Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Keeping things in perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Nonsense, we never ever tested everyone. Because everyone will want testing...
    What's so bad about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Makes sense to just get tested after you have talked to your doctor and they have ordered the test of they feel you need it. That's the way the flu test works. You go into your doctor's office, they examine you, then if they think you have the flu, they do the nose swab thing and send it off to be tested.
      And really, if you have no reason to think you're sick, the last place you want to go is a doctor's office!
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Not that anyone will take this seriously. At work (the pharmacy) we are pretty well telling everyone to use "Standard Precautions" for disease prevention. The issue from the healthcare side is that we believe that the virus has been present for sometime everywhere but it was initially thought "Oh it's just a bad flu season." The number of people that suddenly died of the flu or viral pneumonia related to the flu in my area is higher than average but not much higher than we would see during a bad flu season. However there is no way to find out if it was the flu or Covid at this point. The best thing anyone can do is just use common sense.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          All things must pass. We will get through this, no reason to set our hair on fire...
          I tend to agree. It is still not clear how dangerous this virus is but the economic damage being done by fear alone is staggering. As long as we don’t all start dropping like flies, we should try to carry on as usual.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            I don't think Trump is a reliable source for anything relating to testing. He also continues to insist that it's widely available.
            Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            I tend to agree. It is still not clear how dangerous this virus is but the economic damage being done by fear alone is staggering. As long as we don’t all start dropping like flies, we should try to carry on as usual.
            Reminder,

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
            Probably he doesn't like having to lie about such things, but it's your job, big guy. Or Pence's?
            Lying is part of their job to prevent panic.
            Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              The issue from the healthcare side is that we believe that the virus has been present for sometime everywhere but it was initially thought "Oh it's just a bad flu season." The number of people that suddenly died of the flu or viral pneumonia related to the flu in my area is higher than average but not much higher than we would see during a bad flu season.
              Exactly what demi has been saying since the start, there has been tons of undetected cases but not that many deaths. The virus itself is not that serious, but panic could be.

Comment

A top Ohio health official estimates that more than 100,000 people across the state are carrying the novel coronavirus.

Ohio Department of Health Director Amy Acton announced the number of presumed infected at a Thursday press conference, according to the Hill. The number is far above the roughly 1,300 confirmed cases in the United States reported by Thursday morning.

"We know now, just the fact of community spread, says that at least 1%, at the very least, 1% of our population is carrying this virus in Ohio today," Acton said. "We have 11.7 million people. So the math is over 100,000. So that just gives you a sense of how this virus spreads and is spreading quickly."

"Our delay in being able to test has delayed our understanding of the spread of this," Acton added.
                https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...virus-in-state
                Simple maths imply a few million infected in the US.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                . But to then declare that the early estimates are something like ten to one hundred times too high is both ridiculous and bizarre. There is absolutely no evidence that the early estimates are anywhere near that far off.
                It now appears that they are not ten to one hundred times off, but a thousand to ten thousand times.
                Last edited by demi-conservative; 03-12-2020, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                  I heard from a couple sources that we should stop listening to the coronavirus news, at least a couple days, to get away from stress caused by the news itself.

The stress caused by listening to the news can make people more vulnerable to illness.
                  This is a HUGE peeve of mine. I like to watch news. The damned "Cancel Everything!" approach means that the ONLY thing left for the talking heads to prattle about IS the Kung Flu.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    And the press fell over themselves lauding Obama with how masterfully he handled the situation even though he waited until after a thousand Americans had died to act.

Quick question.

Without resorting to Google, does anyone know how many Americans have died as a result of the Coronavirus so far? And do you remember seeing any totals provided by the MSM?
                    Last I saw, it was something like 37 out of 1600, which is a CFR a bit over 2%.

Based on the stats in the OP, that's a CFR over 100 times that of the Spanish Flu.
                    Last edited by NorrinRadd; 03-13-2020, 01:27 AM.
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                      What's so bad about that?
                      The tests are not, and will not be, of infinite supply, AND they are known to yield both false positives and false negatives.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Not that anyone will take this seriously. At work (the pharmacy) we are pretty well telling everyone to use "Standard Precautions" for disease prevention. The issue from the healthcare side is that we believe that the virus has been present for sometime everywhere but it was initially thought "Oh it's just a bad flu season." The number of people that suddenly died of the flu or viral pneumonia related to the flu in my area is higher than average but not much higher than we would see during a bad flu season. However there is no way to find out if it was the flu or Covid at this point. The best thing anyone can do is just use common sense.
                        Yeah, I had the worst "flu" of my life this winter. Wiped out my January and half of February. My throat is still messed up from coughing so hard. I know other people who were also sick for weeks, and at least one who was sick for months.

In my case, I doubt it was China Virus, because the symptom profile was much more like that of a bad case of flu. But I did not get any kind of "test," so I don't know for sure.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Once you already have the virus, travel bans are useless. They just switch off your tourism industry.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Once you already have the virus, travel bans are useless. They just switch off your tourism industry.
                            Wrong. They are useful to flatten the curve.

UK now in delay phase, containment has failed. Flattening the curve is intended to reduce pressure on health services.
                            Delay, delay, delay.

Comment

Usually if you are sick enough with the flu you would go to a clinic and get tested. I had it bad last year around this time. I went in and got checked out and they said it was Influenza A. I was pretty sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                Usually if you are sick enough with the flu you would go to a clinic and get tested. I had it bad last year around this time. I went in and got checked out and they said it was Influenza A. I was pretty sick.
                                I've never gone to the doctor for the flu. I just drink fluids, take my vitamins, and rest as much as I can until I get better. The only time I would see a doctor is if I had severe symptoms, or symptoms that didn't subside in a reasonable period of time, but that's never happened.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment