Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's speech malfunctions from Wednesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    So, let's listen to 350 professionals

A group of 350 psychiatrists and other mental-health professionals are set to submit a petition to Congress on Thursday claiming that President Donald Trump's mental health is rapidly deteriorating amid the impeachment inquiry.

"We are speaking out at this time because we are convinced that, as the time of possible impeachment approaches, Donald Trump has the real potential to become ever more dangerous, a threat to the safety of our nation," Drs. Bandy Lee, a Yale psychiatrist, Jerrold Post, a former CIA profiler, and John Zinner, a psychiatrist at George Washington University, wrote in a statement accompanying the petition, which was first reported by the British outlet The Independent.
    Meanwhile, the only doctor in the country responsible for Trump's health and who has personally examined him (unlike the 350 quacks who signed the petition) says "the President remains in very good health overall".
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 01-11-2020, 10:57 PM.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Meanwhile, the only doctor in the country responsible for Trump's health and who has personally examined him (unlike the 350 quacks who signed the petition) says "the President remains in very good health overall".
      Would you agree that, if it could be shown that Trump isn't 6'3", it would call into question the rest of his analysis?

Comment

Would you agree that, if it could be shown that Trump isn't 6'3", it would call into question the rest of his analysis?
        Not really, because it's not like they measure height with laser precision. My height can easily vary by an inch or two depending on a number of factors, such as whether or not I'm wearing shoes, how straight I'm standing, whether it's a digital measurement or the nurse is just eyeballing it, and so on.

But I'll bite: what evidence do you have that Trump isn't the height his doctor says he is?

Comment

Not really, because it's not like they measure height with laser precision. My height can easily vary by an inch or two depending on a number of factors, such as whether or not I'm wearing shoes, how straight I'm standing, whether it's a digital measurement or the nurse is just eyeballing it, and so on.
          Fair enough.

But I'll bite: what evidence do you have that Trump isn't the height his doctor says he is?
          I thought about things a bit more and decided that arguing about his height is too close to actual TDS behavior. So I won't challenge the word of his doctor based on him appearing not to be 6'3" anymore (though he may have been that tall younger in life).
          Last edited by DivineOb; 01-12-2020, 01:32 AM.

Comment

I've been 5'16" for a number of decades now but yeah sometimes when I'm at my doctor they weigh and measure me with my shoes on and sometimes with them off.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yes. You spoke like Trump has spoken because of your medical condition. I'm asking for a fourth possibility beyond the three I listed.

Fair point. So, let's listen to 350 professionals

A group of 350 psychiatrists and other mental-health professionals are set to submit a petition to Congress on Thursday claiming that President Donald Trump's mental health is rapidly deteriorating amid the impeachment inquiry.

"We are speaking out at this time because we are convinced that, as the time of possible impeachment approaches, Donald Trump has the real potential to become ever more dangerous, a threat to the safety of our nation," Drs. Bandy Lee, a Yale psychiatrist, Jerrold Post, a former CIA profiler, and John Zinner, a psychiatrist at George Washington University, wrote in a statement accompanying the petition, which was first reported by the British outlet The Independent.
              Any doctor who diagnoses someone that they had not examined should be avoided like the plague.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I've been 5'16" for a number of decades now but yeah sometimes when I'm at my doctor they weigh and measure me with my shoes on and sometimes with them off.
                5'16", huh? Is that metric?

Comment

5'16", huh? Is that metric?
                  Me older little twin brudder from anudder mudder taught me that one.

I love using it when someone asks how tall I am. The double takes are priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Me older little twin brudder from anudder mudder taught me that one.

I love using it when someone asks how tall I am. The double takes are priceless.
                    Yeah, cause my boss liked to boast that he was 5'20".
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Found all the recent instances of sleepy Trump flubbing his words. Who knew he was such an insomniac!

Comment

Yes. You spoke like Trump has spoken because of your medical condition. I'm asking for a fourth possibility beyond the three I listed.
                        No, DOES NOT meet the definition of 'medical'.
                        Translate that next sentence into English, please - no idea what you mean there.
                        1) Mental impairment
                        2) Mental illness
                        3) Temporary impairment due to reaction to allergen or medication (that's NOT a 'medical condition' either)
                        4) Impediment of unknown cause (my category)

So yes, there are other possibilities - and I didn't include 5) Stress and 6) Fatigue since Lil already covered them.

Fair point. So, let's listen to 350 professionals

Definitely not - there's nothing professional about backseat driving (and are any of these guys even in practice?).

Eighteen years as a professional DIS tells me what an absolute crock that is - without an interview, I wouldn't even consider evaluating an STD case - and at least I'd have test results to confirm the case which is more than that group of alphabet drunk hacks can say. REAL professionals don't pretend they can do their jobs magically - any real psychiatrist or psycholgist will tell you they need to talk to the patient and get the responses before they can evaluate properly.

And 'first reported by the British'? Say what? These idiots can't even put out a normal PSA? How the heck is a Britsh paper scooping American media in their own backyard? Something is very wrong with that picture.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Found all the recent instances of sleepy Trump flubbing his words. Who knew he was such an insomniac!
                          So, guy (may) have a speech impediment and you think it's funny. Worse, you think it's diagnostic (look it up as it is being used in its medical sense).

Those idiots who thought Clinton had a brain tumor? Yeah, same exact thing.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

No. Do you know the last time anyone bothered to calibrate any height gauge in any doctor's office anywhere? If it's attached to the wall, at installation. If it's attached to the scale, at the factory. Walls and scales expand and contract with temp and they all lose precision over time. They're accurate enough for the gross measurement doctors use but NONE are accurate to laboratory standards. Heck, some are ridiculously inaccurate - but since people don't die if you get their height wrong, no one cares.

AND then there's the fact that height changes overtime - some times dramatically - yet most doctors don't gauge height for regular visits. Then there's the difficulty of a 5'3" nurse trying to measure a 6'4" man. And the half inch or so that can change over the course of a day...

So it would prove what everyone already knew - the gauges aren't precise and measurements of height vary. So what?

Oh, and one little thing more - doctors almost never measure height themselves - so why should it affect how we view his analysis? That he hired a nearsighted nurse tells me he needs help in the HR dept, not that he's a bad doctor.
                            Last edited by Teallaura; 01-12-2020, 10:59 PM.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              No.
                              Yes, I considered that he might not be as tall as he used to be and has not been remeasured recently (and I don't remember the last time I was remeasured in a physical either). In a later post to MM I recanted of the the height discussion because I realize it is pretty silly and too much of a TDS thing. I still think he's not 6'3" though.

As to the other post, Trump didn't have that "speech impediment" in the not too distant past. If this is a recent development then, as president, he owes us an explanation. As was the case with Sanders, Clinton, and others.

He's seeking to be president for a bit over 5 more years. Given the indisputable progression of his "speech impediment" over the past 3 it's a highly concerning situation to say the least. Wouldn't you feel better about giving him your vote rather than giving to Pence or Haley if you had a clear an unequivocal explanation?

Comment

Yes, I considered that he might not be as tall as he used to be and has not been remeasured recently (and I don't remember the last time I was remeasured in a physical either). In a later post to MM I recanted of the the height discussion because I realize it is pretty silly and too much of a TDS thing. I still think he's not 6'3" though.
                                We all do stupid things sometimes.

As to the other post, Trump didn't have that "speech impediment" in the not too distant past. If this is a recent development then, as president, he owes us an explanation. As was the case with Sanders, Clinton, and others.
                                DO, mine showed up in middle age - so yeah, it happens.

Rethink that - do you really want an explanation for every hiccup, bad hair day and tongue trip? Because no one owes you as employer an explanation for their private matters that do not substantively affect performance and if we set such a precedent, there will be no end. Heck, it could even be used to demand DNA - and why stop with sitting presidents? Betcha someone out there still wants to prove Obama wasn't born in Hawaii...

He's seeking to be president for a bit over 5 more years. Given the indisputable progression of his "speech impediment" over the past 3 it's a highly concerning situation to say the least. Wouldn't you feel better about giving him your vote rather than giving to Pence or Haley if you had a clear an unequivocal explanation?
                                So Biden needs a new physical and a psych eval? Because Biden has far more instances on camera that can be construed as dementia - several so bad that he literally is talking nonsense.

And there is dispute - a video montage is not diagnostic - not by a long shot. Even less so when weaponized politically.

Pence is on Trump's ticket - so, are you now mentally impaired because you literally just posted nonsense? Or can we chalk it up to 'nobody's perfect'? If the latter, be nice and show Trump the same latitude you want for yourself.
                                Last edited by Teallaura; 01-13-2020, 01:20 AM.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment