Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Or, in Buttigieg's case he proclaims his belief in Jesus by reciting the Creeds regularly in church. He says that "I found in (the Episcopal Cathedral of) St. James this faith community that really takes seriously that it's urban, that it's part of a city. And just very quickly felt drawn to that community. And now for about 10 years it's been my faith home." "It was a mix of faith but also of community that really made it the right place to be".

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/02/o...eck/index.html

But it seems you are determined that nothing will persuade you that he is sincerely Christian.
    You keep morphing your original claim. You originally claimed he was a PRACTICING CHRISTIAN. not 'sincerely Christian'

And our objection is that he never claimed to be a practicing Christian.

...Or that at least he needs a LOT more practice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I believe Carp said he went to church with his wife. Or maybe it was Sea of Red?
      My wife no longer goes to a church on any regular basis, so I no longer go. I never went regularly, but I did go occasionally (when she did) if she asked me to accompany her for special occasions (Easter, Christmas, etc.). These days I only find myself in churches for specific reasons: weddings, funerals, or because my mother wants to go (that is happening less and less often as well as she gets older). I also used to contribute to some churches, but now I will only contribute to a church if it is for a well-defined purpose. For example, the local pastor and I started a program called "Neighbor-Helping-Neighbor," which provides emergency support for members of the community that need it, drawing on the resources of the community. We found that affiliating it with the church made it more likely that people would donate, and that people in need would come forward because the pastor could be counted on to keep their confidences. I donate to programs like that one.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

The Creeds are recited by the entire congregation, I know from many years experience. They are the declaration of faith as opposed to the personal testimonies believers about of how they "met Jesus", which is a characteristic of Evangelicalism .
        My cousin, who used to just go to church because she was made to, said she would just say "watermelon" over and over and nobody was ever the wiser. Same when they sang songs.

Comment

Beck’s i/v is just one of many all of which make the same point, Buttigieg is a sincere Episcopalian and regularly attends his local cathedral/church where, as is customary throughout the Anglican tradition worldwide, he would recite the Creeds as his declaration of faith. This is what Anglicans do (apart from the minority Low Church wing), as opposed to the Evangelical tradition of proclaiming via personal testimony how one came to find Jesus as personal Lord and Savior.

You yourself posted one such link:

“Asked if he thinks he would struggle with evangelical voters in states such as Iowa, he cites deep Episcopal faith in a way that values voters could understand. (He attends Episcopal Cathedral of St. James in South Bend.) “There is just a way to bring it back to the values that are actually discussed the most in scripture,” Buttigieg told me back in October at Fiddler’s. “I mean, think about foot-washing. Feet are gross, and one of the enduring images of Christianity is when the divine comes to Earth, he occupies himself with service in the most humbling way, of those who are most humble. And right now, in our leadership, we have the opposite. We have this idea that those in political service need to make sure that their powerful allies succeed, and it’s just not … it’s not the Christianity that I get in church or in scripture.”

https://www.indianapolismonthly.com/...tigieg-feature

No he hasn't. See above.
          "Episcopalian" isn't a faith Tassman. It's a denomination. Christianity is a faith. Episcopalian is supposed to be a part of it. Anyone claiming an "Episcopalian faith" shows they have no idea what faith is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            My cousin, who used to just go to church because she was made to, said she would just say "watermelon" over and over and nobody was ever the wiser. Same when they sang songs.
            Tassy is playing "how low can you go" with 'the bar'. (cue the music - How low can you go!!!!)

I wouldn't be surprised if Tassy came along and said....

"Oh dear, all I ever claimed was that Mayor Pete knew ABOUT Christianity, and there are pages and pages of proof of me saying that!!!!"
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

There is no need to add anything, the point's been made.
              Indeed.

But not the point that you seem to think

What has become crystal clear is that you have no real evidence that Buttigeg considers himself to be a practicing/committed/devout Christian. All that you've presented is what some folks who don't know him hope he is. What they want him to be. But Buttigeg himself has been noticeably silent on the matter.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Oh, the Iron E!!!!!
                Iron E.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Indeed.

But not the point that you seem to think

What has become crystal clear is that you have no real evidence that Buttigeg considers himself to be a practicing/committed/devout Christian. All that you've presented is what some folks who don't know him hope he is. What they want him to be. But Buttigeg himself has been noticeably silent on the matter.
                  I'm genuinely curious as to why Tassman has such a pressing need to 'Christainize' Buttigieg - except, of course, that a pro-abortion pro-homosexual "Christian" who ignores all but select parts of the Bible and only considers himself "more-or-less Anglican" and talks far more about homosexuality and abortion than he does about Jesus would be the only kind of "Christian" Tassman would ever pretend to accept.

(I think I just answered my own question)
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm genuinely curious as to why Tassman has such a pressing need to 'Christainize' Buttigieg - except, of course, that a pro-abortion pro-homosexual "Christian" who ignores all but select parts of the Bible and only considers himself "more-or-less Anglican" and talks far more about homosexuality and abortion than he does about Jesus would be the only kind of "Christian" Tassman would ever pretend to accept.

(I think I just answered my own question)
                    So he can try to claim Buttigieg represents "real Christianity" and we don't. It's pretty obvious from him making such dumb claims as "most Christians support gay marriage and homosexuality"

That is why he is so frustrated by us saying Buttigieg never claimed to be a practicing Christian.

Comment

I think it's been a few decades since Tassy flunked Sunday School.
                      I attended an Anglican Boarding school for five years with daily Holy Communion, Matins and Evensong at which either the Nicene Creed (re the former) and the Apostles Creed (re the latter) were recited by the entire congregation as a statement of faith of one's belief and acceptance of Jesus Christ. Apart from the minority Evangelical wing of the Anglican Communion THIS is what counts as one's declaration of faith NOT the personal testimonies about how "Jesus saved you" that you lot consider to be the true mark of a Christian.

So, whilst you haven't heard Buttigieg's personal declaration of his salvation bear in mind this is NOT What Anglicans/Episcopalians do. Nor do the majority of Christians worldwide. It's a characteristic of the minority Evangelicals who, until Vatican II, were considered by the majority church worldwide (the RCC) as heretics destined for 'hell'.
                      Last edited by Tassman; 06-18-2019, 12:45 AM.
                      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Indeed.

The contention that Buttigieg is an active member of the Episcopalian Church is supported by numerous links of interviews with him that say so, many of which I have posted. These are interviews which quote his own words and they are consistent. I don’t think there is any doubt that he considers himself a Christian even if (predictably) some Evangelicals want to argue that he is not a REAL Christian.

“Buttigieg is a devout Anglican, and has stated how his faith has been a strong influence on him. Buttigieg was baptized a Roman Catholic and attended a Catholic high school, but his family did not go to church often when he was growing up. While at Oxford he began to attend Christ Church, and by the time he returned to South Bend he felt “more-or-less Anglican”. He has cited St. Augustine, James Martin, and Garry Wills as among his religious influences. A member of the Episcopalian church, Buttigieg is a congregant at the Cathedral of St. James in downtown South Bend”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Buttigieg

Yes, I know it’s Wiki but there are a lot of reference which can be followed up.

You may choose to disbelieve Buttigieg or question his sincerely for your own reasons, but you cannot deny that he claims to be Christian.
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

I attended an Anglican Boarding school for five years with daily Holy Communion, Matins and Evensong at which either the Nicene Creed (re the former) and the Apostles Creed (re the latter) were recited by the entire congregation as a statement of faith of one's belief and acceptance of Jesus Christ. Apart from the minority Evangelical wing of the Anglican Communion THIS is what counts as one's declaration of faith NOT the personal testimonies about how "Jesus saved you" that you lot consider to be the true mark of a Christian.

So, whilst you haven't heard Buttigieg's personal declaration of his salvation bear in mind this is NOT What Anglicans/Episcopalians do. Nor do the majority of Christians worldwide. It's a characteristic of the minority Evangelicals who, until Vatican II, were considered by the majority church worldwide (the RCC) as heretics destined for 'hell'.
                          You have confused simply stating that you are a Christian (which all Christians do) with providing personal testimony about becoming saved.

Nothing more than yet another desperate attempt to move those goal posts.

Comment

The contention that Buttigieg is an active member of the Episcopalian Church is supported by numerous links of interviews with him that say so, many of which I have posted. These are interviews which quote his own words and they are consistent. I don’t think there is any doubt that he considers himself a Christian even if (predictably) some Evangelicals want to argue that he is not a REAL Christian.

“Buttigieg is a devout Anglican, and has stated how his faith has been a strong influence on him. Buttigieg was baptized a Roman Catholic and attended a Catholic high school, but his family did not go to church often when he was growing up. While at Oxford he began to attend Christ Church, and by the time he returned to South Bend he felt “more-or-less Anglican”. He has cited St. Augustine, James Martin, and Garry Wills as among his religious influences. A member of the Episcopalian church, Buttigieg is a congregant at the Cathedral of St. James in downtown South Bend”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Buttigieg

Yes, I know it’s Wiki but there are a lot of reference which can be followed up.

You may choose to disbelieve Buttigieg or question his sincerely for your own reasons, but you cannot deny that he claims to be Christian.
                            I've been watching this thread for a while. I find myself a little curious. Why is it so important to you to defend Buttigieg's Christian bonafides? When entire Christian sects point to other sects and deny they are Christian, why (especially as an atheist) get caught up in an argument about who is or is not Christian?
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                              I've been watching this thread for a while. I find myself a little curious. Why is it so important to you to defend Buttigieg's Christian bonafides? When entire Christian sects point to other sects and deny they are Christian, why (especially as an atheist) get caught up in an argument about who is or is not Christian?
                              And, let's be clear - we're not (At least I'm not) even saying Buttigieg is NOT a Christian -- simply asking for any evidence that HE claims he is.

Comment

And, let's be clear - we're not (At least I'm not) even saying Buttigieg is NOT a Christian -- simply asking for any evidence that HE claims he is.
                                I think that it's safe to say this is obvious to all accept Tass.

Comment