Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hypothetical. All guns dissapear. What happens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical. All guns dissapear. What happens?

If all guns dissapeared right now what would happen? Or more accurately what would possibly happen?.

If you asked me it would be short lived.
    sigpic

Depends on what you mean "all guns disappeared. If guns ceased to exist that is one thing, if they were just ALL removed that is something else.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      Depends on what you mean "all guns disappeared. If guns ceased to exist that is one thing, if they were just ALL removed that is something else.
      Let us go with both.
      sigpic

Comment

Some people get filthy rich manufacturing and / or importing guns.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I see a lot of 3d printing.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
            If all guns dissapeared right now what would happen? Or more accurately what would possibly happen?.

We would have to check whether the resident pirate now had a surplus of guns.

Comment

If all guns ceased to exist (along with the technology to make new ones) then gun violence would immediately end. Every fort/base on the planet would have to be rebuilt (since if guns go, so do cannon and mortar - a gun is nothing but a tiny cannon). Militaries would have a heck of a time retooling - and chain mail would make a comeback.

'Impulse' killings would be greatly reduced. Murder conviction rates would dramatically rise and the immediate murder rate would drop (killers have to retool, too). Killing and injuring in self defense would rise dramatically (because archery ain't that easy, bows aren't concealable and knives mean you get way too close to be immune from attack).

Gun enthusiasts would cry - a lot.

The world would not suddenly become perfect because people won't.

AntiGC's will be mad at those who supported GC and start building crossbows to 'show them' by becoming the very monsters they said they weren't. ProGC's will feel better about sending their kids to school - until some idiot takes a trebuchet to a playground because he doesn't like the new building blocking his view.

Life will go on. Humans will always find something to fuss over.

As an argument, this exercise is really stupid - antiGC's will assume, falsely, that 'no guns' should equal 'no violence' and complain that since violence will still occur, ending guns wasn't a good thing. ProGC's will complain, probably correctly, that you're characterizing their positions falsely. Accomplishment nil.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                AntiGC's will be mad at those who supported GC and start building crossbows to 'show them' by becoming the very monsters they said they weren't.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

If all guns dissapeared right now what would happen?
                  Physically superior ubermensch like me would be able to utterly dominate all you pencil necked geeks.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    If all guns ceased to exist (along with the technology to make new ones) then gun violence would immediately end. Every fort/base on the planet would have to be rebuilt (since if guns go, so do cannon and mortar - a gun is nothing but a tiny cannon). Militaries would have a heck of a time retooling - and chain mail would make a comeback.

'Impulse' killings would be greatly reduced. Murder conviction rates would dramatically rise and the immediate murder rate would drop (killers have to retool, too). Killing and injuring in self defense would rise dramatically (because archery ain't that easy, bows aren't concealable and knives mean you get way too close to be immune from attack).

Gun enthusiasts would cry - a lot.

The world would not suddenly become perfect because people won't.

AntiGC's will be mad at those who supported GC and start building crossbows to 'show them' by becoming the very monsters they said they weren't. ProGC's will feel better about sending their kids to school - until some idiot takes a trebuchet to a playground because he doesn't like the new building blocking his view.

Life will go on. Humans will always find something to fuss over.

As an argument, this exercise is really stupid - antiGC's will assume, falsely, that 'no guns' should equal 'no violence' and complain that since violence will still occur, ending guns wasn't a good thing. ProGC's will complain, probably correctly, that you're characterizing their positions falsely. Accomplishment nil.
                    I seriously doubt that many gun owners would go around as thugs. If anything i think those who support just causes and self defense wpuld opppse those very people.
                    sigpic

Comment

Social darwinism is much like Kronos a cruel master. It eats its subjects.
                      sigpic

Comment

People would live happily ever after, eating bacon and singing songs of joy. Murder would be a thing of the past, as would anger and hate and prejudice. Death would be destroyed.

Oh wait, that means Jesus came back. That is the only way that guns will be destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          People would live happily ever after, eating bacon and singing songs of joy.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Isaiah 2:4 New International Version (NIV)

4 He will judge between the nations
                            and will settle disputes for many peoples.
                            They will beat their swords into plowshares
                            and their spears into pruning hooks.
                            Nation will not take up sword against nation,
                            nor will they train for war anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I was just thinking that if all the guns were removed we would all fall back into the hippie movement.

Then I saw your post of the coca-cola commercial.

Comment