Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Washington Redskins May Finally Change Their Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What confuses me here is that the Navajo nation is officially promoting the name "Code Talkers". How is that okay, but "Chiefs" is not?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      You eat an elephant one bite at a time.
      I was being facetious.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• These from my son:

French vanilla, English toffee, Irish cream, German chocolate cake.

And:

Spanish flu. Swine flu/Mexican flue (the former offensive to Israel, the latter to Mexico), Marburg virus, Sika virus, Fujian flu, Ebola. We already changed the Wuhan flue to corona-covid.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Pontiac is a defunct brand as of 2010.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            These from my son:

And:

Spanish flu. Swine flu/Mexican flue (the former offensive to Israel, the latter to Mexico), Marburg virus, Sika virus, Fujian flu, Ebola. We already changed the Wuhan flue to corona-covid.
            I actually never knew it as anything other than Corona or COVID-19 in European news. It's actually only on this forum that I see people obstinately calling it "Wuhan virus" or "Chicom China virus". Then again I've been staying offline from social media.

I share your concerns mossrose, even if we're on different sides in this. There are so many names that are baked into so many institutions. Each one has their own story, and I doubt any of them can be treated the same. My big issue isn't whether I believe we should change them. It's that these name issues are rather small in the end. They're a symptom of deeper problems. To fix these names is ultimately a symbolic gesture. In Denmark we call it 'symbol politics'. It's not something that actually changes anything, but makes a gesture. And ultimately I don't think that's enough.

So, case by case, depending on history and so forth, I support names being updated to create a better friendlier world. However I don't think any of that solves the real issues that creates something like that in the beginning.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              These from my son:

And:

Will I have to give up my Big Chief Yellow Tablet?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                Pontiac is a defunct brand as of 2010.
                They are replacing that racist name with others. Tuareg and Cherokee and Qashqai.

Comment

• Apparently, going into an Irish bar and ordering an Irish Car Bomb is a good way to start a fight.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Afraid so. It will get tossed out along with the Ticonderoga pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      Apparently, going into an Irish bar and ordering an Irish Car Bomb is a good way to start a fight.

I sure hope this isn't personal experience!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

They'll have to change the name of Big Chief Mountain in southern Alberta.

I think I will change my av in honour of the mountain for a while. Spent many, many days under it's shadow while visiting Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park. Who knows when it will be renamed to Big Sissy or some such.

Comment

I sure hope this isn't personal experience!
                          I learned about these from my roommate in college (who ended up getting kicked out of the dorms for hosting too many parties).

Comment

• Chinaman's Hat in Hawaii.

Every Chinatown, everywhere. Little Italy, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                              I actually never knew it as anything other than Corona or COVID-19 in European news. It's actually only on this forum that I see people obstinately calling it "Wuhan virus" or "Chicom China virus".
                              That's "Chicom coronavirus."

It is in part a reaction of the MSM, which regularly called it the Wuhan coronavirus, Chinese coronavirus, and the like right up to the very instant that Trump did and then magically the same folks who had been using those same terms puffed out their chests and self-righteously started squeaking and screeching about racism and xenophobia HERE is a video of members of the MSM using those terms dozens of times right up until Trump did as well. I should also note that a LexisNexis search revealed that Asian news services were also calling it the Wuhan virus.

As for European news...

And that's just a few I pulled up that used "Wuhan virus" or "Wuhan coronavirus" in their titles. Many more contained those terms in the body of the story.

I didn't even look to see how many called "Chinese virus" or "Chinese coronavirus"
                              Last edited by rogue06; 07-15-2020, 04:51 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                That's "Chicom coronavirus."

It is in part a reaction of the MSM, which regularly called it the Wuhan coronavirus, Chinese coronavirus, and the like right up to the very instant that Trump did and then magically the same folks who had been using those same terms puffed out their chests and self-righteously started squeaking and screeching about racism and xenophobia HERE is a video of members of the MSM using those terms dozens of times right up until Trump did as well. I should also note that a LexisNexis search revealed that Asian news services were also calling it the Wuhan virus.

As for European news...

And that's just a few I pulled up that used "Wuhan virus" or "Wuhan coronavirus" in their titles. Many more contained those terms in the body of the story.

I didn't even look to see how many called "Chinese virus" or "Chinese coronavirus"
                                Interesting, I never saw it much in my own search. Danish news have at least been constantly calling it Corona virus. Or maybe I'm just biased because I prefer that name.

Comment