Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will The Global Warming Hysterics Never Tire Of Being Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    We've reached the point where your Oxmixmudd Derangement Syndrome (ODS) has overflowed to the point you can't even read my posts and understand them.

If I start with 100, add 1, then takeaway 2, I've got 99. 99 is less than 100. If my goal is to get below 100, I have succeeded.

So if my activity that adds CO2 to the atmosphere is compensated with an activity that takes as much or more CO2 out of the atmosphere, then I have succeeded. I did not add CO2 to the atmosphere.

In the end, if we are not going to have to redefine our entire civilization and how we live our lives, we probably will need to BOTH reduce the amount of CO2 we put out on yearly basis AND find ways to pull CO2 out of the atmosphere. Or are you of a mind to ground all jet airplanes and take boats to Japan or London? It's a matter of reducing the net, not stopping altogether. It may very well be unlikely we can actually reduce our CO2 output enough without impacting civilization as we know it. So we also need to find and make use of mechanisms that reduce the NET effect of what we do.

As for the Harry/Meghan hullabaloo - that is what they (or rather Elton John) did.

Jim
    If your goal is to not drain your bank account and you are spending $500 a month but only earning $300 and you get a friend to deposit an extra $100 into your account each month you are still being short $100/month, and if you then say "Why my friend gave me $100 so I can now spend $100 more each month" then you are in even more trouble. The only way to get out of the hole is to spend less than you earn each month, even counting your friend's deposits.

Comment

I don't think so: you jumped to a different topic MM and then applied my comments to that larger topic, not to the smaller topic I am addressing. I'm not addressing the issue of all propose 'liberal' solutions and their potential impact on the economy.

I'm talking about a specific accusation of hypocrisy to one wealthy couple and then to the broader topic of whether or not their attempt to neutralize the impact of taking a private jet could actually accomplish that goal with the broadest topic addressed being whether or not sequestering efforts used as compensation for CO2 production can be effective.

Jim
      Yes, I already pointed out that you are blatantly rationalizing (the whole "it's not hypocrisy because they can afford it, and they're keeping people employed" nonsense).

Was there anything else you wished to discuss?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        If your goal is to not drain your bank account and you are spending $500 a month but only earning $300 and you get a friend to deposit an extra $100 into your account each month you are still being short $100/month, and if you then say "Why my friend gave me $100 so I can now spend $100 more each month" then you are in even more trouble. The only way to get out of the hole is to spend less than you earn each month, even counting your friend's deposits.
        Or gorging yourself at a restaurant because you can afford it while demanding that others practice moderation.

Comment

Yes, that is true. I am not debating that. If you don't have any way to pull CO2 back out of the atmosphere, then that would be a different scenario.

If your point is 'everyone can't do that' then you are correct. If your point it 'they should not live a life of privilege', then that ship has already sailed - that is who they are.

'carbon credits' is not a solution that will work for the whole world.

Perhaps the difference is that you see them as demanding we suffer while they do not.

I don't see that.

I see them advocating for fighting climate change and asking all of us - including themselves - to make changes in the way we do things so that it helps or is consistent with that goal. If they take a trip, but pay to reduce CO2 in the atmosphere by as much as or more than what they have created, then they are changing their way of doing things so it is consistent with that goal.

Jim
          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-21-2019, 04:45 PM.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Yes, I already pointed out that you are blatantly rationalizing (the whole "it's not hypocrisy because they can afford it, and they're keeping people employed" nonsense).

Was there anything else you wished to discuss?
            Not while you are being a jerk - no.

Another time, another day - sure.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I think the point is not to lessen the Co2 levels, but to first stop the increase of the existent atmospheric Co2 levels which increase will hasten the warming trend. The point is to stop it from getting worse to the point that the consequeces will be disastrous for the world. When the atmospheric C02 levels stop rising, then we can figure out how to bring those levels down, or at least keep them stable so as to not cause any more damage to the environment than has already occured.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                So, using private jets is not that bad, especially when celebrities use them while preaching drastic climate change measures?

It seems to me that the rich and famous preaching climate change while jetting around in very expensive private jets is on a par with TV preachers preaching sacrificial giving while jetting around in very expensive private jets.

Both are hypocrisy.
                Except I find the latter even more infuriating...
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Not while you are being a jerk stating facts and opinions that contradict me.
                  I think that's probably more accurate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Except I find the latter even more infuriating...
                    Well, yeah, because...

A) they should know better (if they're really Christians)
                    2) they're "all about me" when they should be all about Jesus

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      I think that's probably more accurate.
                      Not.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        I think the point is not to lessen the Co2 levels, but to first stop the increase of the existent atmospheric Co2 levels which increase will hasten the warming trend. The point is to stop it from getting worse to the point that the consequeces will be disastrous for the world. When the atmospheric C02 levels stop rising, then we can figure out how to bring those levels down, or at least keep them stable so as to not cause any more damage to the environment than has already occured.
                        Indeed. Lowering the levels is a far more difficult problem. And the truth is those complaining about the royals just find them a convenient distraction from the problem, which is the rise in co2 which is driving temeratures up. A rich person's potential hypocrisy is mostly meaningless in terms of the actual problem and its solution.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          So, using private jets is not that bad, especially when celebrities use them while preaching drastic climate change measures?
                          That’s not what I said.

It seems to me that the rich and famous preaching climate change while jetting around in very expensive private jets is on a par with TV preachers preaching sacrificial giving while jetting around in very expensive private jets.

Both are hypocrisy.
                          Indeed. But calling out the hypocrisy of a few celebrity royals or preachers does not address the issue of global warming and its damage to the environment being caused humans overall. This is my point.
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• The reason that Greenland is such attractive real estate is Global Warming. China wants it too.

The great danger is that we reach a tipping point beyond which even zero emissions won’t save us. When the last Christian dies, he will have murdered Jesus.
                            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                              The reason that Greenland is such attractive real estate is Global Warming. China wants it too.

The great danger is that we reach a tipping point beyond which even zero emissions won’t save us. When the last Christian dies, he will have murdered Jesus.
                              I think you need to have your doc dial down your meds about 3 notches.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And the truth is those complaining about the royals just find them a convenient distraction from the problem, which is the rise in co2 which is driving temeratures up.
                                I'm honestly not sure if you're deliberately misrepresenting "those complaining" or accusing them of lying, because this is certainly not anything "those complaining" have said. Either way, I'd appreciate it if you quit being a jerk. Facts MIGHT persuade people. Being a jerk, not so much.
                                A rich person's potential hypocrisy is mostly meaningless in terms of the actual problem and its solution.
                                ...except for it giving those looking on a convenient rationale for not bothering to do anything (sorta like being a jerk does).

Like others here, I am bewildered by your fervid defense of hypocrisy.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment