Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Want a liberal to give you $12,000 of their own money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want a liberal to give you $12,000 of their own money?

It appears Andrew Yang, one of the Democratic candidates, who is campaigning for a universal basic income of $1,000 a month is running a "pilot" program where he is paying 10 people $1,000/month.

Now I don't believe in universal basic income (seems impractical since if everyone gets $1k month, you would have to be taxing everyone $1K a month to pay for it just to break even) but if he wants to hand me $12K out of his own funds, I am fine with that.

You can enter here:
    https://www.yang2020.com/

Rules: https://www.yang2020.com/fd-give-rules/

Open till Sept 19. US residents only. And they would of course want to use you in their marketing campaign.
    Last edited by Sparko; 09-13-2019, 12:37 PM.

I'm reminded of a Simpsons episode where Bart and Lisa were doing work on the side using Grandpa Simpson's name because they were too young to work legally. When they were eventually found out, they wondered why Grandpa wasn't suspicious of the paychecks showing up in his name.

"Didn't you wonder why you were getting paid for doing nothing?"
    "I just assumed the Democrats were back in power."
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I'm reminded of a Simpsons episode where Bart and Lisa were doing work on the side using Grandpa Simpson's name because they were too young to work legally. When they were eventually found out, they wondered why Grandpa wasn't suspicious of the paychecks showing up in his name.

"Didn't you wonder why you were getting paid for doing nothing?"
      "I just assumed the Democrats were back in power."

Wouldn't it be funny if Yang's winners were all conservatives? Then when they went to make commercials featuring the winners, they all said, "Nah we are totally against UBI and will be voting for Trump. But if liberals are handing out their own money who are we to refuse?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Wouldn't it be funny if Yang's winners were all conservatives? Then when they went to make commercials featuring the winners, they all said, "Nah we are totally against UBI and will be voting for Trump. But if liberals are handing out their own money who are we to refuse?"
        Considering that they do a background check of the pool of potential winners they'll probably try to assure that does not happen

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Considering that they do a background check of the pool of potential winners they'll probably try to assure that does not happen
          I don't think a background check shows what party you belong to, but they might think it a good thing to say "we have republicans on board!"

Comment

I don't think a background check shows what party you belong to, but they might think it a good thing to say "we have republicans on board!"
            They could see what groups you belong to for instance and make an educated guess.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

They could see what groups you belong to for instance and make an educated guess.
              How would a background check show that?

Most background checks just show stuff like financials and arrests and stuff. Of course they might do their own deep dive, hiring a detective to try to dig up dirt on all of their "winners".

Comment

Oh, I'm sure there will be a thorough vetting process to insure that only the "correct" people are accepted.

Comment

How would a background check show that?

Most background checks just show stuff like financials and arrests and stuff. Of course they might do their own deep dive, hiring a detective to try to dig up dirt on all of their "winners".
                  Not even a deep drive. The service that my gf's law firm uses also goes through social media and the like and it's available to the public (I think you subscribe to it )

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Oh, I'm sure there will be a thorough vetting process to insure that only the "correct" people are accepted.
                    Perhaps you should enter using a woman's first name but note that you were formerly known as "Robert" or whatever.

Comment

I was going to enter, just for giggles. But upon reading the terms, I'm not going to bother. There are too many deal breakers. My winning could definitely "result in the disruption or disturbance of any event associated with the Promotion." There is every chance I would fail to "respond within 24 hours to claim Prize," given my email checking frequency. "Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any potential winner in Sponsor’s sole discretion" almost certainly rules me out. It is very likely I would be one who "fails to respond to the notification within twenty-four (24) hours, or fails to return the signed documents within twenty-four (24) hours" and would be disqualified. Given the current political climate, I really would not be inclined to "release Sponsor and all Released Parties from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action, related to any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Promotion or delivery, misdelivery, acceptance, possession, use of or inability to use any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light, whether intentional or unintentional), whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or other theory." And since I'm barely even willing to leave my house, let alone my home town, $1000 a DAY would barely convince me to agree that "Any disputes shall be governed by the laws of New York State, and shall be resolved in the courts of New York State, without regard to its or any other jurisdiction’s choice of law provisions."
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

On the basic issue of UBI: The idea seems crazy. But always in the back of my mind is the fact that Milton Friedman favored a version of it.

And I've heard even conservatives say we're going to have to explore *something* of that sort because of the changing nature of the job market.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Comment