Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CNN - Steve Cortes: Trump's Baltimore Tweets Not Racist,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNN - Steve Cortes: Trump's Baltimore Tweets Not Racist,

Wow, from a CNN guy?

Steve Cortes: Trump's Baltimore Tweets Not Racist, No Human Wants To Live In Rat-Infested Ghetto

CNN political commentator Steve Cortes makes the case that President Trump's tweets about Baltimore's rat infestation have nothing to do with race:

Transcript via CNN:
    HALA GORANI: Well, let's dig deeper into these president's latest offensive comments and the upcoming debates. Steve Cortes is a CNN political commentator and he's a member of the Trump 2020 reelection committee and he joins me now live from Chicago.

Steve, how is it OK that the president is still saying things four days later like living in Baltimore is living in hell when he's become very obvious he's offending millions of Americans with these tweets and comments?

STEVE CORTES, CNN POLITICAL COMMENTATOR: Well, Hala, I think what he's actually doing is providing an important contrast and the contrast is the indignation on the left, both by politicians of the Democratic Party and by most of the mainstream media in America. Their indignation when they look at conditions on the border. Because they don't like the way in which United States is carrying for illegal migrant trespassers who came into our country uninvited and un-vetted. When we contrast that --

GORANI: If you don't mind, they're not all illegal. Some of them are asylum seekers and you know this. I want to ask you about the tweets themselves. These tweets have been called racists by people --

CORTES: OK. No, no, hold on. Hold on. They are illegal. They are illegal.

GORANI: But no, you're muddying the debates right out of the gate, and you know it.

CORTES: It's not legal to cross -- it's not legal - it's not legal to cross -- no, it's I'm not. It's not legal to cross at a non-port of entry to seek asylum. So that's not true, they are illegal trespassers --

GORANI: I want to talk about the tweets now. I want to talk about the tweets.

CORTES: Right. And the tweets started with --

GORANI: So many has called them racists --

CORTES: -- and the tweets were a contrast --

GORANI: Why do you disagree?

CORTES: Because the tweets, what they did was highlighted the incredible contrast between the left that wants to care for non-Americans, illegal trespassers across our border, and yet does not seem to prioritize American citizens who live an incredibly poor conditions, who lack hope, how lack education. And in some cases who lack --

GORANI: Steve, those are not what the tweets said.

CORTES: Yes, it is. And in some cases they lack even --

GORANI: He was attacking Elijah Cummings.

CORTES: -- first-world standards of living. But he was attacking the conditions in Baltimore --

GORANI: He was attacking Elijah Cummings and he was calling people who live in Baltimore subhuman, by saying no human people would want --

CORTES: No, he was not, that's wrong. And by the way, no human does want to live in a ghetto, no human wants to live in a place that is infested with rats. That is correct and true. And certainly no Americans should --

GORANI: Baltimore has a higher median household income than some Republican controlled districts. So I'm not sure where you get the entire city is infested with rats.

CORTES: Sure. But as you well know -- I've never said that. Again, you're trying to create a strawman here saying the entire city is infested.

I didn't say that. Donald Trump didn't say that. That's not -- it's not a fair tactic.

However, there are parts of the city, which according to Bernie Sanders, not according to me, there are parts of the city which resembled the third-world. It's interesting that we didn't see outrage when Bernie Sanders said that. And by the way, it was accurate when he said it.

We didn't see outrage then why? Because it came from the left. Now that it comes from Donald Trump, there's outrage among Democratic politicians

and their allies in the mainstream media, why? Because Donald Trump says it and suddenly it becomes racist even though he never mentioned race.

What I think is racist is consigning American citizens, particularly American children to live lives that are without hope, to live in dangerous neighborhoods to go to failing schools as they do in Baltimore, as they do here in my city of Chicago, places that are completely controlled by the Democratic Party.

I think they need to be called out, the Democrats, on their exploitation of minority communities in in this country. They want their votes, but they don't want to help their communities.....

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

It's clear that he considers "human" to be synonymous with "white person," and the "rats"...well, need I go on?

I condemn this blatant white supremacism on the part of CNN in the strongest way.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      It's clear that he considers "human" to be synonymous with "white person," and the "rats"...well, need I go on?

I condemn this blatant white supremacism on the part of CNN in the strongest way.
      Meanwhile, the spangled pandemonium is missing from the zoo, and you care not a whit! Oh, the SHAME!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So... Where is the link?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          So... Where is the link?

That's going to be its own meme, eh?

Oh, and bacon.

Comment

I think it is racist to assume that only black people live in rat infested neighborhoods in Baltimore.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Wow, from a CNN guy?
              Am I missing something? The guy in the video, Steve Cortez, is not a CNN guy. He's a political commentator who was invited onto CNN. He apparently also does political commentating on CNBC, and Fox News. And they say right there in the intro that he's, "a member of the Trump 2020 reelection committee."

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                Am I missing something? The guy in the video, Steve Cortez, is not a CNN guy. He's a political commentator who was invited onto CNN. He apparently also does political commentating on CNBC, and Fox News. And they say right there in the intro that he's, "a member of the Trump 2020 reelection committee."
                Every party needs a pooper, that's why we invited you.

Comment

But, hey, at least CNN had him on.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    But, hey, at least CNN had him on.
                    That was the surprise.

Comment

Honestly I don't watch CNN enough to know if it's considered rare for them to have a conservative talking head on once in a while. Is it?

Comment

Honestly I don't watch CNN enough to know if it's considered rare for them to have a conservative talking head on once in a while. Is it?
                        Not particularly
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment