Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hypothetical. All guns dissapear. What happens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Good idea!
    If it's such a good idea, perhaps you could explain how, exactly, we would "outlaw poverty", since we've been "at war" with it since 1964.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
      If all guns dissapeared right now what would happen? Or more accurately what would possibly happen?.

If you asked me it would be short lived.
      If you mean that all guns just vanished, then I suspect people would quickly go out and buy more and replace them.

If you mean all guns are outlawed, collected, and destroyed - I suspect a black market in guns would quickly spring up and many of the guns would eventually be replaced.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        If you mean that all guns just vanished, then I suspect people would quickly go out and buy more and replace them.
        I'm thinking he meant all guns universally, in which case there would be none to buy. However, as I pointed out earlier, I think some people would get very rich designing, manufacturing, and selling new ones.

If you mean all guns are outlawed, collected, and destroyed - I suspect a black market in guns would quickly spring up and many of the guns would eventually be replaced.
        Pretty much same as above - or imported from countries where guns are still being manufactured.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I'm thinking he meant all guns universally, in which case there would be none to buy. However, as I pointed out earlier, I think some people would get very rich designing, manufacturing, and selling new ones.

Pretty much same as above - or imported from countries where guns are still being manufactured.
          It simply a hypothetical. What would happen if guns didn't exist, and couldn't exist?

Comment

It simply a hypothetical. What would happen if guns didn't exist, and couldn't exist?
            Yeah, I got that, Captain Oblivious.

Neither was I, so rather than assume, I asked. (Look at the thread title)

Comment

If it's such a good idea, perhaps you could explain how, exactly, we would "outlaw poverty", since we've been "at war" with it since 1964.
              I thought it was pretty obvious that suggestion was tongue-in-cheek, but apparently some folks are taking it seriously.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Australia is an interesting case study. Assuming Wikipedia is correct, there were as many murders that left three or more dead in the 20-years before guns were banned as there were in the 20-years after guns were banned.
                I count 11 from 1997-2016 and 15 from 1977-1996. Even including the Melbourne incident from 2017 and the Monash incident with only 2 deaths in the 20 years after doesn't result in as many murders after as before.
                Last edited by Roy; 03-05-2018, 12:00 PM.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I thought it was pretty obvious that suggestion was tongue-in-cheek, but apparently some folks are taking it seriously.
                  It's JimL.

Comment

Wait, WHAT? and guns 'couldn't exist'?

Comment

Wait, WHAT? and guns 'couldn't exist'?
                      Perhaps a slower energy release from burning gunpowder that prevented the explosive reaction.
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        Perhaps a slower energy release from burning gunpowder that prevented the explosive reaction.
                        But, it's like saying "what if unicorns pooped cotton candy?"

Comment

It wouldn't be the first time somebody came up with a gun on a planet where no guns existed!

An alien race wants to test humanity by pitting Kirk against another alien, called a Gorn, in a fight to the death. The Gorn is bigger and stronger, but Kirk wins the day by finding and mixing together saltpeter, sulfur, and charcoal into black powder, loading them into a bamboo tube, and, using diamonds as ammunition, shooting and killing the Gorn.

Comment

But, it's like saying "what if unicorns pooped cotton candy?"
                            Apart from the non-existence of unicorns. Try 'what if guns pooped cotton candy'.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                              Apart from the non-existence of unicorns. Try 'what if guns pooped cotton candy'.
                              But the hypothetical is that guns don't exist.

Cotton candy guns do!

CS1COTTON-2.jpg

Comment

But the hypothetical is that guns don't exist.
                                You think it's a hypothetical that unicorns don't exist?

Comment