Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time to retire Ferguson narrative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like even some of the "fact checkers" are calling Warren and Harris out on this. FWIU the Washington Post gave their claim a full four Pinocchios

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      It looks like even some of the "fact checkers" are calling Warren and Harris out on this.
      Seriously? Any Pinocchio's?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Seriously? Any Pinocchio's?
        See my addition to the post. I should note that I can't confirm it since it is behind a paywall

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

See my addition to the post. I should note that I can't confirm it since it is behind a paywall
          Harris, Warren Wrong About Brown Shooting

On Aug. 9, 2014, Michael Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old black man, was shot and killed by a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri, in what the Obama administration’s Department of Justice determined was an act of “self-defense.” But Sens. Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren referred to Brown’s death as a “murder.”

On the fifth anniversary of Brown’s death, Harris tweeted, “Michael Brown’s murder forever changed Ferguson and America. His tragic death sparked a desperately needed conversation and a nationwide movement.” Warren tweeted: “5 years ago Michael Brown was murdered by a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri. Michael was unarmed yet he was shot 6 times.”

The Washington Post Fact Checker in March 2015 cited the DOJ report in debunking a popular belief that Brown had raised his hands in surrender and said “don’t shoot.” The DOJ investigation found: “Witness accounts suggesting that Brown was standing still with his hands raised in an unambiguous signal of surrender when Wilson shot Brown are inconsistent with the physical evidence, are otherwise not credible because of internal inconsistencies, or are not credible because of inconsistencies with other credible evidence.”

Harris and Warren may disagree with the findings of the Obama administration’s Justice Department, as Michael Brown’s father does. On the anniversary of Brown’s death on Aug. 9, Michael Brown Sr. called for a reopening of the investigation into the fatal shooting of his son.

“Justice has not been served,” he said, according to the Associated Press. “My son was murdered in cold blood, with no remorse and no medical treatment.”

We contacted the Harris and Warren campaigns about the candidates’ statements, but we have not received a response.

In their own little way, these morons are fanning the flames of racism.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It looks like even some of the "fact checkers" are calling Warren and Harris out on this. FWIU the Washington Post gave their claim a full four Pinocchios
            WashPost, FactCheck.org Call Out Harris, Warren as False on Michael Brown 'Murder'

We wouldn't normally evaluate a "fact check" when it lines up with all the available facts. But it can be noteworthy when Democrats are tagged as "Four Pinocchios" False. Both the Washington Post Fact Checker and FactCheck.org flagged Senators and presidential candidates Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren for incorrectly claiming Michael Brown was "murdered" in Ferguson, Missouri by police officer Darren Wilson.

Snopes.com hasn't arrived on this scene yet, and strangely, PolitiFact spotlighted these articles on their "Fact-checking around the web" picks while so far failing to do their own fact check.

On August 9, Sen. Harris tweeted "Michael Brown’s murder forever changed Ferguson and America," and minutes later, Sen. Warren echoed "5 years ago Michael Brown was murdered by a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri. Michael was unarmed yet he was shot 6 times."

Lori Robertson at FactCheck.org posted an article titled "Harris, Warren Wrong About Brown Shooting." She turned to the report from Obama's Justice Department in March 2015, which found that the “use of deadly force is justified when the officer has ‘probable cause to believe that the suspect pose[s] a threat of serious physical harm, either to the officer or to others.'” The report went on to say that there was “no credible evidence” disproving Wilson’s stated intent — that he believed Brown was a threat to him. "Multiple credible witnesses corroborate virtually every material aspect of Wilson’s account and are consistent with the physical evidence."

Robertson noted the Washington Post Fact Checker at that time cited the DOJ report in debunking a popular belief that Brown had raised his hands in surrender and said “don’t shoot.”

In reality, the DOJ investigation found: “Witness accounts suggesting that Brown was standing still with his hands raised in an unambiguous signal of surrender when Wilson shot Brown are inconsistent with the physical evidence, are otherwise not credible because of internal inconsistencies, or are not credible because of inconsistencies with other credible evidence.”

Post fact-checker Glenn Kessler gave these two Democrat contenders the full Pinocchio blast on Tuesday:

Comment