Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

US considering charging Assange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US considering charging Assange

Sources: US prepares charges to seek arrest of WikiLeaks' Julian Assange

Washington (CNN)US authorities have prepared charges to seek the arrest of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, US officials familiar with the matter tell CNN.
    The Justice Department investigation of Assange and WikiLeaks dates to at least 2010, when the site first gained wide attention for posting thousands of files stolen by the former US Army intelligence analyst now known as Chelsea Manning.
    Prosecutors have struggled with whether the First Amendment precluded the prosecution of Assange, but now believe they have found a way to move forward.
    During President Barack Obama's administration, Attorney General Eric Holder and officials at the Justice Department determined it would be difficult to bring charges against Assange because WikiLeaks wasn't alone in publishing documents stolen by Manning. Several newspapers, including The New York Times, did as well. The investigation continued, but any possible charges were put on hold, according to US officials involved in the process then.

Going after Assange
    The US view of WikiLeaks and Assange began to change after investigators found what they believe was proof that WikiLeaks played an active role in helping Edward Snowden, a former NSA analyst, disclose a massive cache of classified documents.

Last week in a speech at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, CIA Director Mike Pompeo went further than any US government official in describing a role by WikiLeaks that went beyond First Amendment activity.
    He said WikiLeaks "directed Chelsea Manning to intercept specific secret information, and it overwhelmingly focuses on the United States."
    "It's time to call out WikiLeaks for what it really is: A non-state hostile intelligence service often abetted by state actors like Russia," Pompeo said.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/20/politi...ges/index.html

Normally I would ignore the anonymous sources story, but they do mention a direct quote by Mike Pompeo that seems to confirm it.

Comment

Since Assange is an Australian citizen currently residing in an Ecuadorean embassy in the UK, and AFAIK none of the activities referred to occurred while Assange was in the US, under what jurisdiction are they going to bring charges?
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
        Since Assange is an Australian citizen currently residing in an Ecuadorean embassy in the UK, and AFAIK none of the activities referred to occurred while Assange was in the US, under what jurisdiction are they going to bring charges?
        Got me. Espionage? If he directed Snowden to get specific secrets, then that makes him a spy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Got me. Espionage? If he directed Snowden to get specific secrets, then that makes him a spy.
          That seems highly unlikely, and even if true I can't see how Assange could possibly be charged by a US court since he's not from the US and wasn't in the US at the time.

Are the US authorities also planning to arrest Igor Korobov for being director of the GRU?
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Does it really matter? If they ever manage to get their hands on him and bring him to the US, he's pretty much screwed.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              That seems highly unlikely, and even if true I can't see how Assange could possibly be charged by a US court since he's not from the US and wasn't in the US at the time.

Are the US authorities also planning to arrest Igor Korobov for being director of the GRU?
              I would think they would have to have Equator hand him over. How they would do that I have no idea. Or I guess they could send in a raid like they did for Osama Bin Laden. storm the embassy and take him prisoner. They did it in Panama.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I would think they would have to have Equator hand him over. How they would do that I have no idea. Or I guess they could send in a raid like they did for Osama Bin Laden. storm the embassy and take him prisoner. They did it in Panama.
                Call in Cinnamon and Barney...

Comment

As well Assange should be charged.
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                    As well Assange should be charged.
                    This is probably something both sides can agree on. Both sides have used wikileaks in the past, and both have been hurt by it too. From a strictly national standpoint, I think he and wikileaks are very dangerous to national security. Sure, nobody wants to be lied to by their government and we get a perverse pleasure in seeing the mighty get knocked down a peg or two, but some of that information is classified for a reason and should remain that way.

Comment

The government's time might be better spent figuring out how to increase security and prevent the leaks instead of taking out their frustration on Assange.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        The government's time might be better spent figuring out how to increase security and prevent the leaks instead of taking out their frustration on Assange.
                        The sky is falling, pigs are flying and hell has frozen over. I agree with MM.

I agree that when governments are up to no good they need to be exposed, and I think it's a civic duty to do so. I also think that such info needs to be handled carefully so that ideally no one is put in danger.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                          The sky is falling, pigs are flying and hell has frozen over. I agree with MM.
                          So this is how you respond to being right for a change? Interesting.

Comment