Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Higher Education Finally Held Accountable...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Higher Education Finally Held Accountable...

Oberlin College fined $11M in bakery racial profiling case

The arrogant asses of higher education at Oberlin College, in Lorain County Ohio, have been slapped down by Lorain County Jury. Long story short, some black students tried to steal (or defraud) a family operated business, and the idiots at the college jumped to their defense, pretty much justifying their criminal activity along "social justice" lines.

gibsons.jpg

An Ohio jury on Friday slapped Oberlin College with an $11.2 million damages penalty for siding with three black students who had claimed they were victims of racial profiling after they were caught shoplifting in 2016, a report said.

The liberal arts college must pay the massive compensatory damages award to the family-owned Gibsons Bakery, where the three students had been arrested for attempting to steal or buy alcohol with a false ID.

The arrests were met with massive protests by students and faculty at the school.

During the protests, the Dean of Students, Meredith Raimondo, drew up a flyer, claiming Gibsons had a history of racial profiling, the Chronicle-Telegram reported.

The flyer also urged students to boycott the bakery, the Chronicle-Telegram reported.

The students pleaded guilty to the attempted theft in 2017 and admitted in court they were not racially profiled.

The $11.2 million award could triple in a hearing next week on punitive damages, according to the report.

Good on that Jury!!!! Shame on that "institute of higher learning". Oh, and it's worth noting that a number of the professors and administrators at the college tried valiantly to denounce this as a really stupid idea, but their testimony was not allowed to be presented to the jury! Maybe that will change in the damages trial.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Good on that Jury!!!! Shame on that "institute of higher learning".
    Right!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

For anybody interested, here's some more information...

Oberlin Colleges identity crisis led to its Gibsons Bakery train wreck

WARNING - PROFANITY in cited material....

A school losing its identity found student, faculty and administrative social justice warfare a seemingly easy way out. Until it met a Lorain County jury.

Sometimes it is the simplest explanations that explain best what some see as very complex.

As a journalist who has following the Gibson Bakery racial accusation case for more than two years now and who was able to cover it from a courtroom seat for the last month or so for Legal Insurrection I see things from a perspective that is both factually based and less emotional politically. What it is, not what I wish it were.

As you all know, last Friday the jury awarded $11.2 million in compensatory damages. The punitive daamages phase of the trial will be done Tuesday. Ohio law caps punitive civil case monetary awards at double what the compensatory damages were. That means the jury can award in this final phase be between zero and $22 million more to Gibsons Bakery & Market and family, in addition to the $11 million they have already awarded.

There are two things about this case that are very important, of which some of the commenters and tweets I read are missing.

The first is that Oberlin College, in the minds of the jury, wasnt guilty only of what they did, but also what they didnt do. They had opportunities early on to see the Edited by a Moderator (BS) flying in their faces thrown by the social justice warrior students and didnt have the good sense to see a basic problem and recognize the simplest of solutions.

What happened here is that Oberlin College and many universities have lost the understanding of their identity and basic purpose, and when that happens with most of us, when we dont know who we are, we tend to do stupid things. Thats what happened here.

A few years ago, they had students saying they wanted finals cancelled because they were protesting minority men being shot by police in nearby Cleveland; in Dec. of 2015, the schools black student union published 14 pages of racial accusations against the school with 58 demands to fix them; and the school had students thinking that the sushi in their cafeteria was cultural appropriation and unfit for eating because of that.

Instead of the school telling their students, You are all crazy, and get back to studying, they took on the these poor snowflakes need our support attitude.

I love that bolded line --- maybe this will be a shot across the bow of some other nutcase universities!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This is the same college who back in 2016 wanted to abolish grades below a C because they didn't have enough time to study, what with all the activism and stuff.

Oberlin students want to abolish midterms and any grades below C

Students at Oberlin College are asking the school to put academics on the back burner so they can better turn their attention to activism. More than 1,300 students at the Midwestern liberal arts college have now signed a petition asking that the college get rid of any grade below a C for the semester, and some students are requesting alternatives to the standard written midterm examination, such as a conversation with a professor in lieu of an essay.

The students say that between their activism work and their heavy course load, finding success within the usual grading parameters is increasingly difficult. "A lot of us worked alongside community members in Cleveland who were protesting," Megan Bautista, a co-liaison in Oberlin's student government, said, referring to the protests surrounding the shooting death of 12-year-old Tamir Rice by a police officer in 2014. "But we needed to organize on campus as well it wasn't sustainable to keep driving 40 minutes away. A lot of us started suffering academically."

..."You know, we're paying for a service. We're paying for our attendance here. We need to be able to get what we need in a way that we can actually consume it," student Zakiya Acey told The New Yorker. "Because I'm dealing with having been arrested on campus, or having to deal with the things that my family are going through because of larger systems having to deal with all of that, I can't produce the work that they want me to do. But I understand the material, and I can give it to you in different ways."
        https://theweek.com/speedreads/62636...grades-below-c

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          This is the same college who back in 2016 wanted to abolish grades below a C because they didn't have enough time to study, what with all the activism and stuff.

Oberlin students want to abolish midterms and any grades below C

Students at Oberlin College are asking the school to put academics on the back burner so they can better turn their attention to activism. More than 1,300 students at the Midwestern liberal arts college have now signed a petition asking that the college get rid of any grade below a C for the semester, and some students are requesting alternatives to the standard written midterm examination, such as a conversation with a professor in lieu of an essay.

The students say that between their activism work and their heavy course load, finding success within the usual grading parameters is increasingly difficult. "A lot of us worked alongside community members in Cleveland who were protesting," Megan Bautista, a co-liaison in Oberlin's student government, said, referring to the protests surrounding the shooting death of 12-year-old Tamir Rice by a police officer in 2014. "But we needed to organize on campus as well it wasn't sustainable to keep driving 40 minutes away. A lot of us started suffering academically."

..."You know, we're paying for a service. We're paying for our attendance here. We need to be able to get what we need in a way that we can actually consume it," student Zakiya Acey told The New Yorker. "Because I'm dealing with having been arrested on campus, or having to deal with the things that my family are going through because of larger systems having to deal with all of that, I can't produce the work that they want me to do. But I understand the material, and I can give it to you in different ways."
          https://theweek.com/speedreads/62636...grades-below-c
          Yes, and talk about APOSTASY.....

A Presbyterian minister and a missionary founded Oberlin in 1833. The duo, the Rev. John J. Shipherd and Philo P. Stewart, became friends while spending the summer of 1832 together in nearby Elyria. They discovered a mutual disenchantment with what they saw as the lack of strong Christian principles among the settlers of the American West. They decided to establish a college and a colony based on their religious beliefs, where they would train teachers and other Christian leaders for the boundless most desolate fields in the West.

And....

Shipherd and Stewart soon gained the support of Charles Grandison Finney, one of the great revivalists of the 19th century. Finneys reputation as a fiery and outspoken preacher attracted many to this fledgling community. He later served as the second president of the college after social reformer and abolitionist Asa Mahan, who served from 1835-1850.

How far and low they have fallen.

Comment

Oberlin College Gets Its Comeuppance

Justice is sweet...Hopefully this indoctrination mill will go under...

Market awarded $44M in racism dispute with Oberlin College

CLEVELAND (AP) Owners of a market in a famously liberal town were awarded $44 million in damages this week in their lawsuit claiming Oberlin College hurt their business and libeled them in a case some observers said embodied racial hypersensitivity and political correctness run amok.

A jury in Lorain County awarded David Gibson, son Allyn Gibson and Gibsons Bakery, of Oberlin, $33 million in punitive damages Thursday. That comes on top of an award a day earlier of $11 million in compensatory damages.

Ladies and gentlemen, you have spoken, Oberlin College attorney Rachelle Zidar told the jury Thursday before the larger award was announced, according to the Elyria Chronicle-Telegram . You have sent a profound message. We have heard you. Believe me when I say, Colleges across the country have heard you.

https://www.apnews.com/a9b095a4bf9040ed86b814fc9f889c0f
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

They made a real hash of their defense, ISTM, especially after the verdict was delivered, resulting in a massive damages award. Well-deserved, apparently.
              ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                They made a real hash of their defense, ISTM, especially after the verdict was delivered, resulting in a massive damages award. Well-deserved, apparently.
                Yep, these social justice idiots went way overboard...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Justice is sweet...Hopefully this indoctrination mill will go under...
                  Moderated By: QuantaFille

Threads merged.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                  Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Good! Of course they will probably just raise tuition and pass the cost on to the students. But I am even good with that. Maybe the faculty AND students will think twice about making false accusations.

Comment

Good! Of course they will probably just raise tuition and pass the cost on to the students. But I am even good with that. Maybe the faculty AND students will think twice about making false accusations.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well said....

For many who lament the shift from academics to activism across college campuses in the United States, Oberlin College in Ohio is the equivalent of the China syndrome during nuclear accidents, a point where chain reactions become impossible to stop or control. Oberlin students often find new issues to protest, even on one of the most liberal campuses in the world, like objections to serving sushi as cultural appropriation. As on other campuses across the country, these protests are encouraged by an array of faculty members and ever accommodating administrators.

This week, however, the bill came due for Oberlin when a jury awarded over $11 million in damages to a family bakery for being defamed as racist by its college students and officials. That motion was later followed by a whopping $33 million punitive award. It is only the latest example of how faculty members and officials are driving their institutions toward financial and intellectual bankruptcy, thanks to their advocacy or acquiescence.

By empowering the little snowflakes, the ignorant administration is opening themselves to the same chaos the students are dishing out elsewhere.

Comment

How are these kids every going to get jobs? Especially if they put this activism crap on their resumes. Who wants to hires some nutjob that is just as likely to sue you over your cafeterias menu as work for you?

Comment

How are these kids every going to get jobs? Especially if they put this activism crap on their resumes. Who wants to hires some nutjob that is just as likely to sue you over your cafeterias menu as work for you?
                            Good question, but it looks like these nutjob idiot administrators are reaping what they've been sewing, and good for them!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Good question, but it looks like these nutjob idiot administrators are reaping what they've been sewing, and good for them!
                              They will be standing in the unemployment line...

Guy 1 - I can't get anyone to hire me because I am a felon.
                              Guy 2 - Me either, I am a liberal arts college graduate.

Comment