Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Corona - Life in lockdown Denmark.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corona - Life in lockdown Denmark.

Hello everyone, sorry for not having been more active here, but it's been some busy days at work and I really needed to just unwind this weekend.

Wednesday Denmark decided ongoing lockdown. There is widespread support of this action, including with me. It might be a bit much, but we're hoping to slow down the ramp of infected people so the hospitals won't be overwhelmed with critical cases like what is happening in Italy right now.

The company I work for, warned us all a week ago, to bring our laptops home after work every day, in case a lockdown was announced. Wednesday, while I was working at a client of ours at STIL (Styrelsen for IT og Læring "Ministry of IT and Education") it was decided by this ministry that everyone would be working from home. In solidarity with this decision the teams from the company, I work for decided to follow the same procedure, so I've worked from home for the last couple of days and expect the same for the upcoming two weeks. After that, it is anyone's guess.

Our teams committed ourselves to not lose one iota of work during this lockdown, and we're staying on track with that promise. It's taking some extra work, but nothing major.

About the only thing I'm concerned about is whether my trip to Florida in May will be canceled.

Otherwise, things are doing fine here, though feel free to ask me anything about what's going on.

What does a lockdown mean? You can't leave your home at any time, or there's a curfew?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      What does a lockdown mean? You can't leave your home at any time, or there's a curfew?
      • Any non-essential company has to send its workers home. They must work remotely where possible.
      • All school children, high schoolers and university students are sent home.
      • All surgeries are delayed, unless otherwise notified (one of my friends has a colonoscopy, but my mothers husband had his scan delayed).
      • A law was implemented two days ago, allowing the government to disallow any grouping of more than 100 people. (It has a sunset clause in 2021)
      • Daycare centers are closed in all but special circumstances.
      • Borders to the country are all closed down.
      • Citizens are strongly encouraged to practice social distancing.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        • Any non-essential company has to send its workers home. They must work remotely where possible.
        • All surgeries are delayed, unless otherwise notified (one of my friends has a colonoscopy, but my mothers husband had his scan delayed).
        • A law was implemented two days ago, allowing the government to disallow any grouping of more than 100 people. (It has a sunset clause in 2021)
        Were there cases of deaths in your location you believe warrant these measures?

I'm not sure how I feel about this clamp-down happening everywhere. Makes me uneasy. The thing that disturbs me the most is the group restriction thing. What if a church decided to ignore that because it would disrupt their services?

Comment

Only a few, but it was a decision based on expectations of how bad it could be. We have 30 available respirators for the severe cases. Simple calculations based on available data gave that 130 severe cases will have to be treated. If we receive those in three weeks at least 100 people will die, if we can slow it down to eight weeks they can be saved. So the government decided to go full out lockdown to slow it down. So far

I'm not sure how I feel about this clamp-down happening everywhere. Makes me uneasy. The thing that disturbs me the most is the group restriction thing. What if a church decided to ignore that because it would disrupt their services?
          Full solidarity from all church communities in Denmark so far.

Comment

The church we attend via live stream, located in California, has closed the church to all weekly activities except the office being open during the week. They decided to do so in accordance with the law California has brought forward to limit the size of groups. They regularly have about 5000 people in one service, and they hold 2 every Sunday morning, with the second one being live streamed.

But the pastor and the elders and their wives were there this morning, and a few visiting strangers off the street. The service was held and live streamed and there was a very good message. This church has never closed the church to the public before, and we are so grateful for the live stream that we have been doing for about 7 years now. Thank God that technology is in place. They mentioned at the end of the service that more than 10000 devices had been connected during that time, in 47 countries. There was no choir, no orchestra, just the organ and piano, there were a few good old hymns that we were able to sing along with at home, and no special music.

They plan on doing this for the rest of the month and I think they will consider doing it more as time goes by if the need arises.

Be safe, Leon. Glad there is a working solution for you at this time.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

How is the government planning to mitigate the economic impact?
              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Only a few, but it was a decision based on expectations of how bad it could be. We have 30 available respirators for the severe cases. Simple calculations based on available data gave that 130 severe cases will have to be treated. If we receive those in three weeks at least 100 people will die, if we can slow it down to eight weeks they can be saved. So the government decided to go full out lockdown to slow it down. So far

Full solidarity from all church communities in Denmark so far.
                You only have 30 respirators in the whole country??

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  You only have 30 respirators in the whole country??
                  We can't exactly yank people off them that are already using the others. But yes, we don't have a large surplus of unused respirators.

Comment

We can't exactly yank people off them that are already using the others. But yes, we don't have a large surplus of unused respirators.
                    Just a single one of our hospitals has around 20 ventilators.

Comment

How do you decide what is a non-essential company? A couple months ago I'll bet that few would have listed grocery stores. But now they are one of the few business that are allowed to stay open in Italy which has a near complete lock down.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        How do you decide what is a non-essential company? A couple months ago I'll bet that few would have listed grocery stores. But now they are one of the few business that are allowed to stay open in Italy which has a near complete lock down.
                        Stores were listed as among the essential companies. I can't remember the exact list but transporation, energy sector, medical personal, police, ... I remember the Army isolating their soldiers on the bases for now, so that they would be battle ready all the way through the Corona outbreak. There's also elder care, those were listed as among essentials. Beyond that it is something you take up for discussion with your local government. So far everyone have been making very reasonable decisions in my opinion.

My little sister is a nurse at one of the hospitals that have been dedicated to recieve Covid-19 patients, they did a pretty thorough reorganization over the weekend.

As she says it right now, it is a very quiet hospital with the whole nursing staff being in a constant mode of readiness, just waiting for the influx of patients. They and all the doctors are expecting a huge inflow eventually.

Comment

Stores were listed as among the essential companies. I can't remember the exact list but transporation, energy sector, medical personal, police, ... I remember the Army isolating their soldiers on the bases for now, so that they would be battle ready all the way through the Corona outbreak. There's also elder care, those were listed as among essentials. Beyond that it is something you take up for discussion with your local government. So far everyone have been making very reasonable decisions in my opinion.

My little sister is a nurse at one of the hospitals that have been dedicated to recieve Covid-19 patients, they did a pretty thorough reorganization over the weekend.

As she says it right now, it is a very quiet hospital with the whole nursing staff being in a constant mode of readiness, just waiting for the influx of patients. They and all the doctors are expecting a huge inflow eventually.
                          I'll assume you meant grocery stores and not all stores since I can't fathom that something like a party supply store would be considered essential.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            I'll assume you meant grocery stores and not all stores since I can't fathom that something like a party supply store would be considered essential.

The cocktail bar we had planned at the end of this month was cancelled, along with all the friday bars. I hope the Sherlock Holmes Pub survives.

Comment

The cocktail bar we had planned at the end of this month was cancelled, along with all the friday bars. I hope the Sherlock Holmes Pub survives.
                              These closings could be the death knell for numerous small businesses.

Comment