Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Is The Bible Literally True?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Same Hakeem View Post
    Eccl 1:4 saying "the earth abides forever" has nothing to do with proverbial literature.
    stupidesthingI'llreadtoday.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by ReformedApologist View Post
      Ecclesiastes 1:4 is called wisdom literature for a reason cause it uses poetry. You are an idiot.
      Still, it says " the earth abides forever" in Ecc 1:4 and there is nothing poetic in saying earth abides forever.

By the way, Matthew 5:22 says "And anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell."

Comment

• God orders to kill specifically infants in 1 Sam 15:3, children in Ezk 9:6, and anything that breathes and destroy them completely in Deuteronomy 20:16-17 contradicts God's own command stated in 2 Kings 14:6, "each is to die for his own sin".

Comment

• You really are here just to make Muslims look bad, aren't you?
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Still, it says " the earth abides forever" in Ecc 1:4 and there is nothing poetic in saying earth abides forever.

By the way, Matthew 5:22 says "And anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell."
            It says anyone who says it to another Christian. When did you become a Christian?
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Actually, it says that anyone who calls a brother or sister (i.e., fellow Christian) a fool "shall be in danger of hell fire." Are you a Christian?

ETA: Ninja'd by KG

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                You really are here just to make Muslims look bad, aren't you?
                As opposed to those who gleefully commit mass murders all in the name of defending their "Religion of Peace"?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  As opposed to those who gleefully commit mass murders all in the name of defending their "Religion of Peace"?
                  Those who gleefully commit mass murders in the name of Islam don't generally bother with the "Religion of Peace" schtick.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
                    All the Bible is to be taken literally - and to do that properly, involves recognising that the texts belong to different literary genres, so that not everything can be taken as historical fact.
                    I think you need make up your mind, RJ. It's either to be taken literally, ie as historical fact, or it is not.

The Lord of the Rings is all to be “taken literally”, but only a lunatic would take any of it as historical fact. So with much of the Bible. A lot of it uses mythological language, or is myth.
                    Myths are not historical facts, ergo, they are not to be taken literally.

OTOH, myth must not be confused with facts like the Resurrection - the Resurrection is “too real” to be mere history; it is more real than history, not less, like the invented tales of men.
                    The resurrection was not meant to be seen as myth, it was meant to be seen as an historic event, but that doesn't mean that it actually was historic. Casting demons out of a human being and into a herd of swine was meant to be seen as real and historic as well, but we don't equate mental illness with demons any longer, same with long dead people walking out of their tombs fully intact, or feeding thousands with 2 fish. You either have to accept all these things as historic or not, you can't pick and choose what you want to believe is actual and what is not actual.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Actually, it says that anyone who calls a brother or sister (i.e., fellow Christian) a fool "shall be in danger of hell fire." Are you a Christian?

ETA: Ninja'd by KG
                      You are mistaken. In Matthew 5:22, Jesus said "But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, 'Raca,' is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell."

Nowhere in Matthew 5:22 in relation to calling one 'fool' "Christian", rather it states "anyone who says, 'You fool'.."

You are reading into the text.

Comment

You are mistaken. In Matthew 5:22, Jesus said "But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, 'Raca,' is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell."

Nowhere in Matthew 5:22 in relation to calling one 'fool' "Christian", rather it states "anyone who says, 'You fool'.."

thHWPMILWT.jpg

Comment

Well, you are the expert on that.

Comment

• As I wrote previously one of theological contradictions/errors in the Bible is that God orders to kill specifically infants in 1 Sam 15:3, children in Ezk 9:6, and anything that breathes and destroy them completely in Deuteronomy 20:16-17 contradicts all together (1) God's justice in Hebrews 6:10 "God is not unjust" and (2) God's own command stated in 2 Kings 14:6, "each is to die for his own sin".

Comment

Christians are 'brothers and sisters' in the faith - no, he's reading the text correctly.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment