Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You might be a libertarian if… (restricted thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerk, another Libertarian on Facebook was gently instructing me in the ways of The Faith, and pointed me to his article on gay marriage and the consistent Libertarian position. I thought you might be interested

http://freevirginia.blogspot.com/201...bertarian.html

Part of the problem I mentioned before, he identifies… so much of what Libertarians would like to change is intertwined, so it is hard to implement piecemeal. The marriage issue is related to the tax issue is related to the freedom of association issue, etc. I am horridly inconsistent on this issue. I reflect an internal conflict in the Party I think between empathy, wanting to see government not privilege one group over another, and purity of doctrine. Simply saying "I support gay marriage" is kinda putting me in a cultural box that libertarians just don't fit into.

Libertarians actually take NO position on marriage, except for the idea that everyone has the absolute right to arrange their affairs and relationships as they wish -- without interference by any government authority.

In other words, Libertarians don't "favor" any kind of marriage, gay or otherwise -- we just want the government out of it.
    That would be more accurate of my philosophical bent than simply saying I support, but I haven't been the greatest about being consistent on this.
    Last edited by Darth Xena; 05-08-2015, 08:45 PM.
    The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

My apologies, Deedz. As it turned out, it took a good deal longer than a weekend to clean up that mess. But, the ship has finally finished being built, albeit two weeks after it set sail.

In the meantime, this property showed up on Zillow: two and a half acres, former house burned down; electric, fencing, an asphalt road, septic, well, pump, and even cable already on the property; tomato farms and palm tree orchards as neighbors, the entrance to Everglades park a mile and a half away ... let's just say the new car plans are now on hold. This could become the future site of the Radically Strawberry Manse.

I've been busy.

But there's a lull now, so ...

Comment

Hi Jerk, my life exploded in this tme as well. Right now I am in Vegas at the Libertarian Political Expo for the weekend. During the past few weeks I got in a huge debate with one of our Presidential candidates- got called a LINO (good times). I think he lost my vote;). My burnout factor is rapid since leaving forums behind. I go from advocacy to "think what you want" in record time now, though as you know I have been there for years with the silly eschatology stuff. Sooooo you think Obama is the antiChrist? Okay, good day, think what you want.

Lost a bit in the slots yesterday, but got my Paddle Faster, I Hear Banjoes shirt on and hanging out with my tribe, so it's all good.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Xena View Post
          Hi Jerk, my life exploded in this tme as well. Right now I am in Vegas at the Libertarian Political Expo for the weekend. During the past few weeks I got in a huge debate with one of our Presidential candidates- got called a LINO (good times). I think he lost my vote;). My burnout factor is rapid since leaving forums behind. I go from advocacy to "think what you want" in record time now, though as you know I have been there for years with the silly eschatology stuff. Sooooo you think Obama is the antiChrist? Okay, good day, think what you want.

Lost a bit in the slots yesterday, but got my Paddle Faster, I Hear Banjoes shirt on and hanging out with my tribe, so it's all good.

LOL I forgot about this thread, and in re-reading my last post, I see it could have been taken as I was done with discussion. That comment was more to nutty fundamentalists.

But probably a good idea I postponed... I thought my life exploded before... it REALLY exploded since then. And in re-reading the OP, I laughed. Because I am now an anarchist. Still affiliated with the Libertarian Party though.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Xena View Post
            LOL I forgot about this thread, and in re-reading my last post, I see it could have been taken as I was done with discussion. That comment was more to nutty fundamentalists.

But probably a good idea I postponed... I thought my life exploded before... it REALLY exploded since then. And in re-reading the OP, I laughed. Because I am now an anarchist. Still affiliated with the Libertarian Party though.
            An anarchist? tell me more.

...oops I am not supposed to post here. I am causing chaos.

Comment

Sparko, I don't mind...

I thought you knew I had moved to anarchism. IMHO, it is the logical conclusion of the form of libertarianism I embraced unless other values would supersede it. Which have not for me.

Clarification: I am an anarchist as a libertarian qua libertarian, i.e. a philosophical anarchist. Politically, I am for whatever is possible to achieve, and if that is minarchy so be it.

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X