Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Church nonessential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Is simplicio a sock puppet of Charles? Their posting style is suspiciously similar.
    Slick06 made the comment the we need to remember what was essential and nonessential when we get through this. His words, his argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
      Slick06 made the comment the we need to remember what was essential and nonessential when we get through this. His words, his argument.
      And sporty's ing

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Slick06 View Post
        And sporty's ing
        With trolling being defined as daring to point out a flaw in your argument.

Comment

With trolling being defined as daring to point out a flaw in your argument.
          Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight sporty smiley snicker.gif

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
            As a New Yorker, I think people are seeing this as Upstate NY sacrificing for NYC. I watched some of today's briefing as well (until the spousal over unit couldn't take anymore) and one thing that struck me is how much Cuomo's talk focused on NYC. One slide he showed was all NYC scenes. Yes, that's the greatest need right now, yet there are over 300 cases in my county right now and I've heard concerns on the radio that the ventilators we need are going to go to the city instead. So is Cuomo focused on the state or the city? I don't get a sense from his briefings that he's concerned about any part of the state outside of the city.
            While I can understand the feelings, the fact is that over 120K of New York's 131K infection are in five counties in and around NYC. I can imagine, as governor, he's going to distribute his focus based on need. Right now, the need in NYC is ginormous. Since ventilators are in short supply, odds are that every county is going to experience a lack.

BTW - I'm not from the NYC area. I'm your neighbor across the lake in Vermont!
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
              Pirates are non-essential. Just because you CAN grog over the internet, doesn't mean you HAVE to.
              I thought you canned grog in a cannery. You can do it over the Internet!?

- I crack myself up...
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Never miss an opportunity to do you sporty? And strange that it is almost always also a shot at Christianity as well. Funny that.
                Last I checked, you lot are still considered heretics in the eyes of the Roman Catholic church.

Comment

Last I checked, you lot are still considered heretics in the eyes of the Roman Catholic church.

I don't often agree with the Roman Catholic church but...
                  "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Might want to check again, or are you just trolling?

Comment

And sporty's ing
                      So we are to remember that blue collar jobs are essential and academic jobs are nonessential, but not remember that church is nonessential?

Are were you just trolling when you responded to Sparko at post 143?

Comment

You are assuming that he's still RC and not abandoned his faith. Given the nature of his posts the that he has aposticized is far more likely.

Comment

You are assuming that he's still RC and not abandoned his faith. Given the nature of his posts the that he has aposticized is far more likely.
                          Your view of what an apostate Christian is sheds light on what you believe Christianity is:
                          The SBC is Christian and the resolutions represent Christian thought

MLK was a Bible Christian. A black Baptist preacher could have written Letter from a Birminham Jail without needing to plagiarize

Black evangelicals are Christian

Abortion is an important issue and needs real, not symbolic gestures

The religious right's rhetoric from the nineties to 2000s was spot on and entirely Christian

The Body of Christ has an important, even essential, role in society; to abandon that role of salt and light is is a betrayal of the apostolic faith.

Trump is not a messianic figure.

The Jewish practice of omitting the vowel is not apostasy; using the letter O is not some sign of divine and saving grace.

Complementarianism is not the only view a Christian can hold

On each of those, I took a firm stand, and have not been persuaded that any of those are wrong. But on each those stands, I have been labelled "not a Christian (which is used as an insult and rhetorical flourish, not a category based on the faith)

In this case you posted what you did in post 143. Maybe you did not really mean it, maybe you did not understand the implications of what you posted. So I will ask you here: What are we to remember?

Comment

Your view of what an apostate Christian is...
                            in your case based upon how you treat Christians as a whole as "the other" and not a group you belong to any more. And virtually everything you added after the first part of your post could also be said by a non-Christian secularist as well. Normally a Christian would begin with professing that Christ is his savior and redeemer.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                              While I can understand the feelings, the fact is that over 120K of New York's 131K infection are in five counties in and around NYC. I can imagine, as governor, he's going to distribute his focus based on need. Right now, the need in NYC is ginormous. Since ventilators are in short supply, odds are that every county is going to experience a lack.

BTW - I'm not from the NYC area. I'm your neighbor across the lake in Vermont!
                              We'll see. According to my local news this morning, we're still two weeks from peak in my area. I'll bet by then Cuomo won't be doing daily news conferences and the media will be saying all is well in New York because all is well in the City and that is all that matters.

I see you
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

in your case based upon how you treat Christians as a whole as "the other" and not a group you belong to any more. And virtually everything you added after the first part of your post could also be said by a non-Christian secularist as well. Normally a Christian would begin with professing that Christ is his savior and redeemer.
                                Rogue, simplicio has not said anything on this site that would indicate he is not a believer or does not follow Christ. And I have not seen him treat believers as a whole as 'the other'. You are conflating a particular secular political and ideological platform and faith in Christ. The two are not one, and in many elements diametrically opposed.
                                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-07-2020, 07:24 AM.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment