Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
    So let's repeat, shall we:

So you put quotation marks around something and when asked where that part is you quote a different part of the text. Interesting...
    Putting quotation marks around something doesn't always mean you're citing a part of a text. Paraphrasing, or even simply giving what you consider to be the "spirit" of the message can also be put inside quotation marks, even if you're not directly quoting the exact words.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
      And yet within that context made the statement.
      Right. He gave an estimate and then admitted that it could very easily be wrong. The trend we've been seeing is that the predictions have been too high.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
        In one post you are doubtful of Dr. Fauci but you have nothing but praise for Dr. Birx.
        I wasn't doubtful of Dr. Fauci, I simply pointed out his own explicit qualification that models and predictions are based on assumptions and can very easily be wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
          Putting quotation marks around something doesn't always mean you're citing a part of a text. Paraphrasing, or even simply giving what you consider to be the "spirit" of the message can also be put inside quotation marks, even if you're not directly quoting the exact words.
          Chuck knows this. He's just nitpicking as usual.

Comment

But I think one ought to make it very clear when it is not an exact quote and you use qoutation marks. In this case there was a video from which the quote could have been taken but I could not find it there either. And correcting others, saying the context is something particular and then presenting in quotation marks what is neither in the text nor in the video without making it obvious that it is not a direct quote is bad practice.
            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Right. He gave an estimate and then admitted that it could very easily be wrong. The trend we've been seeing is that the predictions have been too high.
              What trend is that?

You're currently undercounting deaths - only deaths with a positive test are considered deaths from the virus: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...re-incomplete/

There is a significant lag period between infection and death. So a trend seen today reflects infections from up to a month ago.

Deaths continue to compound by 13% per day, globally. Why you think Americans will avoid a similar fate, is anyone's guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                But I think one ought to make it very clear when it is not an exact quote and you use qoutation marks. In this case there was a video from which the quote could have been taken but I could not find it there either. And correcting others, saying the context is something particular and then presenting in quotation marks what is neither in the text nor in the video without making it obvious that it is not a direct quote is bad practice.
                I read the same post you did and understood almost immediately that he wasn't giving an exact quote, and I didn't even watch the video, nor the text he provided. The "style" of the text inside the quotation marks pretty much instantly gave it away for me. It seemed pretty obvious to me, without him having to spell it out.

Comment

I read the same post you did and understood almost immediately that he wasn't giving an exact quote, and I didn't even watch the video, nor the text he provided. The "style" of the text inside the quotation marks pretty much instantly gave it away for me. It seemed pretty obvious to me, without him having to spell it out.
                  He's a snake. One of the most partisan people on this website. That's one reason not to allow him to misrepresent implicitly. Not everyone that reads this "knows his style or that he's a snake".

Comment

• Originally posted by Zero View Post
                    ...only deaths with a positive test are considered deaths from the virus: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...re-incomplete/
                    Yes. And? Should we assume deaths without a positive test are also related to the China flu? That doesn't make sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Yes. And? Should we assume deaths without a positive test are also related to the China flu? That doesn't make sense.
                      So you agree, that deaths from the virus are being undercounted?

Comment

• Originally posted by Zara View Post
                        He's a snake. One of the most partisan people on this website. That's one reason not to allow him to misrepresent implicitly. Not everyone that reads this "knows his style or that he's a snake".
                        It's not his style, it's a general style of paraphrasing that I've seen countless people use all over the internet when they're paraphrasing or giving what they believe is the intent of a message. Whether he's a "snake" or not has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zero View Post
                          So you agree, that deaths from the virus are being undercounted?
                          We don't know.

Comment

Good for you then. How that was a given when there was a video you had not watched and a text you had not read is anyones guess, especially since the "style" in a video would be different from the "style" of a written text. And it would have been easy for him to leave no doubt about the statement by not putting quotation marks around something that was not a direct quote.
                            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Trump said he'd seen early estimates that 2.2 million people could have died if the government had done nothing in a worst-case scenario, so "if we can hold that down to 100,000" or less, it would be a "good job."
                              https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...ial-distancing

And this is from the guy who claimed he had it under control.

Comment

• Over 124,000 new cases worldwide in the last 48 hours.

In the US, almost 34,000 new cases in the last 48 hours.

The doubling period for the US is ~ 4 days,

The doubling period for deaths in the US is just a little more than 2 days.

At this rate, the US mortality will get worse, not better, even though we are doing more testing. We now stand at 1.7%, up from 1.5% last week.

Germany, the anomalous gold standard last week at <.4% has risen to .85% as mortality catches up with a rigorous testing protocol.

S. Korea, whose aggressive testing and isolation protocols have enabled them to control the spread is now showing a mortality of 1.5% as more than half their surge cases have finished the course of the disease. Whereas at one point many believed it would harbinger a better mortality because aggressive testing was allowing them to show mortalities well below 1%, around .6% or less.

Consider the difference between a president that drags his feet and a government that will not cooperate with itself and what happened in S.Korea. With a dense population and a massive exposure to a large element of the population with a super spreading event, when they had thousands of cases when we had <100, they now stand at <10,000 cases, adding maybe 100 per day, we are completely and totally out of control.

The logarithmic growth curves of nearly every major country - other than the US - show a flattening in their growth rates. Even Utaly.

But not the US, The US is still a nearly straight line in the logarithmic view, implying continued EXPONENTIAL growth.

One man holds the majority of the responsibility for this. And the people that even now cheer him on in ignorance and - due to the fact he literally is putting the brakes on aid to needy areas of the country over perceived slights by governors - in moral depravity.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment