Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Let's stop the nonsense about federal agents in Portland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    Except one of his own brought it up.
    Are you saying that chuckie's outrage is selective? Perish the thought

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Let's stop the nonsense about federal agents in Portland

Pretty much what I've been saying all along.

There have been conflicting reports about federal agents in camouflage and unmarked vehicles detaining protesters in Portland, Ore., without cause. This comes on the heels of scenes of federal officers, outfitted in blue shirts and tactical vests but no official patches or badges, protecting facilities in Washington, D.C., in June. The events have called into question the role of federal law enforcement and how it intersects with traditional policing.

While many federal law enforcement agencies are investigative in nature and have special agents, not police officers, some do have a more traditional police role. The Secret Service Uniformed Division has been in operation since 1922 and provides traditional law enforcement services around the White House and foreign embassies in the U.S. Its agents conduct operations around the president and other dignitaries, including K-9, explosive ordnance disposal, and counter-assault teams. The Capitol Police is approximately 1,500 police officers strong and functions much like a traditional police department. Many other agencies have uniformed police officers as well, including the FBI, whose police officers protect the agency’s headquarters, FBI Academy in Quantico, Va., and its enormous field offices in Washington and New York.

For all the controversy that surrounds J. Edgar Hoover today, the longtime FBI director, who died nearly a half-century ago, strongly opposed the notion of establishing a national police force. It was a primary motive for Hoover’s setting up the FBI National Academy (FBINA) in 1935. Not to be confused with the academy that trains new FBI special agents, the FBINA created the first executive training for police supervisors, some of whom were the only members of their departments to receive any formal training long ago. Today, the FBINA remains the gold standard for senior police officers who lead departments across the country and the world.

But recent videos of federal agents in Portland detaining suspects has sparked debate, and critics of President Trump and Attorney General William Barr are making analogies to secret military operations and private armies. Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) said “they are snatching people off the street with no underlying justification.” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) referred to federal agents in Portland as “Stormtroopers” in a tweet. Said Juan Chavez, director of the civil rights project at the Oregon Justice Resource Center: “It’s like stop and frisk meets Guantanamo Bay.” This is nonsense.

The federal building and courthouse in Portland have been under assault by demonstrators for more than two weeks. In addition to the “mere graffiti” that opponents of the federal response have pointed to, there has been substantial damage to windows and doors; protesters have attempted to set fire to the facility; and federal agents attempting to stop the violence have been assaulted while the protestors blind them with laser lights. Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler has sided with the protesters and told Portland police to back down. Last week he told the acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf to send the federal agents away.

While all Americans cherish the right to peaceably assemble and petition the government for a redress of grievances, what’s happening in Oregon is not that. Most jurisdictions, Portland included, require protesters to apply for a permit and comply with laws and regulations relating to protest activity. But in recent weeks, police response in cities such as Seattle, Portland and New York has been to allow protesters to flagrantly break the law without recourse. A protester who assaulted the New York Police Department chief of department during a demonstration on the Brooklyn Bridge on Thursday leaving him bloodied, was released without bail.

The federal government is sovereign to the states and does not need a governor’s or mayor’s permission to enforce federal law. If local police will not protect federal property, the federal government can. Contrary to some media reports, the federal agents making arrests in Portland can be seen wearing identifying patches on their uniforms, with “police” emblazoned on their vests, and Acting Commissioner Mark Morgan has confirmed they are Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agents. The agents have appeared in rented, unmarked vans because they are on temporary duty assignments in Portland; it’s not an effort to keep their identities secret.

Critics have pointed to arrests made by these agents away from the federal courthouse as evidence they are rounding up “innocent protesters.” Federal agents are not precluded from making probable-cause arrests, or arrests based on warrants, away from federal property. Since many of these federal teams have been in place for weeks, it is likely they have arrest packages on individuals accused of previously committing crimes who are now being identified through investigations. In several videos, agents can be seen bypassing individuals to arrest persons of apparent interest; these appear to be targeted operations, not the roundup of innocents.

All of law enforcement is accountable to the citizens by way of their elected officials. If the people of Portland, Seattle and New York are fine with having anarchy in their streets, they can continue to vote for politicians who handcuff the police and back them down. If the rest of the country wants federal law enforcement to look like that, too, they can vote that way in November. In the meantime, however, the hyperbolic references comparing U.S. federal agents to Guantanamo Bay, Stormtroopers and Nazis should stop.

It's not easy discussing rational subjects with people not inclined to rational support of law enforcement.

I've heard it said getting mugged helps the irrationality.

Comment

If I were peacefully protesting, I would make sure I did it in the daytime and I would do it peacefully, not violently.

I went by the local abortion clinic on Tuesday on my way to get some medical labs done at the hospital nearby. I saw dozens of peaceful protestors there, standing around, handing out flyers and carrying signs (not even on the abortion clinic's property). The were doing it in the daytime, they were not shouting, or intimidating anyone, or trying to burn down the clinic. They weren't even writing graffiti on the walls.

That is what I call a peaceful protest. No mistaking it for a rioting mob.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          If I were peacefully protesting, I would make sure I did it in the daytime and I would do it peacefully, not violently.
          Momma always said "nothing good happens after midnight".

I went by the local abortion clinic on Tuesday on my way to get some medical labs done at the hospital nearby. I saw dozens of peaceful protestors there, standing around, handing out flyers and carrying signs (not even on the abortion clinic's property). The were doing it in the daytime, they were not shouting, or intimidating anyone, or trying to burn down the clinic. They weren't even writing graffiti on the walls.

That is what I call a peaceful protest. No mistaking it for a rioting mob.
          Amazing, eh? The difference between what the leftist nutters will call a "peaceful protest", opposed to actual peaceful protests?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            "While all Americans cherish the right to peaceably assemble and petition the government" Does that include peaceful protesters being tear-gassed so that the president can walk a few metres to do a photo op outside a respected church?
            You mean the historic church the "peaceful protesters" set fire to mere days before? And what kind of idiot police use tear gas without masks on? Or are you just assuming it was tear gas?
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

"While all Americans cherish the right to peaceably assemble and petition the government" Does that include peaceful protesters being tear-gassed so that the president can walk a few metres to do a photo op outside a respected church?
              if you call trying to set fire to buildings cars throwing bricks etc peaceful you live in bizzaro world

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                if you call trying to set fire to buildings cars throwing bricks etc peaceful you live in bizzaro world
                Were the protesters outside the White House in June doing that?
                "It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

They are not allowed to burn buildings or drive cars or throw bricks in the White House.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Like when they were trying to pull down the statue of Jackson in Lafayette Square?

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

In early June, St. John’s Episcopal Church on Lafayette Square and across the street from the White House, where Trump walked over for his photo op, was torched by "protesters" who set a fire in the basement and apparently in a separate incident, a large one outside the church.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

They are not allowed to burn buildings or drive cars or throw bricks in the White House.
                        I asked if peaceful protesters outside the White House deserved to be tear-gassed and cited a quote from your own link concerning the [?inalienable?] right to peaceful protest.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        The things that you're liable
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life
                        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I asked if peaceful protesters outside the White House deserved to be tear-gassed and cited a quote from your own link concerning the [?inalienable?] right to peaceful protest.
                          My sincere apologies -- I responded to the wrong post, having been distracted by the deer in my back yard.

Comment

Yes, they refused a lawful order to move. No one was stopping them from protesting, just to move it our of that area.
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

...having been distracted by the deer in my back yard.
                              Supper?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Supper?
                                This was a momma and her baby. And her baby still has the white spots and is SO cute. Maybe the baby's a boy!!!!

Comment