Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another Racist Tweet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I thought a Dixiecan was where you kept your snuff.

I have heard of Dixie cups.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      When democrats were doing such things, they were dixiecrats, more commonly known today as republicans, that's why they switched to the republican party.
      No, they weren't. They were card carrying Democrats - most until they died. The South didn't start becoming solidly Republican for another two decades - and it wasn't lead by Dixiecrats who were back to being Democrats long since. By the time the South becomes strongly Republican, most of that generation was in decline or dying off.

Seriously, it's not until the Democratic Party starts its left-ward shift in the 80's that the South begins to shift Republican - because the Yellow Dogs simply weren't a force any longer.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        No, they weren't. They were card carrying Democrats - most until they died. The South didn't start becoming solidly Republican for another two decades - and it wasn't lead by Dixiecrats who were back to being Democrats long since. By the time the South becomes strongly Republican, most of that generation was in decline or dying off.

Seriously, it's not until the Democratic Party starts its left-ward shift in the 80's that the South begins to shift Republican - because the Yellow Dogs simply weren't a force any longer.

Yeah! So there!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Some of us actually lived through those times and aren't fooled by the fairy tales that liberals tell each other.
          Last edited by rogue06; 08-13-2019, 11:19 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

in his marble mouthed way,
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Wait, you don't know what Biden's actual statement was?
              Lil jimmy has a remarkable propensity for pontificating on things he hasn't seen or read, almost always proclaiming that those who have seen or read something don't know what they're talking about (and ironically often accusing them of not having seen or read it).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Lil jimmy has a remarkable propensity for pontificating on things he hasn't seen or read, almost always proclaiming that those who have seen or read something don't know what they're talking about (and ironically often accusing them of not having seen or read it).
                To Jimmy's credit, I was paraphrasing the quote, and while I got the essence correct, I didn't have the exact wording. To my credit, I never attributed my paraphrase to Biden, although Biden's actual words weren't any better.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  "Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

The obvious implication is that white people are less likely than minorities to be poor, which reveals Biden's low opinion of non-whites.
                  Wher've you been? Well off white kids are less likely to end up poor than are poor non-whites. If you grew up in the ghetto with lousy schools you'd be more likely to end up poor as well. That's not a low opinion of non-whites, dopey. Biden is simply trying to say that with the same advantages as the well off, poor people, including white kids, but specifically non-white kids, because they are no less smart, and no less talented would do just as well as the well off white kids. Hard to believe I have to explain this to you, but that is because with your biased brain, you see only what you want to see.

Comment

Well off white kids are less likely to end up poor than are poor non-whites.
                    This is freakin GENIUS!!!!

I think Jim is giving Biden a run for his money!

(And well off black kids are less likely to end up poor than are poor white kids. )
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      The idea that yesterday's Democrats are today's Republicans and vice versa is one of the more absurd political urban legends I've come across.
                      That's because you are woefully uninformed, MM. The south was mostly democrat in the past, but they didn't like the civil rights agenda of the democratic party. That's why the more racist southern democrats became mostly republican. Actually, that was the republican stratagy.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Most of those Dixiecrats, being yellow dog Democrats, would never switch to the Republican Party. That's why they were called Dixiecrats not Dixiecans.
                        Yeah, keep telling yourself that, rogue.

Comment

Another case of everybody being wrong but you?

Comment

I grew up in the South. I've actually known real, live Yellow Dog Democrats. There is literally no way those folks would become Republicans - because the Republicans were the party of Reconstruction. Now, you Yankees might have to look up Reconstruction to get the reference - but no Southerner would need to. Being a Republican in the South was just a hair shy of being a traitor - well, we might put up with ya, but we weren't gonna like it.

Stop trying to rewrite history. The Democrats WERE the Southern party - the Dixiecrats were an offshoot that ran its course and went back to the Democratic party. Civil Rights did cause a rift in that party - but it didn't split until MUCH later and for different reasons.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                              That's because you are woefully uninformed, MM. The south was mostly democrat in the past, but they didn't like the civil rights agenda of the democratic party. That's why the more racist southern democrats became mostly republican. Actually, that was the republican stratagy.
                              Once again, Jimmy proves my theorem that the easiest way to impersonate a liberal is to simply say the dumbest thing you can think of.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Tea, the southern democrats became republicans because the democrat party supported and passed civil rights bills, first by Truman, and then by President Johnson. When Truman, a democrat, ran for the democratic nomination back in 1948 and introduced a pro civil rights platform, a faction of the party walked out and formed the Dixiecrats, held their own convention, and nominated Strom Thurmond to go up against Truman. Then 16 years later L.B. Johnson, another democrat, signed into law the civil rights act of 1964, and the voting right act of 1965, knowing at the time that by doing so the democrats were probably going to lose the south for generations to come. And that is exactly what happened. The southern democrats became republicans because of the democrat party's stance on civil rights.

Comment