Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump issues at least two pardons to service members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Source: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/11/ex-navy-secretary-richard-spencer-trump-doesnt-understand-military.html

Ex- Navy Secretary: Trump “Has Very Little Understanding of What it Means to Be in the Military”
    By DANIEL POLITI

Former Navy Secretary Richard Spencer, who was fired last weekend, harshly criticized President Donald Trump in an op-ed piece, blasting the commander in chief for getting involved in a case involving a Navy SEAL who had been accused of war crimes. Writing in the Washington Post, Spencer detailed just how much Trump tried to get involved in the review of Chief Petty Officer Edward Gallagher “almost from the start,” Spencer wrote. And then at every stage of the process, which was highly unusual.

“This was a shocking and unprecedented intervention in a low-level review,” Spencer wrote.
    “It was also a reminder that the president has very little understanding of what it means to be in the military, to fight ethically or to be governed by a uniform set of rules and practices.” Before the trial against Gallagher began, Trump got involved twice. Both times he called on Spencer to remove Gallagher from the Navy brig where he was being detained. Spencer tried to push back but Trump eventually ordered the transfer. “I came to believe that Trump’s interest in the case stemmed partly from the way the defendant’s lawyers and others had worked to keep it front and center in the media,” Spencer wrote.

Gallagher was eventually acquitted of all charges except for wrongfully posing for photographs with the body of a dead ISIS fighter. After the trial was over Gallagher voluntarily filed a request to retire and then the question was whether he would be able to keep his rank and if he would be able to retain his status as a SEAL. Spencer claims he asked Trump not to get involved, but the White House counsel made it clear the president would not back down. Trump then ordered Gallagher’s rank be restored and later tweeted that he would be keeping his Trident pin.

“I recognized that the tweet revealed the president’s intent,” Spencer wrote Wednesday. “But I did not believe it to be an official order, chiefly because every action taken by the president in the case so far had either been a verbal or written command.” Spencer then claims he tried to find a way to prevent Trump from getting involved from the peer-review board that would decide Gallagher’s fate as a SEAL. And he did so without briefing Defense Secretary Mark Esper. “That was, I see in retrospect, a mistake for which I am solely responsible,” he wrote.

Spencer ends the op-ed by praising the military and sending a message to U.S. allies: “Please bear with us as we move through this moment in time.”

© Copyright Original Source

That steaming pile of butt-hurt brain-poo from Spencer would only make sense if there were a Constitutional requirement for POTUS candidates to have military experience.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      And Trump!
      No, you're pretty messed up with Trump.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        He didn't "decide" to be "judge and jury" over the UCMJ, Shuny - it is his Constitutional responsibility as Commander-in-Chief.
        Obama pardons Manning, who stole top secret information and handed it over to a foreign citizen = no problem!

Trump pardons man, who did questionable actions, to enemies that ignore the rules of war = terrible!

Just remember “Orange Man Bad!!!!” And you’ll totally understand the difference between why it’s okay for Obama to play judge and jury over the military courts, but not Trump. It totally makes sense, if you don’t think about it.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          Disagree, especially from the perspective of a draft dodger who decided to judge and jury over the authority of the Military Courts.
          The oath of enlistment:

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Why is the orders of the president put before the officers? Is it because the president is the commander and chief, of the armed forces? What law did he break Shuny? Be specific.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            The oath of enlistment:

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Why is the orders of the president put before the officers? Is it because the president is the commander and chief, of the armed forces? What law did he break Shuny? Be specific.
            Reading comprehension, lilpix, reading comprehension. Shunya never said that Trump broke the law in this instance.

Comment

Orange man just happens to be bad, the fact that he's orange with a bad hair cut is just funny.
              None of which, of course, is impeachable.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

None of which, of course, is impeachable.
                Encompassed within the "he just happens to be bad" is his impeachable offenses.

Comment

Encompassed within the "he just happens to be bad" is his impeachable offenses.
                  If, of course, one absolutely totally ignores the examples given in the Constitution that justify impeachment.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Reading comprehension, lilpix, reading comprehension. Shunya never said that Trump broke the law in this instance.
                    Than what’s the problem, Jimmy? The president is the commander and chief, that means, he is the judge and jury, on military matters and is perfectly within his powers to act the way he did.
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

If, of course, one absolutely totally ignores the examples given in the Constitution that justify impeachment.
                      No, it's all in there, and you'll have the constitutional scholars to explain it to you in the upcoming judicial hearings.

Comment

No, it's all in there, and you'll have the constitutional scholars to explain it to you in the upcoming judicial hearings.
                        Which constitutional hearings, Jim?

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                          Than what’s the problem, Jimmy? The president is the commander and chief, that means, he is the judge and jury, on military matters and is perfectly within his powers to act the way he did.
                          Again, the argument isn't about his powers, it's about his abuse of those powers whether they be illegal or not. The military has a court for a reason, they are responsible for the rule of order in their organization, and these men were obviously guilty of horrific crimes. Trump trumped the decision of that court for political reasons and signaled to the enlisted that they are free to ignore military rule.

Comment

Again, the argument isn't about his powers, it's about his abuse of those powers whether they be illegal or not. The military has a court for a reason, they are responsible for the rule of order in their organization, and these men were obviously guilty of horrific crimes. Trump trumped the decision of that court for political reasons and signaled to the enlisted that they are free to ignore military rule.
                            There's a WHOLE LOT of assumin' goin' on there, Jim.

Comment

Which constitutional hearings, Jim?
                              The judiciary hearings beginning Dec. 4th, CP. Trump (along his atty's) have been invited to come in and defend himself. Do you think he'll show up?

Comment

The judiciary hearings beginning Dec. 4th, CP. Trump (along his atty's) have been invited to come in and defend himself. Do you think he'll show up?
                                Oh, you mean the House Judiciary Committee hearings!!! No, Jim, don't be confused by the terminology -- these are just more impeachment hearings held before the Judiciary Committee, led by Nadler, yet another political hack.

Comment