Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

400+ prosecutors sign a letter noting POTUS absent DOJ policy not to indict POTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Just ones that have sufficient evidence.
    So, no, in other words. And thus the discussion goes to whether or not people can disagree on "sufficient evidence," in this case.

"did not fully capture" is not in any way saying there were falsehoods in it.
    I can grant that "did not fully capture" is not a direct falsehood-- but allows the possibility of lying by omission.

But not the actual text of it. Right?
    But we're not questioning what the text says, in either case, only that such a statement indicates more than a simple disagreement on style.

True. I am referring to the way the relevant Democrats and press have treated Barr.
    The Democrats are likely overplaying their hand.

Again, "conflict" is the wrong word to use. It's too broad and does not - itself - capture the nature of the disagreement.
    Let me specify then. By "conflict" I simply mean that the plain reading of Mueller's text indicates that his interpretation of his report and Barr's are not harmonious.

fwiw,
    guac.
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
      That Barr's claim was positive for the president, rather than condemning.
      Given all the media attention to the "unable to make a determination clause" in Barr's write-up, and how (according to the MSM) that indicated that Trump might be at least technically in breach, maybe not.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
        Given all the media attention to the "unable to make a determination clause" in Barr's write-up, and how (according to the MSM) that indicated that Trump might be at least technically in breach, maybe not.
        I suppose that could be distant possibility. However, I don't find it likely that Barr is willing to risk contempt of Congress if he though enough of Trump's guilt to indicate it publicly. In that case, why not simply clear up what he means or go to congress, since apparently he and they would not be at odds.
        "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
        Hear my cry, hear my shout,
        Save me, save me"

Comment

No. If Barr's testimony were not true, do you honestly think Mueller would be silent?
          Mueller wasn't silent. He wrote that Atty Gen. Barr mischaracterized his work in context, nature and substance. You can't get much more direct than that. Use a dictionary and maybe even you will be able to figure out what Mueller is saying there.

Comment

• Btw, it is now up to 800 federal prosecutors who say that if it were anyone but the President, he'd have been indicted.

Comment

Not really. Mueller has already come out and refuted the press wrt Buzzfeed's lie that Trump directed Cohen to lie to Congress.

Yet, his office is clearly on record correcting press misinformation wrt Cohen. That sets a pretty strong precedent that he does not like media misrepresentations of his office's work.
              Nor does Mueller like the AG’s misrepresentations of his office's work either, it seems.

About the tone, not the actual content.
              Not just the “tone”.

Three days after Barr sent Congress his four-page letter on the “principal conclusions” of the Russia investigation, Mueller sent a letter to the attorney general objecting to how he’d framed the probe’s findings. He specifically stated that “it did not fully capture the context, nature, and substance of this Office’s work and conclusions,” and that as a result, “There is now public confusion about critical aspects of the results of our investigation.” And that “This threatens to undermine a central purpose for which the [Justice] Department appointed the Special Counsel: to assure full public confidence in the outcome of the investigations,”

This is about the content, not just an objection to the tone.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                Nor does Mueller like the AG’s misrepresentations of his office's work either, it seems.

Not just the “tone”.

Three days after Barr sent Congress his four-page letter on the “principal conclusions” of the Russia investigation, Mueller sent a letter to the attorney general objecting to how he’d framed the probe’s findings. He specifically stated that “it did not fully capture the context, nature, and substance of this Office’s work and conclusions,” and that as a result, “There is now public confusion about critical aspects of the results of our investigation.” And that “This threatens to undermine a central purpose for which the [Justice] Department appointed the Special Counsel: to assure full public confidence in the outcome of the investigations,”

This is about the content, not just an objection to the tone.
                And it is respectfully written which lends itself to distortion on this forum. When appealing to one's bosses better nature, it usually is not a good idea to say things like "You lying idiot, why have you so completely distorted the results of my report?"

To completely undermine ones boss in any challenge to a decision they have made is to embrace going scorched earth on the working relationship. And it would appear that is not Muellers style, or that mueller didnt see the mischaracterization of his findings as so eggregious it necessitated going scorched earth on his working relationship with Barr.

But Barr understood the broader context, which is why he characterized the letter as 'snitty'

Jim
                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-11-2019, 08:20 AM.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• And yet Barr has Mr. Snitty on record saying that Barr's letter was neither misleading nor inaccurate and that his primary concern was with how the story was being reported by the media, so...

The next liberal talking point is "But... but Barr refuses to release his notes of the phonecall!" to which I respond, Why should he release them? The simple fact that he has notes and witnesses should be enough to keep the dirty cop in line if he ever testifies (and trust me, Mueller testifying would be a nightmare scenario for Democrats, which is why they're dragging their feet; Nutty Nadler claims they're still "negotiating". Ha!).
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    And yet Barr has Mr. Snitty on record saying that Barr's letter was neither misleading nor inaccurate and that his primary concern was with how the story was being reported by the media, so...

The next liberal talking point is "But... but Barr refuses to release his notes of the phonecall!" to which I respond, Why should he release them? The simple fact that he has notes and witnesses should be enough to keep the dirty cop in line if he ever testifies (and trust me, Mueller testifying would be a nightmare scenario for Democrats, which is why they're dragging their feet; Nutty Nadler claims they're still "negotiating". Ha!).
                    MM, are you brain dead, or what? If Barr actually had notes and witnesses willing to testify regarding the phone call he would, without a doubt, submit them. That in itself would prevent Mueller from testifying to the contrary. The Atty Gen has shown himself to be a lying shill for the president and you sir, have what is known in the medical field as anal olecranon confusion.

Comment

• Don't worry your little head, Jimmy. You can be sure if the dirty cop lies about the phonecall then you can count on Barr releasing that information.

Comment

And yet Barr has Mr. Snitty on record saying that Barr's letter was neither misleading nor inaccurate and that his primary concern was with how the story was being reported by the media, so...

Who are you responding to in this post?

Jim
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          Who are you responding to in this post?
                          Does it matter? You're all reading from the same script.

Comment

Does it matter? You're all reading from the same script.
                            I thought that was your intent. Just checking so as to be sure. Wouldnt want to start another rant about mind reading attempts.

Jim
                            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-11-2019, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Don't worry your little head, Jimmy. You can be sure if the dirty cop lies about the phonecall then you can count on Barr releasing that information.
                              You're such a block head, MM. Why on earth would Mueller tell Barr that everything was good, that Barr's summary matched his own on the one hand and then write him a letter saying that he mischaracterized the context, nature and substance of the report. Honest to goodness you are dumber than a brick. Besides that, all Barr had to do was to release the notes to Congress and that would be the end of it. The reason he isn't cooperating is obvious, he's lying, and he is covering for the President. The administration has made it perfectly clear that they are not going to cooperate, that they are going to obstruct all the way, and there is only one logical reason for that, the President is a treasonous crook who has surrounded himself with yes men who put the President above the law, and the country. Unfortunately there are far too many naive nincompoops like yourself in the country who have to be force fed the truth, and that is what the Majority House intends to do. You, I doubt will ever get it, but enough eyes will be opened in order that they oust this treasonous, thieving Autocrat.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                                You're such a block head, MM. Why on earth would Mueller tell Barr that everything was good, that Barr's summary matched his own on the one hand and then write him a letter saying that he mischaracterized the context, nature and substance of the report.
                                Fake news. Dirty Cop Mueller never said that Barr "mischaracterized" the investigation. He said that Barr's letter to Congress "did not fully capture the context, nature, and substance" of his witch hunt, and that the public seemed confused.** This is essentially the same thing he said in his phone call with Barr while emphasizing that Barr's letter was neither inaccurate nor misleading.

** Although the only people who seemed confused by the nothing-burger that was the Mueller Report were low-information morons who believed the lies told them by the liberal media and were confidently expecting the dirty cop to march Trump out of the Oval Office in handcuffs.

Comment