Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Is this deal too good to be true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I sure wish I had said that!

Neither of you needed to! I knew it was refurbished before I posted here. I read (and re-read) the entire page before I started this thread. I have no problem buying refurbished electronics.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      It is a refurbished computer.

Product works and looks like new. Comes with a 90-day warranty.
      This Amazon Renewed product is professionally inspected and tested by an Amazon qualified supplier. Box and accessories may be generic. Learn more

There is another one that is cheaper (also refurbushed)
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071751G3P..._t1_B07HKBDFQX

if you scroll down the page you can see a comparison with other laptops at similar prices that are not refurbished.
      That one has even less hard drive space (although it is an SSD) and has half the graphics RAM. It also doesn't have the NVIDIA graphics processor. I'll be using this for gaming, so that's a deal breaker. Sorry.
      I did find this version of the one in my original link, with Windows 7 instead of 10:
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07N4...MOL17Z4Z&psc=1

And I did look at the product comparison box, and nothing appealed to me as much as this one does. The graphics really seals it for me. I think I'll get this one as soon as I have the money. I did have a close call with my desktop recently though - a lightning strike took out the power supply. I feared at first that it might be worse than that, but my dad brought over a couple spare power supplies (as you do) and swapped it out and it works again. I do have it plugged into a surge suppressor, but my dad's UPS was also shut off in the same lightning strike. That's not supposed to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        If you're looking for a laptop, I'd suggest checking out Woot.com as well. They pretty much always have deals on laptops.
        It's been so long since I even thought about woot. I'll have to check it out.

I'll let y'all know what I end up getting, but I have to wait for people who owe me money to pay me back and there's no telling when that'll be.

Comment

Yeah, this one was, apparently, pretty much a desktop replacement computer.

And, even if your monitor is old and has DVI, it's likely to have VGA as well, no?
          I checked my monitor. It has display port, HDMI, two DVI, and VGA. So whatever I need to plug into it, it's there and I don't need an adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
            I checked my monitor. It has display port, HDMI, two DVI, and VGA. So whatever I need to plug into it, it's there and I don't need an adapter.
            Cool!!!!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Neither of you needed to! I knew it was refurbished before I posted here. I read (and re-read) the entire page before I started this thread. I have no problem buying refurbished electronics.
              Neither do I, as long as there's some form of warranty - often 90 days. My theory is that, having had some kind of problem, the item is much more scrutinized than something that just rolls off assembly and gets boxed up.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                If you're looking for a laptop, I'd suggest checking out Woot.com as well. They pretty much always have deals on laptops.
                I've been checking them out the last few days. They seem to have almost exclusively HP computers with few others. I'm not sure how to feel about that. Are HP electronics prone to problems and so are flooding the refurb market? Or do they have some kind of deal with Woot?

Comment

I've been checking them out the last few days. They seem to have almost exclusively HP computers with few others. I'm not sure how to feel about that. Are HP electronics prone to problems and so are flooding the refurb market? Or do they have some kind of deal with Woot?
                  I have had a couple of HP laptops over the years. In fact I still have both of them and they still work. One is about 8 years old now and the other is about 5.

Comment

I have had a couple of HP laptops over the years. In fact I still have both of them and they still work. One is about 8 years old now and the other is about 5.
                    I've had HP computers in the past - mine have always come with so much bloatware and "help" stuff, that I've basically had to reformat them to be useful.

Comment

I've had HP computers in the past - mine have always come with so much bloatware and "help" stuff, that I've basically had to reformat them to be useful.
                      Yeah but that is pretty much any computer brand.

First thing I usually do is start uninstalling all the "free" stuff, especially MaCafee or Norton anything. Then all of the games and such.

Sometimes I do a fresh install. Except with some laptops they have special drivers and such that can get messes up if you do.

Comment

Yeah but that is pretty much any computer brand.

First thing I usually do is start uninstalling all the "free" stuff, especially MaCafee or Norton anything. Then all of the games and such.

Sometimes I do a fresh install. Except with some laptops they have special drivers and such that can get messes up if you do.
                        That's why I liked the Dell - that came with a System CD and a Drivers CD --- I would just do a fresh install. But Dell seemed to have FAR less bloatware than HP or Toshiba. I used to buy 30-40 laptops a month, and finally settled on Dell.

Comment

That's why I liked the Dell - that came with a System CD and a Drivers CD --- I would just do a fresh install. But Dell seemed to have FAR less bloatware than HP or Toshiba. I used to buy 30-40 laptops a month, and finally settled on Dell.
                          I have a dell workstation here at work and it came with all sorts of crap.

And the last dell laptop I got broke within a year. I guess different experiences for different people.

Comment

OR, better yet, I'd just install the OS, then go to Dell's support website and let it find the drivers for me by the computer's own ID. That way I got the most up-to-date drivers, primarily for the video, audio, network...

Comment

OR, better yet, I'd just install the OS, then go to Dell's support website and let it find the drivers for me by the computer's own ID. That way I got the most up-to-date drivers, primarily for the video, audio, network...
                              that works.

Comment

that works.
                                I forgot to mention updating the BIOS. I wonder how many people own a laptop for YEARS and never update the BIOS.

Comment