Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CNN Ratings Collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    "So a history degree really is worthless, Mr. McCoy?"

"Sorry, son. I suggest you take up basket weaving instead."
    Ignoring McCoy's conclusion Trump is purposefully causing the elements he lists to happen with a goal to undermining the US's position in the world, what elements of supporting evidence in McCoy's quote do you believe are incorrect?

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Ignoring McCoy's conclusion...
      No, I'm ignoring his petty, unfounded opinion. Calling someone "historian" doesn't magically make them more correct than anyone else. The left has become dreadfully boring and predictable since Trump was elected. I would love to see them offer some balanced, insightful critques of his presidency, weighing the positives and negatives, and offering a springboard for interesting discussion. Instead all we get is a steady stream of lowbrow "Orange man bad!" chest thumping that is loath to admit anything in favor of Trump... and you, my friend, are certainly no exception.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

No, I'm ignoring his petty, unfounded opinion. Calling someone "historian" doesn't magically make them more correct than anyone else. The left has become dreadfully boring and predictable since Trump was elected. I would love to see them offer some balanced, insightful critques of his presidency, weighing the positives and negatives, and offering a springboard for interesting discussion. Instead all we get is a steady stream of lowbrow "Orange man bad!" chest thumping that is loath to admit anything in favor of Trump... <AH>.
        The point of ignoring his conclusion would be to separate the data he uses from his opinion about the data. He makes an all encompassing and likely unprovable assertion about intent. But the intent behind the facts is not important if the acts themselves have the consequence of undermining the US position in the world. Assuming the facts are correct, it could just be incompetence, or immaturity, or some other flaw that has produced that outcome. But if the facts are correct, then Trump has been very bad for the US's position in the world.

So I thought it would be interesting to understand which of the elements of evidence he uses you agree/disagree with and why.

So - you will not specify which of the supporting elements he uses to justify his opinion are incorrect or offer evidence to support the conclusion they are wrong?

Jim
        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-06-2019, 05:49 PM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

So - you will not specify which of the supporting elements he uses to justify his opinion are incorrect or offer evidence to support the conclusion they are wrong?

Jim
          The problem is not his "supporting elements", it's how he interprets them. A real historian would have offered a balanced perspective, discussing possible good and bad consequences of the President's current policy, and not just frothing liberal hatred that deliberately averts any chance of meaningful dialog.

Comment

The problem is not his "supporting elements", it's how he interprets them. A real historian would have offered a balanced perspective, discussing possible good and bad consequences of the President's current policy, and not just frothing liberal hatred that deliberately averts any chance of meaningful dialog.
            Fair enough.

Do you believe that Trump has been good or bad for relations with our allies?

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Were that true, the MSM and the loony liberal left (I repeat myself) would still be screaming "COLLISION"!!!!
              *emphasis mine

Wow, a new way to spell 'COLLUSION'...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                *emphasis mine

Wow, a new way to spell 'COLLUSION'...

Probably thinking the liberals really had a collision with this collusion thing.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Fair enough.

Do you believe that Trump has been good or bad for relations with our allies?

Jim
                  Mixed bag. But a large percent of what is perceived of as bad is only so if you were in favor of the status quo where the U.S. was always expected to pick up the bill.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Mixed bag. But a large percent of what is perceived of as bad is only so if you were in favor of the status quo where the U.S. was always expected to pick up the bill.
                    Is this where the US consumes almost a third of the total budget, but then expects everyone else to pay for their current meal?

Comment

• Considering how much CNN is talked about on tweb, I really should read it one of these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        And I will continue to be entertained.
                        What might be more entertaining and indeed, informative would be a firstfloor news bulletin thread, sponsored by Tweb and moderated by me, and promoted as the first choice alternative to Fox News. You and me could be the board of directors. Our slogan could be something like ‘All the news that’s fit to read.’ Let’s get started!
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Can you give specifics to support that generalization?

But consider also that we need those allies. Right now russia and china are chummier than they've been in a while. And china's economy and wealth are growing like gangbusters. Together, they have 6800 nuclear weapons ro our 6200 or so, and they are 1.5 billion people to our 330 million.

Europe and Australia stood with us in 911 (the latest measyre of their ability to keep their commitment to be allies), and much of europe is in easy striking distance of russia. Without them, the free worlds capacity to stand against Russias agressions or china's long term goals is significantly reduced.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                            Considering how much CNN is talked about on tweb, I really should read it one of these days.
                            I used to be a CNN junkie back in its founding days - at any time of the day or night, I could turn it on and get "up to speed" with what's going on in the world. After a couple hours, it would be just the same thing over and over.

CNN has changed a LOT during its life - particularly when it became known as the "Clinton News Network" -- the bias has become more and more... um.. biased.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                              What might be more entertaining and indeed, informative would be a firstfloor news bulletin thread, sponsored by Tweb and moderated by me, and promoted as the first choice alternative to Fox News. You and me could be the board of directors. Our slogan could be something like ‘All the news that’s fit to read.’ Let’s get started!
                              Matters like this require much prayer and fasting.

OK, no.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                                Considering how much CNN is talked about on tweb, I really should read it one of these days.
                                If you want to be less informed, go for it.

Comment