Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Adding RAM to old Dell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding RAM to old Dell

A while ago, I bought an old refurb Dell desktop -- Optiplex 780 "Small Form Factor."

A smaller while ago, I decided I wanted to try to upgrade the RAM from its current 8GB (4x2GB). I checked online and found it accommodates a maximum of 16 GB. I bought two 8 GB sticks.

With the holidays, and then with the Six-Week Flu and its persistent low-energy aftermath, I never got around to attempting the upgrade until last night.

Sadly, the attempt failed. On trying to boot, I immediately get a beep-code -- 1-3-2 beeps -- that the support page at Dell says indicates memory issues. It never proceeds as far as presenting an image on the monitor.

I went through the recommended troubleshooting, trying each of the 8 GB modules individually in a slot, then using one of the old 2 GB modules in the same slot. Both 8 GB modules instantly fail with the 1-3-2 code, but the 2 GB module proceeds normally. So the problem is not with the slot.

Am I likely right in believing this is a hardware issue beyond what could be fixed by something like trying to update the BIOS?
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    A while ago, I bought an old refurb Dell desktop -- Optiplex 780 "Small Form Factor."

A smaller while ago, I decided I wanted to try to upgrade the RAM from its current 8GB (4x2GB). I checked online and found it accommodates a maximum of 16 GB. I bought two 8 GB sticks.

With the holidays, and then with the Six-Week Flu and its persistent low-energy aftermath, I never got around to attempting the upgrade until last night.

Sadly, the attempt failed. On trying to boot, I immediately get a beep-code -- 1-3-2 beeps -- that the support page at Dell says indicates memory issues. It never proceeds as far as presenting an image on the monitor.

I went through the recommended troubleshooting, trying each of the 8 GB modules individually in a slot, then using one of the old 2 GB modules in the same slot. Both 8 GB modules instantly fail with the 1-3-2 code, but the 2 GB module proceeds normally. So the problem is not with the slot.

Am I likely right in believing this is a hardware issue beyond what could be fixed by something like trying to update the BIOS?
    Correct. It will not support individual 8 GB memory sticks.

Below are the memory specs and memory configuration information for the OptiPlex 780 SFF.
    Optiplex 780 Drivers, Downloads and Manuals
    Type
    DDR3 SDRAM (non-ECC memory only)
    Memory speed
    1067 MHz, 1333 MHz
    Memory connectors
    Four
    Memory modules supported
    1GB, 2GB, 4GB non-ECC
    Minimum memory
    1 GB
    Maximum memory
    16 GB
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

You have 4 Ram slots for memory? And you took 4 2 GB sticks out and put in 2 8 GB sticks? Some mother boards are picky about where you put the memory. Some have to be slot 1 and slot 2, others require slot 1 and slot 3. I haven't worked on Dell pc's in a while so I'm not sure if it matters, but something you can try.

Also, are you certain you bought the correct Ram? DDR3 ram comes in multiple speeds but some motherboards will not recognize ram that clocks higher than the specified clock speed. IOW's if your motherboard runs ram that is 1333 Mhz, and you put 2133 Mhz ram in, some motherboards will not recognize it.

Just found that Dell will not support 8 GB sticks.

ETA, ninja'd by Bill the Cat.
      Last edited by Littlejoe; 05-06-2020, 02:01 PM.
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Poop.

Ok, thanks guys. I *thought* I'd done sufficient pre-purchase research, but NOPE.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Poop.

Ok, thanks guys. I *thought* I'd done sufficient pre-purchase research, but NOPE.
          When I bought the RAM for my current system, I had to check the motherboard manufacturer's website to make sure the exact brand and model of RAM I was buying was compatible with my motherboard. It even specified the number of sticks sold together in a set, and you could only use that set by itself, and not add anything to it. In other words, when I upgrade my RAM one day, I can't add two sticks. I have to take out my two sticks and put in four sticks that are sold as a set. And before I do it, I have to make sure that the specific set of sticks I want to buy are on the motherboard manufacturer's list of approved RAM.

Sometimes, a set will work despite not being on the list, but if I remember correctly this voids the motherboard warranty. Not an issue in your case, but something to be aware of for upgrades of systems still under warranty.
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
            You have 4 Ram slots for memory? And you took 4 2 GB sticks out and put in 2 8 GB sticks? Some mother boards are picky about where you put the memory. Some have to be slot 1 and slot 2, others require slot 1 and slot 3. I haven't worked on Dell pc's in a while so I'm not sure if it matters, but something you can try.

Also, are you certain you bought the correct Ram? DDR3 ram comes in multiple speeds but some motherboards will not recognize ram that clocks higher than the specified clock speed. IOW's if your motherboard runs ram that is 1333 Mhz, and you put 2133 Mhz ram in, some motherboards will not recognize it.

Just found that Dell will not support 8 GB sticks.

ETA, ninja'd by Bill the Cat.
            My motherboard didn't automatically detect my RAM speed, and I had to set it manually in BIOS. One of the only things it didn't detect automatically the first time I booted up after assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
              When I bought the RAM for my current system, I had to check the motherboard manufacturer's website to make sure the exact brand and model of RAM I was buying was compatible with my motherboard. It even specified the number of sticks sold together in a set, and you could only use that set by itself, and not add anything to it. In other words, when I upgrade my RAM one day, I can't add two sticks. I have to take out my two sticks and put in four sticks that are sold as a set. And before I do it, I have to make sure that the specific set of sticks I want to buy are on the motherboard manufacturer's list of approved RAM.

Sometimes, a set will work despite not being on the list, but if I remember correctly this voids the motherboard warranty. Not an issue in your case, but something to be aware of for upgrades of systems still under warranty.
              I don't know that I'll ever do this again. I used to do this sort of thing all the time, but my eyesight has really deteriorated. And a Small Form Factor box is pretty crowded.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

I don't know that I'll ever do this again. I used to do this sort of thing all the time, but my eyesight has really deteriorated. And a Small Form Factor box is pretty crowded.
                Yeah, those things are basically a laptop without a built in screen and keyboard.

Comment

Poop.

I think Crucial has a pretty good "scan tool" that will tell you how many slots your computer has, and what memory is recommended/compatible.

https://www.crucial.com/store/advisor
                  Last edited by Cow Poke; 05-08-2020, 02:58 PM.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I think Crucial has a pretty good "scan tool" that will tell you how many slots your computer has, and what memory is recommended/compatible.

https://www.crucial.com/store/advisor
                    Yes, I've used them before, and I just ordered 4 DIMMs from them.

I don't remember where I got the two 8 GB modules, or why I did not get them from Crucial.

*sigh*

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Over the last 25 years or so that I've been playing with hardware, RAM has exploded in complexity; tiny details matter a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                        Over the last 25 years or so that I've been playing with hardware, RAM has exploded in complexity; tiny details matter a lot.
                        Yeah, it used to just be about physical fit and parity or non-parity.

And I remember the first time I added memory to a computer to make it a TOTAL of 1,024K instead of 640K, then needed a memory manager to access that memory above 640.

DR DOS did that just fine - I could push all my Terminate Stay Resident programs into "upper memory", including network drivers, and STILL have nearly 640K free.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, it used to just be about physical fit and parity or non-parity.

And I remember the first time I added memory to a computer to make it a TOTAL of 1,024K instead of 640K, then needed a memory manager to access that memory above 640.

DR DOS did that just fine - I could push all my Terminate Stay Resident programs into "upper memory", including network drivers, and STILL have nearly 640K free.
                          From this, I can safely guess that you're between 5-15 years older than I am

It's funny how easily discussion of computer technology (hardware AND software) suggests a specific period in history. The tech evolves so fast that I'll bet the stuff you and I had to deal with will be forgotten by humanity in the next decade...

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                            From this, I can safely guess that you're between 5-15 years older than I am

It's funny how easily discussion of computer technology (hardware AND software) suggests a specific period in history. The tech evolves so fast that I'll bet the stuff you and I had to deal with will be forgotten by humanity in the next decade...
                            As I often mention, I still have my FULL HEIGHT 10 MEGABYTE hard drive that weights a ton. AND, some 8" floppy disks.

Comment

As I often mention, I still have my FULL HEIGHT 10 MEGABYTE hard drive that weights a ton. AND, some 8" floppy disks.
                              I see your bid and I raise:

I have a working computer that runs off a 10mb HD. It still boots!

The thing is about 30 pounds :)

Comment