Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Dashcam recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Extreme heat in Canada?
    That means that water can go from its solid state to a liquid state.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Extreme heat in Canada?

Yeah if I leave my car outside in the sun, the suction cup sometimes comes loose but not often. You could always glue the suction cup to the windshield. or get one that mounts to the rear view mirror. Some will attach to the post that the rear view mirror hangs from.

as far as I know, all dash cams have batteries AND cords. The batteries are just to keep recording in case you get in an accident and lose power. It will keep recording for 30 seconds or so. As far as dash mounting, I don't know. It seems like if you mounted it on the dash, it would not be able to see what is ahead very well from such a low angle.
      Somebody suggested glue, which makes me cringe so we likely won't do that.

And I believe that the batteries are rechargeable so may come with a cord, or you might need a charger, which we have.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Somebody suggested glue, which makes me cringe so we likely won't do that.

And I believe that the batteries are rechargeable so may come with a cord, or you might need a charger, which we have.
        The batteries are only for when you lose power. The cameras get their normal power from your cigarette lighter which also keep the battery charged. Some only have a capacitor instead of a battery. It only needs to keep it on for 30 seconds or so if you lose power.

Comment

The batteries are only for when you lose power. The cameras get their normal power from your cigarette lighter which also keep the battery charged. Some only have a capacitor instead of a battery. It only needs to keep it on for 30 seconds or so if you lose power.
          I understood that some we've looked at run on rechargeable batteries. Will have to check into that more.

I have seen some vids on the interwebz that show parking lot incidents when I assume nobody is in the car that is recording.

Those cams must run on batteries.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I understood that some we've looked at run on rechargeable batteries. Will have to check into that more.

I have seen some vids on the interwebz that show parking lot incidents when I assume nobody is in the car that is recording.

Those cams must run on batteries.
            They either run on batteries while the car is off, or you have to wire them into the car battery at the fuse box. None that I know of just run on batteries. What would be the point since you have power right there in the car?

Comment

They either run on batteries while the car is off, or you have to wire them into the car battery at the fuse box. None that I know of just run on batteries. What would be the point since you have power right there in the car?
              Will double check. Thanks, dear pirate.

Comment

You wouldn't necessarily have to wire it in at the fuse box. My van has two cigarette lighter outlets on the console. One that only has power if the engine is running, and one that gets power directly from the vehicle battery. I don't think that's a common configuration, though.
                Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                  You wouldn't necessarily have to wire it in at the fuse box. My van has two cigarette lighter outlets on the console. One that only has power if the engine is running, and one that gets power directly from the vehicle battery. I don't think that's a common configuration, though.
                  More and more of the newer cars come with a power outlet that's "always on".
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    More and more of the newer cars come with a power outlet that's "always on".
                    Ahh, ok. My van is about 10 years old and I don't often drive newer vehicles, so I guess I really don't know what's considered "common" anymore.
                    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Well, this is the dashcam we got. Only ours didn't come with the PanicSafe thingy.

We paid $69.99 for it at Staples. The only complaint I have is that the instruction book is sorely lacking on how to set it up, and there are some things that I need to either ask you guys about, maybe.

I may ask MelMak first because he at least gets the tech stuff that I don't understand.

Also, it's EXTREMELY difficult to get the camera off the mount, so we may be leaving it in the vehicle when we are in a store for a little while, and just bring it in the house when we are home.

I like that it's really slim and has a nice largish screen compared to some others we saw.

I'll let you know how we like it.

Comment

Used the cam for the first time tonight. Came home and looked at the video. It's very, very clear, and a nice wide view, although the peripheral is likely not any better than another camera.

MelMak helped with a couple of things in the instructions, but the rest I can't figure out. However, it's set to default for those things, so I am not going to worry about it.

It comes with an 8G memory card, and I splurged $10 on a 32G, so it will hold about 4 hours at the resolution it's set at.

So far, I like it!

Comment

Used the cam for the first time tonight. Came home and looked at the video. It's very, very clear, and a nice wide view, although the peripheral is likely not any better than another camera.

MelMak helped with a couple of things in the instructions, but the rest I can't figure out. However, it's set to default for those things, so I am not going to worry about it.

It comes with an 8G memory card, and I splurged $10 on a 32G, so it will hold about 4 hours at the resolution it's set at.

So far, I like it!
                          Just keep an eye out for UFOs and Big Foot.

Comment

The cord was long enough for us to wrap around the right side of the windshield and over to the outlet. It's a heck of a thing to get the cam off the mount, so we just unplug it and unsuction the whole thing when we leave the car.

Comment

The cord was long enough for us to wrap around the right side of the windshield and over to the outlet. It's a heck of a thing to get the cam off the mount, so we just unplug it and unsuction the whole thing when we leave the car.
                              Mine was hard to get the camera off the mount too at first, but now it's so loose it vibrates off on it's own when I am driving and I had to wrap some tape around it. I might just glue it on, because I never take it off anyway, I just pop out the sd-card when I want the video and put it in my laptop to download.

Comment