren't alone. It appears to be a common theme here, and apparently is a perfectly acceptable way of engaging - all the while screaming "strawman."

I added nothing Carp. I just said "Bull" and posted your own words. Ironic that you are accusing me of adding reams of inference to your words considering that huh?

Comment

You - (pretty much throughout the post) substitute "people often"
                      Here - the process is common enough anywhere.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I added nothing Carp. I just said "Bull" and posted your own words. Ironic that you are accusing me of adding reams of inference to your words considering that huh?
                        Actually - you have. You added meaning I did not put there. As the post said, "the article says that Kramer distributed the document - not McCain." In other words - the article does not say McCain distributed the document, it says Kramer did. Therefore, it does not substantiate the accusation made that McCain distributed the document. I have seen nothing (so far) to substantiate the claim "McCain distributed the document." And it concluded with "did I miss something?" to provide people with an opportunity to correct me if I had missed something. I also followed up with several clarifying posts in response to comments that clearly misunderstood my post.

But as usual with you, your interpretation rules! What someone else actually meant and was saying is meaningless, even when it is supported by the actual post. You are the "king of what is going on in someone else's mind." I have pretty much come to expect it - and I have pretty much come to realize you will probably NEVER acknowledge misunderstanding someone else's post - certainly not if that someone is me.

So carry on, Sparko. It's pretty much same old same old with you. As CP said, it gets old. But hey - it's what you do.
                        Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-24-2019, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          You - (pretty much throughout the post) substitute "people often"
                          Here - the process is common enough anywhere.
                          I actually said pretty much what I meant, Tab. But thanks.

Comment

Actually - you have. You added meaning I did not put there. As the post said, "the article says that Kramer distributed the document - not McCain." In other words - the article does not say McCain distributed the document, it says Kramer did. Therefore, it does not substantiate the accusation made that McCain distributed the document. I have seen nothing (so far) to substantiate the claim "McCain distributed the document." And it concluded with "did I miss something?" to provide people with an opportunity to correct me if I had missed something. I also followed up with several clarifying posts in response to comments that clearly misunderstood my post.

But as usual with you, your interpretation rules! What someone else actually meant and was saying is meaningless, even when it is supported by the actual post. You are the "king of what is going on in someone else's mind." I have pretty much come to expect it - and I have pretty much come to realize you will probably NEVER acknowledge misunderstanding someone else's post - certainly not if that someone is me.

So carry on, Sparko. It's pretty much same old same old with you. As CP said, it gets old. But hey - it's what you do.
                            So you are doing exactly what you just accused me of doing and it's fine? How un-selfaware ARE you Carp?

Comment

Duplicate...

Comment

So you are doing exactly what you just accused me of doing and it's fine? How un-selfaware ARE you Carp?
                                What?

Sparko - you are explicitly accusing me of saying/meaning something I did not say/mean - and insisting your interpretation is correct. I'm not reading your mind - it's what you have just said.

What is WITH you?

Comment