Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Original sin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think that's so obviously metaphorical...
    So was what Jesus said.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Well, as far as I can see the laws must needs be eternal whether existing naturally or in the mind of god, but the fact that they exist eternally at all would make god (as utilizer) unecessary since being that they exist they don't need to be utilized, they function naturally on their own.
      Why must they be eternal, in nature? And again Jim, if God is the creator of said laws they depend on Him not the other way around.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        ANYTHING to eliminate the need for God.
        ANYTHING to support the necessity of your belief.

Comment

Except Jim you are the one borrowing the classic attributes of our God to make the case for your Cosmos - not the other way around.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

You're so cute when you have nothing better to do than copycat.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
              Why must they be eternal, in nature? And again Jim, if God is the creator of said laws they depend on Him not the other way around.
              Well, did god think the laws up? In order to think them up, create them, they would have to work, and if they work then they existed as laws before he thought them up. That means that in either sense, whether in the mind of god or not, the laws themselves are eternal which basically renders god unecessary.

Comment

Well, did god think the laws up? In order to think them up, create them, they would have to work, and if they work then they existed as laws before he thought them up. That means that in either sense, whether in the mind of god or not, the laws themselves are eternal which basically renders god unecessary.
                OR..... God is omnipotent and not limited by anything outside His own power! He's certainly smarter than the average internet poster!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Except Jim you are the one borrowing the classic attributes of our God to make the case for your Cosmos - not the other way around.
                  No seer, that space-time, i.e. universes begin, is a matter of science.

Comment

No seer, that space-time, i.e. universes begin, is a matter of science.
                    No Jim, you said your 'cosmos' that produced this universe was outside of time space, eternal, and would be supremely powerful (creating multiple universes). All classic attributes of the Christian God...

Comment

No Jim, you said your 'cosmos' that produced this universe was outside of time space, eternal, and would be supremely powerful (creating multiple universes). All classic attributes of the Christian God...
                      Yes, that's right space-times, i.e. space and time begin to exist like our particular universe began to exist, but they don't , in my opinion, come from nothing as is your belief, they are a product of the infinite and eternal quantum vacuum of non zero energy and natural law. That has nothing to do with a god that simply says "let it be."

Comment

God created the universe Jim. He made all of the wee little quantum thingamabobs, the various forces and how the particles interact, and everything. Thus as he made everything, and how they work, the physical laws that describe how they work came into being. The laws are not things in of themselves, they just describe how the universe works. Which God created. Without the universe there are no physical laws.

Comment

Yes, that's right space-times, i.e. space and time begin to exist like our particular universe began to exist, but they don't , in my opinion, come from nothing as is your belief, they are a product of the infinite and eternal quantum vacuum of non zero energy and natural law. That has nothing to do with a god that simply says "let it be."
                          You believe it all just magically happened, right? Out of nothing? From no space, no time, no matter, no energy, nothing suddenly became everything for no reason?

And you mock us for believing in God?

Comment

Where does this eternal quantum vacuum exist if not in space, where is this magical place? Quantum vacuums in our world exist IN space? How do they exist with no space?

Comment

Then Shuny, if God directs the evolutionary process then it could not have happened on its own. Nature with out that Divine direction could not have done it. You agree?
                              You are contrasting Theism from Philosophical Materialism. Beyond this you have not stated anything meaningful.
                              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                You are contrasting Theism from Philosophical Materialism. Beyond this you have not stated anything meaningful.
                                Why won't you answer? Nature with out Divine direction could not have done it - correct?

Comment