Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Ancient Greek 'Masterpiece' Revealed on Thumb-Size Gem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several nice pieces but none as old as the Pylos Combat Agate

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      Still nowhere near the intricate work on the agate from the OP.
      Living in denial. The detail is more if not greater than the Greek example.

The following are beads magnified and much smaller than the Greek figure.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e4/c0...053de5f953.jpg
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

It's some nice work, and those beads are small, but it's still nowhere near as intricate and detailed as the agate in the OP. The fact you are trying to say I'm living in denial about it is rather hilarious given your examples so far.

Comment

And for the home audience, a side by side comparison:

e4c01bba9a5893b7f0ad91053de5f953.jpg01-griffin-warrior-pylos.adapt.590.1.jpg

Um, yeah, right...
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

It's some nice work, and those beads are small, but it's still nowhere near as intricate and detailed as the agate in the OP. The fact you are trying to say I'm living in denial about it is rather hilarious given your examples so far.
            For the 'Three Stooges' with only in intricate carving from Greece, and absolutely no knowledge of the archaeology of jade and jade=like stones of China, you delusions of illusions is not hilarious it far too pathetic to even be remotely funny.

The beads to scale are less than a quarter of the size of your carving. One difference is also they have found numerous very fine drills and tools in China for making these fine carvings.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-12-2018, 09:34 PM.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

For the 'Three Stooges' with only in intricate carving from Greece, and absolutely no knowledge of the archaeology of jade and jade=like stones of China, you delusions of illusions is not hilarious it far too pathetic to even be remotely funny.

The beads to scale are less than a quarter of the size of your carving. One difference is also they have found numerous very fine drills and tools in China for making these fine carvings.
              All that would be far more convincing if you could produce a single piece from the same time that is of similar quality to the Pylos Combat Agate. So far you have not even come close.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The beads are smaller, but the details aren't nearly as intricate. The details themselves are also less refined, and are clearly the result of larger tools.

Get some glasses so you can stop "living in denial".

Comment

Calling names does not make you more convincing. I say this with no axe to grind on either side, I do not have the knowledge to take sides.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

You say the beads are magnified (and indeed they are). But there is nothing I can find after doing an image search that gives any indication of the actual size of the pieces.

There is also nothing I can find that gives an actual date.

AND more importantly, the key issue you're completely ignoring, even if the beads have detail as small and as fine as the PCA (and the artwork as brilliant, the art of the beads is crude in comparison) then we are still left with the puzzle of how did they see the level of fine detail.

The problem is not the techniques for carving stone, but the ability to actually see the detail that is being carved. For that you need magnification.
                    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                      You say the beads are magnified (and indeed they are). But there is nothing I can find after doing an image search that gives any indication of the actual size of the pieces.

There is also nothing I can find that gives an actual date.

AND more importantly, the key issue you're completely ignoring, even if the beads have detail as small and as fine as the PCA (and the artwork as brilliant, the art of the beads is crude in comparison) then we are still left with the puzzle of how did they see the level of fine detail.

The problem is not the techniques for carving stone, but the ability to actually see the detail that is being carved. For that you need magnification.
                      The detail is nowhere near as complex either. Even if those lines in the jade are really tiny, they are just nowhere near as impressive in design.

Comment

You all realize that there is absolutely NOTHING you can say to change shunyadragon's mind about this, right? He could have the thing in his palm, and he still wouldn't believe his lying eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          You all realize that there is absolutely NOTHING you can say to change shunyadragon's mind about this, right? He could have the thing in his palm, and he still wouldn't believe his lying eyes.
                          Good point. On to something more productive. What cartoon is that avatar of yours from? I remember you having something like it a long time ago. I've watched a LOT of cartoons, and it's one I don't recognize at all.

Comment

Good point. On to something more productive. What cartoon is that avatar of yours from? I remember you having something like it a long time ago. I've watched a LOT of cartoons, and it's one I don't recognize at all.
                            It's from a French animation from the 80s called Les Mondes Engloutis, otherwise known in English as "Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea". I was already older, and maybe even in my teens by the time I saw it airing in the US on Nickelodeon, so I didn't watch it regularly or anything, but I just liked how bizarre it was. French comics, fantasy, and animation is just so unique and interesting...the work of Moebius, magazines like Metal Hurlant (Heavy Metal in the US), animations like Fantastic Planet and the Triplets of Belleville, and the films Jeunet and Caro. Love that stuff.

The villains of the cartoon were a bunch of bafoonish punk pirates. Here's their theme in French:

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              It's from a French animation from the 80s called Les Mondes Engloutis, otherwise known in English as "Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea". I was already older, and maybe even in my teens by the time I saw it airing in the US on Nickelodeon, so I didn't watch it regularly or anything, but I just liked how bizarre it was. French comics, fantasy, and animation is just so unique and interesting...the work of Moebius, magazines like Metal Hurlant (Heavy Metal in the US), animations like Fantastic Planet and the Triplets of Belleville, and the films Jeunet and Caro. Love that stuff.

The villains of the cartoon were a bunch of bafoonish punk pirates. Here's their theme in French:

That is so bizarre. I would have thought I would have at least heard of it before now though.

I think it was a bit before my time. The stuff that was on regularly when I was a kid was DuckTales, Chip and Dale Rescue Ranger, Darkwing Duck, etc.

I mean, I ended up seeing a lot of Rocky and Bullwinkle, Underdog, and other old stuff, but never this. strange.

There are a decent amount of French/Canadian cartoons and animation I've really enjoyed. Code Lyoko, Atomic Puppet*, League of Super Evil, and Storm Hawks come to mind for now. I'll have to look some of this stuff up for later.

*This one is new, and hilarious. It's a great parody of super hero stuff. Since Disney XD is working with them, they are given a lot of leeway with references to Marvel characters, so that's pretty cool. If it weren't for the DuckTales reboot I never would have seen it, so I got a lot more out of them doing that than I expected.

Comment

That is so bizarre. I would have thought I would have at least heard of it before now though.

I think it was a bit before my time. The stuff that was on regularly when I was a kid was DuckTales, Chip and Dale Rescue Ranger, Darkwing Duck, etc.

I mean, I ended up seeing a lot of Rocky and Bullwinkle, Underdog, and other old stuff, but never this. strange.

There are a decent amount of French/Canadian cartoons and animation I've really enjoyed. Code Lyoko, Atomic Puppet*, League of Super Evil, and Storm Hawks come to mind for now. I'll have to look some of this stuff up for later.

*This one is new, and hilarious. It's a great parody of super hero stuff. Since Disney XD is working with them, they are given a lot of leeway with references to Marvel characters, so that's pretty cool. If it weren't for the DuckTales reboot I never would have seen it, so I got a lot more out of them doing that than I expected.
                                I think this was on just a few years before the stuff you mentioned like Ducktales and Chip and Dale. It was during a period when Nickelodeon was importing a lot of cool cartoons and shows from other countries like Danger Mouse, Count Duckula, You Can't Do That On Television, and the like. There's actually another cartoon from the same creators of Spartakus called The Mysterious Cities of Gold, but I don't think I ever caught it. The other cartoons you mentioned sound newer, so I haven't heard of them. I don't really watch much animation anymore unless it's films. Looks like a lot of good stuff out there though. The animation is so much better than it was when we were kids.

Comment