Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Roman Church response to the atrocious scandals; "The Devil made me do it!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Thanks. The headline used by "Friendly Atheist" (not Patheos, which is in no way responsible for users' content) isn't bad for a headline. You're not helping shunya by pointing out that he can't even keep his sources straight, adding to his unforced errors.
    "Friendly Atheist" is under the banner of Patheos, to which I subscribe. This is how I recognised the headline. I don't believe shunya, whom I respect, would be deliberately misleading.

I'm shocked, shocked, that you would think so.
    Sorry for the "shock".

Given that an atheist is not going to believe in spirits...evil or otherwise...the most reasonable position, and the one adopted by law, is to provide professional counseling for those experiencing difficulty with their sexual orientation. So-called reparative therapy or unwanted exorcisms can be harmful to the victims of it and is grounded in the false notion that homosexuality is unnatural and bad.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      "Friendly Atheist" is under the banner of Patheos, to which I subscribe. This is how I recognised the headline. I don't believe shunya, whom I respect, would be deliberately misleading.
      He cites the Catholic League article in full, but changed its headline by accident? Its very hard to describe that as an accident. And its something he tend to do habitually.

Now stop white knighting him.

Comment

An 'unforced error' is not well-characterised as 'deliberately misleading'.
        Sorry for the "shock".

Given that an atheist is not going to believe in spirits...evil or otherwise...the most reasonable position, and the one adopted by law, is to provide professional counseling for those experiencing difficulty with their sexual orientation. So-called reparative therapy or unwanted exorcisms can be harmful to the victims of it and is grounded in the false notion that homosexuality is unnatural and bad.
        I'm... rather well aware of an atheist's position on such things, Tassman. There was no need whatsoever for you to explain that to me, or attempt to insert your favourite anti-Christian bashing into a thread devoted to something else entirely.

Are you congenitably unable to allow someone else to have the last word? Sheesh.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Are you congenitably unable to allow someone else to have the last word? Sheesh.
          This is about me, isn't it? It's on my list of New Year's Resolutions.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

An 'unforced error' is not well-characterised as 'deliberately misleading'.

I'm... rather well aware of an atheist's position on such things, Tassman. There was no need whatsoever for you to explain that to me, or attempt to insert your favourite anti-Christian bashing into a thread devoted to something else entirely.

That would be Carpedm.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              That would be Carpedm.
              While he does sometimes pull a Carpe, he at least tries.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

It is no more “anti-Christian bashing” than the destructive “bashing” of homosexuals by Christians with the accusation that they are sinners and possessed by evil spirits.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

It is no more “anti-Christian bashing” than the destructive “bashing” of homosexuals by Christians with the accusation that they are sinners and possessed by evil spirits.
                  I make no such claim, and I don't go on GLBT websites harassing and mocking gays -- and here you are on a Christian-run website for no other reason than to be an anti-Christian bigot and to spew your vitriol.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I make no such claim, and I don't go on GLBT websites harassing and mocking gays -- and here you are on a Christian-run website for no other reason than to be an anti-Christian bigot and to spew your vitriol.
                    And folks wonder what I mean by militant internet atheists.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

We're all sinners, Tassman, and nobody outside of perhaps a small minority of fundamentalists thinks homosexuals are possessed by evil spirits. Why do you keep on responding when all you're doing is digging the hole deeper? Use your noggin for more than a hat rack, eh?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        What's interesting is, for example, when I identify Tassy's Drama Queen conduct, he dutifully responds by providing excellent examples. He makes my work so incredibly easy.

Comment

What's interesting is, for example, when I identify Tassy's Drama Queen conduct, he dutifully responds by providing excellent examples. He makes my work so incredibly easy.
                          JimL obliges with that also.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            I think I present my views in a courteous way. Because you disagree with them does not make me a "militant internet atheist".

I said that Christians attack homosexuals by accusing them of being "sinners and possessed by evil spirits". I didn't say you were "harassing and mocking gays", they're your words not mine.
                            Last edited by Tassman; 11-29-2018, 01:02 AM.

Comment

I think I present my views in a courteous way. Because you disagree with them does not make me a "militant internet atheist".
                              You are considered a "militant internet atheist" because you repeat your views ad nauseam despite having been repeatedly corrected, not because we disagree with them.
                              I said that Christians attack homosexuals by accusing them of being "sinners and possessed by evil spirits".
                              Here's a great example. You completely ignored my push-back, simply reasserting your wrong ideas.

sigpic

Comment

I said that Christians attack homosexuals by accusing them of being "sinners and possessed by evil spirits".
                                You have been challenged on this steaming pile of horsie poo, yet you persist.... how bout backing up your claim that Christians accuse homosexuals of being possessed by evil spirits. And do NOT resort to the dishonesty of finding some right wing extremist nut job who made that claim, and painting all Christians with that same brush.

Comment