Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The strange greatness of Donald Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    Let's have a little root for Justin.
    In the Aussie sense?

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      In the Aussie sense?

I'll just assume he was referring to mallee roots.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Why would impeachment prevent Trump from running again?
        Speaking of impeachment, over on CNN, on his Cuomo Prime Time two days ago, host Chris Cuomo appeared to suggest that Democrats need to impeach Trump in order to gain evidence in support of impeaching Trump. He said that impeachment

"could be the best way to get you the information you deserve so that you can decide if there were an actual abuse of power here by the President."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Speaking of impeachment, over on CNN, on his Cuomo Prime Time two days ago, host Chris Cuomo appeared to suggest that Democrats need to impeach Trump in order to gain evidence in support of impeaching Trump. He said that impeachment

"could be the best way to get you the information you deserve so that you can decide if there were an actual abuse of power here by the President."

rogue32.6b wants to note that would be the ultimate fishing expedition whereas rogue42 made a joke about having to impeach him in order to find out why he's being impeached (a parody of Pelosi's "we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it" wrt Obamacare) but was laughing at his own joke so it is hard to quote him exactly.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The reason that may be a valid strategy is Trump's continued refusal to follow the law over methods of obtaining infornation that apparently have no enforcement capability. The thing which has simply floored me in this whole thing is how little power congress actually appears to have to enforce its subpoenas. People right and left just refusing to cooperate with no consequences. Presumably impeachment procedings carry with them enforcability.

Jim
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-23-2019, 06:08 AM.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

But then you have Democrats insisting that the Mueller report presents an open-and-shut case for impeachment, so what is there left for them to investigate?
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                The reason that may be a valid strategy is Trump's continued refusal to follow the law over methods of obtaining infornation that apparently have no enforcement capability. The thing which has simply floored me in this whole thing is how little power congress actually appears to have to enforce its subpoenas. People right and left just refusing to cooperate with no consequences. Presumably impeachment procedings carry with them enforcability.

Jim
                [*Snort*]

Those investigations have all the earmarks of being nothing more than fishing expeditions themself done solely in hopes of turning up something ... anything.

Comment

Jim
                  The idea is that they work with the Department of Justice to enforce the law. That's why special counsel investigations are required by law to present a letter of principle conclusions to Congress who can then ask the attorney general to take other appropriate steps in securing or releasing evidence. Only the DoJ has already told them that no crimes were committed. So, yes, in this instance Congress has no teeth. When the lead prosecutor himself says that he can not conclude that the President committed any crimes then it's time to wrap it up as far as impeachment is concerned.

Comment

Jim
                    That's what the courts are for, Jim. We'll see how that works out, and if it doesn't, then we are in a Constitutional crises. So far the courts are working, and much to the chagrin of the Trumpster's here, Trump is losing in his bid to obstruct in every case.

Comment

more " You have to pass the bill to find out what is in it?"

Comment

[*Snort*]

Those investigations have all the earmarks of being nothing more than fishing expeditions themself done solely in hopes of turning up something ... anything.
                        Do you really think they will actually find nothing if they are allowed to look where Trump is so vigorously trying to keep them from looking?

Jim
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-23-2019, 02:23 PM.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Please place your tears in Jim's coffee mug...

560.jpg
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Do you really think they will actually find nothing if they are allowed to look wgere Trump is so vigorously trying to keep them from looking?

Jim
                            I think that they could find something at the very least shady or just extremely embarrassing if they were allowed to look at anybody like that. That's the purpose of a fishing expedition. Fortunately that isn't how our country works. Or isn't supposed to.

Comment

Do you really think they will actually find nothing if they are allowed to look wgere Trump is so vigorously trying to keep them from looking?

Jim
                              Find something criminal? Probably not. Find something personally or politically embarrassing? Perhaps, but is that sufficient justification for Congress to arbitrarily delve into someone's personal business?

Comment

I think that they could find something at the very least shady or just extremely embarrassing if they were allowed to look at anybody like that. That's the purpose of a fishing expedition. Fortunately that isn't how our country works. Or isn't supposed to.
                                Couldn't that excuse have been used by Nixon as regards the subpoena for the tapes? Do you really think Trump has done nothing suspicious enough to invoke the responsibility of congress to ensure he is not abusing his power? Congress has the responsibility to remove a sitting president engaging in illegal activities. Are they supposed to only act on that if they have proof of illegal activity first? If so, doesn't that mean that you are saying the congress should look the other way as regards suspicious activity until forced not to?

Jim

Comment