Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hillary Unhinged! Tulsi Gabbard & Jill Stein Russian assets...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    That's a very firm possibility. In fact, I've been mulling over the claim that the left is (or once was) anti-war. Were they ever really anti-war, or was it just a partisan thing? Even during the Vietnam war, when the hippies had the marches, were they really anti-war or was it just a reaction against Nixon? I'm beginning to think the "anti-war left" is just a partisan charade. However, I do think there are deep establishment Dems that are truly war hawks that do benefit from military incursions. For example, the reason why the liberal media darling msnbc was so harsh against liberal voices that protested the Iraq war. But that's a whole other rabbithole to go down.
    There was a large anti-War movement during LBJ's time one which likely played a significant role in his deciding not to seek re-election.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

She didn't mention a name, but... come on... who still in the Dem primary could she have possibly been referring to? Gabbard is the only one that could run independent (even though I believe she's stated otherwise) since a lot of her policies (especially her foreign policy) don't at all fit into the typical progressive or establishment Dem mold. She's also the only one in the line-up that's been slandered as a Putin/Assad puppet continuously ( by the left media strangely enough) for her unconventional stance on Syria and military interventionism.

Who do you think she was referring to?
      You guys know Tulsi herself took the comments as directed at her, and responded aggressively on Twitter, right?
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        You guys know Tulsi herself took the comments as directed at her, and responded aggressively on Twitter, right?
        And Hillary's spokesman all but confirmed it was Tulsi when directly asked.

That, and Tulsi Gabbard has been accused of being a Russian stooge for months.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          And Hillary's spokesman all but confirmed it was Tulsi when directly asked.

That, and Tulsi Gabbard has been accused of being a Russian stooge for months.
          I believe the response to whether Hillary was referring to Tulsi Gabbard was, "if he nesting doll fits."

Gabbard in turn said that Hillary is the "embodiment of corruption, and personification of the rot" which infest the Democratic Party and challenged her to get into the campaign rather than "cowardly hid[ing]" behind proxies.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
            There always was and remains an anti-militarism wing on the left, just as on the right. To the argument about Trump, there's a small amount of truth there but it's very much not true on the whole. The progressive left, for example, didn't want Obama to enter into the Syrian civil war and still opposed Trump's (ineffectual) military strike against a Syrian airport early in his term. The progressive left has not, to my knowledge, advocated increased military action in any theater of conflict during Trump's term. And while Trump's increased use of drone attacks and increase of civilian casualties thanks to loosened rules of engagement have largely gone under the radar, the progressive criticism hasn't changed much, in degree or pitch, from Obama.

So "warmongering" doesn't work. What we're dealing with right now is the abandonment of an ally with absolutely no strategic or political value, alongside the decision to send >1000 troops to Saudi Arabia for also no strategic or political value. Ideally, folks on the left and right want the military used sparingly and with some sense of responsibility.

--Sam
            That's indeed the standard NPC talking point about a very complex situation. "But, but... the kurds are our allies." Heck, I don't even understand the situation fully and I'm about as up to speed on this geopolitical stuff as anyone only because I find it interesting more than I'm guessing the average person does. I doubt most liberals spouting off "the kurds are our allies" could even find Syria on a map if pressed to do so. I highly doubt, and I mean HIGHLY doubt most liberal NPCs understand the complexity of the situation beyond it being a convenient way to espouse more of the same anti-Trump rhetoric hysteria, so I definitely believe rogue has a point.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I believe the response to whether Hillary was referring to Tulsi Gabbard was, "if he nesting doll fits."

Gabbard in turn said that Hillary is the "embodiment of corruption, and personification of the rot" which infest the Democratic Party and challenged her to get into the campaign rather than "cowardly hid[ing]" behind proxies.
              That of course should be, "if the nesting doll fits."

Comment

That's indeed the standard NPC talking point about a very complex situation. "But, but... the kurds are our allies." Heck, I don't even understand the situation fully and I'm about as up to speed on this geopolitical stuff as anyone only because I find it interesting more than I'm guessing the average person does. I doubt most liberals spouting off "the kurds are our allies" could even find Syria on a map if pressed to do so. I highly doubt, and I mean HIGHLY doubt most liberal NPCs understand the complexity of the situation beyond it being a convenient way to espouse more of the same anti-Trump rhetoric hysteria, so I definitely believe rogue has a point.
                "Most people on the progressive left are ignorant therefore they're only motivated by alternating anti-Trump partisanship and warmongering" does not rise to the level of rigorous critique.

Most people can't name five SCOTUS justices (or three) but that doesn't mean that folks don't care about SCOTUS decisions. "It's complicated" is a fair argument ... but then that invalidates the other simplistic arguments being made about Democrats or progressive folk on the left.

--Sam
                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

"Most people on the progressive left are ignorant therefore they're only motivated by alternating anti-Trump partisanship and warmongering" does not rise to the level of rigorous critique.

Most people can't name five SCOTUS justices (or three) but that doesn't mean that folks don't care about SCOTUS decisions. "It's complicated" is a fair argument ... but then that invalidates the other simplistic arguments being made about Democrats or progressive folk on the left.

--Sam
                  Understanding how impactful a scotus decision is on our societal well-being without knowing the players making that decision by name and understanding a complex foreign entanglement in the middle east is comparing apples and oranges. Dude, seriously.

Comment

Understanding how impactful a scotus decision is on our societal well-being without knowing the players making that decision by name and understanding a complex foreign entanglement in the middle east is comparing apples and oranges. Dude, seriously.

This would presume that SCOTUS decisions are relatively simple and their effects easily discerned. I'd say it's almost always the opposite and, like geopolitical conflicts, people largely rely on news blurbs -- left, right, and center alike.

So the argument that the left is full of warmongers who are calling Syrian Kurds allies only because they're anti-Trump doesn't hold any weight. Especially considering that we went through a long and intense period when conservatives flooded Fox News, CNN, and social media with support for YPG during Obama's term.

It's a good deal more likely that folks on the left "learned" about Syrian Kurds about the same time that folks on the right did and established a baseline understanding of the relationship during that media campaign.

--Sam
                    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

This would presume that SCOTUS decisions are relatively simple and their effects easily discerned. I'd say it's almost always the opposite and, like geopolitical conflicts, people largely rely on news blurbs -- left, right, and center alike.

So the argument that the left is full of warmongers who are calling Syrian Kurds allies only because they're anti-Trump doesn't hold any weight. Especially considering that we went through a long and intense period when conservatives flooded Fox News, CNN, and social media with support for YPG during Obama's term.

It's a good deal more likely that folks on the left "learned" about Syrian Kurds about the same time that folks on the right did and established a baseline understanding of the relationship during that media campaign.

--Sam
                      "Baseline understanding" won't due to a complex situation. Like I said, they know that Trump is bad because "the kurds are our allies" NPC talking point and that's about a baseline as it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        I think for many of them their sudden new-found hawkish positions are a direct result of their being the opposite of what Trump is doing. IOW, if Trump was talking about staying in Syria indefinitely they would be declaring that we need to get out.
                        They probably would.

Democrats Are Hypocrites for Condemning Trump Over Syria

Presidential hopefuls blasted Trump for abandoning the Kurds—but want the U.S. to pull out of Afghanistan under similar conditions.

On Tuesday night, the Democratic presidential candidates vied with one another to offer the harshest condemnation of President Donald Trump’s abrupt withdrawal of American troops from northern Syria. Joe Biden called it “the most shameful thing that any president has done in modern history … in terms of foreign policy.” Elizabeth Warren said Trump “has cut and run on our allies,” and “created a bigger-than-ever humanitarian crisis.” Kamala Harris announced, “Yet again Donald Trump [is] selling folks out.”

Pete Buttigieg’s denunciation was the most personal. Recalling his military service in Afghanistan, the South Bend, Indiana, mayor asked whether America’s wartime allies would ever trust it again. “When I was deployed,” he declared, “not just the Afghan National Army forces but the janitors put their lives on the line just by working with U.S. forces. I would have a hard time today looking an Afghan civilian or soldier in the eye after what just happened over there” in Syria.

It was a powerful statement—but also an ironic one. Because if Trump’s unilateral, non-negotiated withdrawal from northern Syria makes it harder for Buttigieg to look America’s Afghan allies in the eye, the same might be said of the unilateral, non-negotiated withdrawal that Buttigieg and the other leading Democratic candidates are proposing in Afghanistan itself.

At this week’s debate, Warren explained that the United States should only have withdrawn its troops from northern Syria “through a negotiated solution.” But speaking about Afghanistan last month in Houston, she rejected that very same principle. ABC’s David Muir asked whether she would “bring the [American] troops home starting right now with no deal with the Taliban.” Warren replied, “Yes.”

In Houston, Warren’s rivals also refused to condition America’s withdrawal from Afghanistan on a negotiated deal. When Muir asked Buttigieg whether he would stick to his pledge to withdraw all U.S. troops from Afghanistan in his first year despite warnings from top American commanders, Buttigieg ducked the question and insisted that “we have got to put an end to endless war.” Turning to Biden, Muir cited “concerns about any possible vacuum being created in Afghanistan.” But Biden brushed them off, declaring, “We don’t need those troops there. I would bring them home.”

What makes these statements so remarkable is that experts warn that if the United States withdraws its troops from Afghanistan in the absence of a peace agreement, Afghanistan will suffer a fate remarkably similar to what is happening in northern Syria. In this week’s debate, Warren denounced Trump for having “created a bigger-than-ever humanitarian crisis.” But earlier this month, the International Crisis Group warned that, if American troops unilaterally leave Afghanistan, “Afghans could pay a heavy price” as that country’s war “would likely intensify and become more chaotic.” A Rand Corporation report in January predicted that following a unilateral American withdrawal, “civilian deaths will spike, and refugee flows will increase significantly,” and that “the major advances that Afghans have achieved in democracy, press freedom, human rights, women’s emancipation, literacy, longevity, and living standards will be rolled back.” In September, nine former American diplomats with experience in Afghanistan pleaded, “A major withdrawal of US forces should follow, not come in advance of [a] real peace agreement,” or else the United States might “betray all those who have believed our promises or stepped forward with our encouragement to promote democracy and human rights.”

Afghans themselves have offered equally ominous warnings. In February, two Afghan women—Mariam Safi, who runs the Organization for Policy Research and Development Studies in Kabul, and Muqaddesa Yourish, a commissioner on Afghanistan’s Independent Administrative Reform and Civil Service Commission—predicted that “a hasty American withdrawal will jeopardize for Afghans the future of hard-won gains such as constitutional rights, freedoms of citizens and democratic institutions.” In March, Palwasha Hassan, the executive director of the Afghan Women’s Educational Center, urged “a responsible withdrawal that is not at the expense of women’s rights.” And in July, Akram Gizabi, a leader of Afghanistan’s Hazaras, a Shia minority, noted that his people had suffered under the Taliban in “brutal, vicious and unimaginable ways” and that “women and Hazaras [had] thrived after the Taliban.” Now, Gizabi said, Taliban victims “watch with amazement that the United States is busy finding the fastest way out of Afghanistan, while leaving the Afghans to the wolves.”

The parallels between Afghanistan and northern Syria aren’t merely humanitarian. In condemning Trump’s actions in Syria, Warren accused him of having “helped ISIS get another foothold, a new lease on life.” But experts forecast a similar terrorist resurgence if Warren carries out her proposed Afghan withdrawal. Following a unilateral American departure, the Rand report predicts, “extremist groups, including Al Qaeda and the Islamic State, [will] gain additional scope to organize, recruit, and initiate terrorist attacks against U.S. regional and homeland targets.” In their joint statement, the nine former American diplomats envision “an Afghan civil war in which the Islamic State (IS) presence could expand its already strong foothold” and “the Taliban would maintain their alliance with al-Qaeda. All of this could prove catastrophic for US national security as it relates to our fight against both al-Qaeda and IS.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-syria/600253/
                        Who knows, they might actually be anti-war, but being anti-Trump is a higher priority.
                        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

At the Democratic presidential debate on Thursday, the 2020 presidential candidates argued over the nitty-gritty details of policy proposals on everything from health care to gun policy to immigration and criminal justice reform.

But when it came to what to do about the war in Afghanistan, the candidates were devoid of ideas about what to do beyond “get out, and get out fast.”

Indeed, it seems like they’re competing to one-up each other on how quickly they’ll pull US troops out of the country. When the campaign cycle started, nearly all of the candidates were pledging to remove troops by the end of their first term. Then, it changed to bringing them home by the end of their first year in office.

On Thursday night, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) moved the goalposts even closer: promising on the debate stage to pull troops out of Afghanistan immediately, even without a peace deal in place.
                          https://www.vox.com/2019/9/13/208641...fghanistan-war
                          Pulling out immediately is a hundred times more irresponsible and crazy than what they're accusing Trump of doing in Syria. They just want to pander to the public that is getting increasingly tired of war.

Comment

Hillary Unhinged!
                            She really should run. As crazy as she's getting, Trump might even win California.

Comment

Interestingly only Marianne Williamson and Andrew Yang have defended Gabbard and Cory "I am Spartacus" Booker mocked Gabbard's response to Hillary.

Both were scheduled to speak at Fortune's Most Powerful Women Summit but Hillary has suddenly backed out. Perhaps Gabbard is right about Hillary being a coward.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                                Putting up a 3rd party candidate to draw off moderate democratic voters would be a good way to increase the probability of a Trump 2nd term. Whether that is actually their plan, it's a plausible means of keeping their preferred candidate in office.

Jim
                                Please tell me this is satire.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment