Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Benny Hinn... with a side of Costi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benny Hinn... with a side of Costi

So, about ten weeks ago, Benny famously renounced "Prosperity Gospel" preaching.

I don't keep up with the world of televangelism. Has he carried through with this? The first page of Google hits all seemed to be from September.

I know his nephew Costi opposed his prosperity preaching, and published a book on the topic. I can't say I'm much more impressed with Costi than I am with Benny. He started a Facebook page just in time to launch the book, and AFAICT has not been back to it in about four months. And he seems to be allying himself with teachers that are *almost* as far off the road as Benny, but on the other side.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

I haven't even given him 3 seconds thought for ages.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      So, about ten weeks ago, Benny famously renounced "Prosperity Gospel" preaching.

I don't keep up with the world of televangelism. Has he carried through with this? The first page of Google hits all seemed to be from September.

I know his nephew Costi opposed his prosperity preaching, and published a book on the topic. I can't say I'm much more impressed with Costi than I am with Benny. He started a Facebook page just in time to launch the book, and AFAICT has not been back to it in about four months. And he seems to be allying himself with teachers that are *almost* as far off the road as Benny, but on the other side.
      Where would you like Costi to sit? Somewhere in the middle between truth and error? Where would you like someone who comes out of another false religion, let's say, Mormonism, to sit? Somewhere between Mormonism and Christianity?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Where would you like Costi to sit? Somewhere in the middle between truth and error? Where would you like someone who comes out of another false religion, let's say, Mormonism, to sit? Somewhere between Mormonism and Christianity?
        I'd prefer he not be so cozy with people who have said Arminians are "barely" saved, who regard all Pentecostals and Charismatics as dangerous lunatics and likely heretics, and who are flat-out patriarchalists.

I regard Calvinism, cessationism, and patriarchalism all as "errors." And depending on how aggressively they are presented, I consider them as harmful as Benny's. So for me, Costi is not sitting "between" truth and error, he has just exchanged one set of errors for another.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

I'd prefer he not be so cozy with people who have said Arminians are "barely" saved, who regard all Pentecostals and Charismatics as dangerous lunatics and likely heretics, and who are flat-out patriarchalists.

I regard Calvinism, cessationism, and patriarchalism all as "errors." And depending on how aggressively they are presented, I consider them as harmful as Benny's. So for me, Costi is not sitting "between" truth and error, he has just exchanged one set of errors for another.
          You and I have always disagreed on these matters, and always will, it seems.

I came from an Arminian background. There are errors in their doctrine. I think that many Charismatics and Pentecostals are WAY too focused on experience, and are in danger of falling deeper into WoF fallacies, but I don't doubt that the majority of them are "saved", just as I don't doubt that many in Arminianism are "saved".

I am a cessationist.

I am what you are calling a patriarchalist, if by that you are referring to women teaching men.

There are four options here. You can accept what scripture says on the matter, you can ignore what scripture says, you can twist scripture to suit your own purposes, or you can reject scripture altogether. That's it, there isn't anything else.

I am thankful that Costi has come out of the WoF movement and is on the path of truth.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

IMO, cessationist belief is mostly self-fulfilling; if you don't believe it happens, you're not going to bother trying.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              You and I have always disagreed on these matters, and always will, it seems.
              Yes. Opinions are often slow to change, and slower to change back. I've changed on a few things, moved back slightly on some. None of that was *directly* due to online discussions.

I came from an Arminian background. There are errors in their doctrine. I think that many Charismatics and Pentecostals are WAY too focused on experience, and are in danger of falling deeper into WoF fallacies, but I don't doubt that the majority of them are "saved", just as I don't doubt that many in Arminianism are "saved".
              I think some Pentecostals and Charismatics are too focused on experiences, too unwilling to examine them, and too casual and superficial about doctrine. But I think cessationists are too leery of experiences. (Honestly, *I* am probably a bit too timid about them.)

I am a cessationist.

I am what you are calling a patriarchalist, if by that you are referring to women teaching men.
              Yes. I realize the term can be taken as a pejorative. I believe it is more accurate and precise than "complementarian," since egalitarians also believe that men and women are not interchangeable but rather complementary, albeit not in a hierarchical sense. Also, Scot McKnight has presented reasonable evidence that egalitarians were the first to use the language of "complementarity," but that patriarchalists adopted it because it sounds less off-putting to modern ears.

There are four options here. You can accept what scripture says on the matter, you can ignore what scripture says, you can twist scripture to suit your own purposes, or you can reject scripture altogether. That's it, there isn't anything else.
              But surely you realize that those who disagree with you on each of the areas under discussion believe that "what Scripture says" supports our views, more than it supports your views. We interpret Scripture differently. Why ascribe malice via terms such as "ignore," "twist," and "reject"?

I am thankful that Costi has come out of the WoF movement and is on the path of truth.
              Agreed at least regarding the former.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

For those of us even less au fait with these matters: what is the “other side” that Costi inclines to ? Thanks 😀

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
                  For those of us even less au fait with these matters: what is the “other side” that Costi inclines to ? Thanks 😀
                  The things that came up in my exchange with Mossy.

Pentecostals like Gordon Fee and Charismatics like Craig Keener have criticized "Word-Faith" and "Prosperity Gospel" excesses, as have the Assemblies of God. I identify aspirationally with Fee and Keener, and do not consider them out of the proper mainstream.

By the "other side," I more refer to people like John MacArthur, who denounce Pentecostal and Charismatic beliefs and practices in toto, in aggressive and inflammatory terms, in addition to holding various other views I find incorrect. The fact that they "hold" the views is not as big a problem as the combative and condescending way they express them.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

The things that came up in my exchange with Mossy.

Pentecostals like Gordon Fee and Charismatics like Craig Keener have criticized "Word-Faith" and "Prosperity Gospel" excesses, as have the Assemblies of God. I identify aspirationally with Fee and Keener, and do not consider them out of the proper mainstream.

By the "other side," I more refer to people like John MacArthur, who denounce Pentecostal and Charismatic beliefs and practices in toto, in aggressive and inflammatory terms, in addition to holding various other views I find incorrect. The fact that they "hold" the views is not as big a problem as the combative and condescending way they express them.
                    Thanks 😀😃 I like Johnnymac’s clarity - even if a milder delivery, now and then, might be no bad thing. Far too many churchmen woffle, and beat about the bush - with JM, one knows where one stands.

I know almost nothing about Fee, but what little I’ve heard is good. I have a copy of “How To Read The Bible For All It’s Worth”, which he co-wrote with Douglas Stuart. The only theology that comes through is basic Evangelical Protestantism - and not so strongly as to make the book unattractive to those of us who are neither. If someone asked me for a straightforward, accessible, intelligent, clear introduction to the Bible for a reader who had no knowledge of it, I would recommend that book. It really is outstanding 😄

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
                      Thanks 😀😃 I like Johnnymac’s clarity - even if a milder delivery, now and then, might be no bad thing. Far too many churchmen woffle, and beat about the bush - with JM, one knows where one stands.

I know almost nothing about Fee, but what little I’ve heard is good. I have a copy of “How To Read The Bible For All It’s Worth”, which he co-wrote with Douglas Stuart. The only theology that comes through is basic Evangelical Protestantism - and not so strongly as to make the book unattractive to those of us who are neither. If someone asked me for a straightforward, accessible, intelligent, clear introduction to the Bible for a reader who had no knowledge of it, I would recommend that book. It really is outstanding 😄
                      In many ways, Fee could be considered an anti-JMac. Fee is Pentecostal/Charismatic, Arminian (or at least Arminian-ish), egalitarian, eschatologically non-dispensational, not a literal-six-day Creationist, and almost always takes an irenic approach.

The whole How to... series is great. It even has good reminders for those who have been around Scripture for years or decades. And you're right: For the most part, theological conclusions are given with a light touch.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X