Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Vitamin Shilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin Shilling

Dear friends, I would like to share 3 points:

1) A pertinent article on Subclinical magnesium deficiency. The abstract:

Because serum magnesium does not reflect intracellular magnesium, the latter making up more than 99% of total body magnesium, most cases of magnesium deficiency are undiagnosed. Furthermore, because of chronic diseases, medications, decreases in food crop magnesium contents, and the availability of refined and processed foods, the vast majority of people in modern societies are at risk for magnesium deficiency. Certain individuals will need to supplement with magnesium in order to prevent suboptimal magnesium deficiency, especially if trying to obtain an optimal magnesium status to prevent chronic disease. Subclinical magnesium deficiency increases the risk of numerous types of cardiovascular disease, costs nations around the world an incalculable amount of healthcare costs and suffering, and should be considered a public health crisis. That an easy, cost-effective strategy exists to prevent and treat subclinical magnesium deficiency should provide an urgent call to action.

Please also examine the list of potential clinical and lab signs of magnesium deficiency, as summarized in box 3 and box 4.

2) Dr. Carolyn Dean has written an interesting book entitled: The Magnesium Miracle. For those who wish to conduct further research, it might be worth checking out.

3) Personal anecdote: Magnesium supplementation has been instrumental in helping me recover and cope with various health woes.

Please share your experiences with vitamin supplements.

I am on Magnesium supplements prescribed by my doctor because some other medications I take cause a deficiency. I have to have regular lab work done to check my levels. Without them I get horrible charlie horses (leg cramps)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I am on Magnesium supplements prescribed by my doctor because some other medications I take cause a deficiency. I have to have regular lab work done to check my levels. Without them I get horrible charlie horses (leg cramps)
      Thanks for sharing, Sparko. Wonderful to hear how magnesium supplements are helping you.

Comment

My chiropractor advised me that magnesium in addition to some vitamin helps with bone density.

Friends have told me they take magnesium and calcium for overnight bowl cleansing. Yeah no...not gonna try that.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          My chiropractor advised me that magnesium in addition to some vitamin helps with bone density.

Friends have told me they take magnesium and calcium for overnight bowl cleansing. Yeah no...not gonna try that.
          I'm guessing you mean bowel cleansing? I find Dawn works pretty good for bowl cleansing.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I confess I'm a bit of a sucker for the snake-oil pitches. There ARE a few things that I believe have had observable effects -- some good, some bad:

-- After I started taking high doses (around six grams per day) of vitamin C 40 years or so ago, my incidence of colds decreased. So my subjective experience is that it does have some preventive value. I have not had success using it as a treatment, by the "titrating to bowel tolerance" method advocated by some of the C-vangelists; that method involves taking a gram or two every hour, starting at the first vague hint of a cold, and continuing until either all symptoms abate, or a diarrhea storm erupts. If and when the laxative effect occurs, you stop taking C just for that day, and, if cold symptoms remain, resume again tomorrow. The few times I tried it, I never noticed any improvement in cold symptoms, and only ended up adding other unwanted "symptoms" to them.

-- Zinc has been recommended for colds for some time. Around ten or fifteen years ago, a few specific formulations appeared on the market, and seemed to have some actual "studies" backing them up: lozenges containing either zinc acetate or zinc gluconate glycine, or oral sprays containing zincum gluconicum, zincum aceticum, or both. The claim is that they shorten a cold by a few days, and reduce symptoms. My experience is that they work roughly as advertised. HOWEVER, my experience is that they also cause temporary reduction or loss of sense of taste. In my case, this effect always wore off about a day after stopping treatments. According to "the Internet," many other people experienced the same side-effect, but for some of them it persisted long-term. Upon reading that, I quit using the products. AFAIK, none of the relevant companies ever acknowledged their products as being at fault.

-- In my mid-20s, almost 35 years ago, I started getting "classic" migraines (i.e. "migraine with aura") a few times a month. Also around that time, I had several incidences of kidney stones. After the first kidney stone event, my urologist recommended I reduce calcium intake. I passed about six stones that summer, and on one of the subsequent occasions, my original urologist was not available, so I got his partner. The partner said more current research was moving away from the standard "reduce calcium" idea, since evidence was showing kidney stones were paradoxically more likely when calcium levels were LOW. But he also did not recommend MORE calcium. He did recommend magnesium + vitamin B6. On my own, I had read that magnesium and riboflavin (vitamin B2) were both helpful in preventing migraines, so I started taking magnesium and high-dose B-complex. I never had any more stone-related E.R. visits after that summer, and my migraine frequency and severity diminished noticeably. I am not aware of any negative effects.

-- I had history of nosebleeds since infancy. One of the "family stories" is the time Mum checked on me and found me with my head in a "pool of blood." Panic and screaming. My dad came in, looked me over, said "He had a nosebleed. I used to get those." By seventh grade, they were frequent and intractable enough to be a major nuisance, so I got my nose cauterized. That was amazing! I basically had no nosebleeds for the next six years or so. In college, they gradually started returning, and by the time I was 30 (1990), I was back to having frequent nosebleeds often lasting half an hour or more. I started taking high dose vitamin K. Within a few weeks, I was pretty much back to where I was after the cauterization. I am not aware of any negative effects.

In the past 2 or 3 years, the migraines and nosebleeds have returned *somewhat*.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Too much vitamin C can cause kidney stones. I found that out the hard way after a friend talked me into trying megadoses of it back in the 80s.

Now I only take the vitamins that my doctor tells me to: Magnesium and Vitamin D and E. And they are just because my medical conditions and some of my other meds cause a deficiency in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I'm guessing you mean bowel cleansing? I find Dawn works pretty good for bowl cleansing.
                but it tastes so bad!

Comment

Dawn works pretty good for bowel cleansing, too.

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Dawn works pretty good for bowel cleansing, too.

Would this be experience speaking?
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Doesn't TidyBowl help remove calcium depositions?

I have tried heavy doses of vitamin C and got a respiratory infection after starting the heavy doses.

I was starting to take some Iodine but wasn't settled on what form to take. It can come from seaweed but some people identified a problem like mercury or something in the seaweed.

Comment

I once knew someone online who took Airbourne by mouth. He said it was not recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                          I was starting to take some Iodine but wasn't settled on what form to take.
                          When I was a kid, they scared us to death in school that we would get goiter if we didn't use iodized salt - and they showed us pictures of people with HUGE growths on their necks. I salted EVERYTHING!

When I was a teenager, I worked in a factory where they insisted you take salt tablets and drink water because it was hot and you'd be dehydrated.

So, what's the current scare? SALT WILL KILL YOU!!!!

Comment

When I was a kid, they scared us to death in school that we would get goiter if we didn't use iodized salt - and they showed us pictures of people with HUGE growths on their necks. I salted EVERYTHING!

When I was a teenager, I worked in a factory where they insisted you take salt tablets and drink water because it was hot and you'd be dehydrated.

So, what's the current scare? SALT WILL KILL YOU!!!!
                            I thought things were finally going back the other way some for salt.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              I thought things were finally going back the other way some for salt.
                              I have a hard time keeping track ... a daily glass of wine is good for you / alcohol in any form is bad, eggs are full of cholesterol / eggs are good for you, coffee should be limited to 2 cups a day / 2-6 cups a day is good for your heart....

The only think I think is consistent.... DARK CHOCOLATE IS HEART MEDICINE!!!!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X