Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The More We Evolve, the Less We Need God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    As social animals we have evolved to act with mutual reciprocity, it's a natural survival mechanism of our species. And we spell out these natural instincts in the form of laws governing our community.
    We also evolved to murder each other!

Humans: Unusually Murderous Mammals, Typically Murderous Primates
    A new study looks at rates of lethal violence across a thousand species to better understand the evolutionary origins of humanity’s own inhumanity.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...imates/501935/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
      Then you either don't understand atheism or don't know what it means to be rational.

Oh, and you didn't actually answer my question.
      Sorry I didn't respond to your attempt at a "gotcha" the way you wanted. Now are you going to continue to whine about it or actually address my argument?
      Last edited by Mountain Man; 07-11-2018, 06:50 AM.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Then you either don't understand atheism or don't know what it means to be rational.
        Atheism has nothing to say on the subject ethics. So would it be rational to call one chimp killing another chimp evil? Why?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
          As social animals we have evolved to act with mutual reciprocity, it's a natural survival mechanism of our species. And we spell out these natural instincts in the form of laws governing our community.
          Still doesn't answer the question. You're stuck in the "is-ought" fallacy. Just because cooperation is advantageous does not prove that one ought to cooperate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Try reading the essay. You might learn something.
            I skimmed it and found it was completely irrelevant to the point you weren't defending.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
              I skimmed it and found it was completely irrelevant to the point you weren't defending.
              Chuck asked for the Christian perspective on morality. I gave him a link to an excellent essay by one of the top philosophers in the world today who is also a Christian. We're also discussing whether or not atheism can account for moral oughts, which is the topic of the essay in question. So tell me, in what way was this "completely irrelevant" to my point? Maybe if you had taken the time to actually read instead of "skimming" then you wouldn't make such ignorant remarks.

Comment

Sorry I didn't respond to your attempt at a "gotcha" the way you wanted. Now are you going to continue to whine about it or actually address my argument?
                You said, "if atheism is true then good and evil are irrational concepts." I did address that.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                  So would it be rational to call one chimp killing another chimp evil? Why?
                  When the discussion is about whether some behavior is morally acceptable, I think the question "What about when chimpanzees do it?" is an attempt to change the subject.

Comment

We also evolved to murder each other!
                    Which proves what, the essential depravity of man? Come now. Was the recent cave rescue in Buddhist Thailand an example of man's essential depravity? It was quite the reverse!

We mitigate our negative instincts by punishing anti-social behaviour and reinforce our positive instincts by promoting accepted social behaviour. This in order to enhance the cohesive society essential for our survival as a species.
                    Last edited by Tassman; 07-12-2018, 12:35 AM.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

When the discussion is about whether some behavior is morally acceptable, I think the question "What about when chimpanzees do it?" is an attempt to change the subject.
                      Well no, if atheism is true what is left but biology? And like Chimps and other primates (our cousins) we are biologically determined to harm each other. We would not call one chimp killing another chimp evil, so why do we overlay that description on our behavior?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        Which proves what, the essential depravity of man? Come now. Was the recent cave rescue in Buddhist Thailand an example of man's essential depravity? It was quite the reverse!

We mitigate our negative instincts by punishing anti-social behaviour and reinforce our positive instincts by promoting accepted social behaviour. This in order to enhance the cohesive society essential for our survival as a species.
                        See you like certain instincts, but not others. And the strong killing the weak, and the strong passing on their genes would also be good for survival.

Comment

See you like certain instincts, but not others. And the strong killing the weak, and the strong passing on their genes would also be good for survival.
                          It is not necessarily the strong that specifically survive to pass on their genes. It is the attributes that contribute to the survival of the species. Social cooperation and nurturing are attributes that contribute to the survival of the species. In fact the evolution of humans we are not as strong, our hearing is not as good, and our senses are not as good as many other animals, because evolution favored intellectual and social development.
                          Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-12-2018, 06:41 AM.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

You said, "if atheism is true then good and evil are irrational concepts." I did address that.
                            Yes, you addressed it by attempting to trap me with a "gotcha" question and then cried about it when I neatly sidestepped your trap and cut your legs out from under you. Now stop playing these silly games and see if you can actually get beyond the first sentence of my argument.

Comment

Try reading the essay. You might learn something.
                              It seems you did not learn anything, or why are you so afraid to provide anything but argument by weblink?
                              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]28814[/ATTACH]
                                Yip yip yip yip!
                                Attached Files

Comment