Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hurricane Florence is all Trump's Fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The irony, of course, is that Apple is the richest company in the world largely because they exploit cheap Chinese labor and charge obscene prices for their products.
    Do their opponents call them Crapple then?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      Do their opponents call them Crapple then?
      cRapple - Shunystyle.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        cRapple - Shunystyle.
        I actually considered using crApple instead when I wrote my post.

Comment

cRapple - sHunystyle.
          fify
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
            That looks and sounds pretty wicked! And what idiot left the flag up!
            Funny you should ask....

Resilient flag shredded by Florence off NC coast ‘represents who we are as America’

September 14, 2018 09:39 AM

Richard Neal, the owner of a bed-and-breakfast 32 miles off the coast of North Carolina in old Coast Guard tower, says he fielded several angry calls from veterans as Hurricane Florence approached.

That’s because his B&B at Frying Pan Tower is also the home of one of the many Explore.org live cams that have been documenting the storm as it rumbled toward the Carolina coast.

And also because, that live footage at times has shown the tower’s American flag, being shredded by the devastating rain and wind the storm is bringing with it.

“They told me, ‘this is disrespectful,’ and that I need to get out there and replace the flag right then,” Neal told McClatchy. “In the hurricane.”

Neal isn’t riding the storm out in the tower, as he has done in the past through Hurricanes Arthur, Matthew and Sandy. The software engineer from south Charlotte was able to remotely reposition the live cam, though, so the flag, in the process of getting ripped to smithereens, was no longer in the shot being viewed by what he said was “hundreds of thousands of people.”

But a funny thing happened when he repositioned it.

He started getting comments and questions by the dozen, wondering how the flag was doing.

“A group of kids watching took to calling the flag ‘Kevin,’” Neal told McClatchy. “They wanted to know how Kevin is doing, if Kevin is going to make it.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• And the youtube webcam, gave proof through the night, that the flag was still there...

It's slowly rotating 360 so you might have to wait for it to appear.

Comment

According to FEMA, it's not an issue.

FEMA says funding transferred to ICE for detention centers won't harm hurricane response

Washington (CNN)Officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency insisted Wednesday that the transfer of nearly $10 million of its budget to US Immigration and Customs Enforcement will not affect the agency's hurricane response and other disaster relief efforts.
                "We have plenty of resources, both monetary, staff and commodities, to respond to the storm," Jeff Byard, FEMA's associate administrator for the Office and Response and Recovery, told reporters during a morning briefing as Hurricane Florence barreled toward the Carolina coast. "We have plenty of resources to respond, plenty of resources to recover. That has not impacted our situation whatsoever."

Next? Perhaps learn how to spell Trump's name correctly?
                Yes, it is tRump.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  Yes, it is tRump.
                  Public schools in North Carolina must suck.

On a serious note --- are ya catching any of this hurricane, Frank?

Comment

• Originally posted by brain doesn't go past the firstfloor View Post
                    Is this passion for adversity and the meaning derived from it, not the heart and soul of Christianity?

https://iblp.org/questions/what-are-...ersity-my-life
                    No.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Public schools in North Carolina must suck.
                      Actually with the Conservatives in control of the legislature and keep down the funding we have problem in the public school systems especially in the poorer counties.

On a serious note --- are ya catching any of this hurricane, Frank?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am in Hillsborough, NC, and not much except a few areas lost power due to wind. No significant rain yet. Tonight we will get rain, but near as much as South of here. I bought a house on s hill top for good reason.
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        Actually with the Conservatives in control of the legislature and keep down the funding we have problem in the public school systems especially in the poorer counties.
                        Ya know, it's amazing, but there are a bunch of REALLY GOOD schools working on a very small budget without any problems. More money does not necessarily equal better education.

Yes, I am in Hillsborough, NC, and not much except a few areas lost power due to wind. No significant rain yet. Tonight we will get rain, but near as much as South of here. I bought a house on s hill top for good reason.
                        Stay safe and keep your powder dry!

Comment

Ya know, it's amazing, but there are a bunch of REALLY GOOD schools working on a very small budget without any problems. More money does not necessarily equal better education.
                          Exactly. The left wants to pretend that their willingness to shovel money at education willy-nilly without any thought of accountability as evidence of their support of kids and families while those mean ol' conservatives want everyone to just go away and die. But this seems more motivated by funneling money to teacher's unions who then contribute huge amounts back into Democrat coffers[1] than anything else. Am I being too cynical? Then explain if educating children was the goal why do liberals tend to fight tooth and nail against any ideas to improve education that doesn't include massive transfers of money such as charter schools and school choice[2]?

And if liberal policies are the best way to improve education then why are they in complete control of the worst school districts and systems in spite of massive outlays of money?

I cannot help thinking about how when, back in the mid-80s a federal judge ordered that billions of dollars be spent upgrading Kansas City's schools. The educrats were giddy with delight. They set about adding enormous gyms to the schools, built an Olympic swimming pool, TV studios, a planetarium, a zoo, and even a wildlife sanctuary. After burning through $2 Billion it was discovered that what they did not get was a single new textbook to replace the worn-out sadly out-dated ones they had. And IIRC not a single new teacher was hired although a lot more administrators were[3].

Results? The schools got worse. Markedly so. Something like five years later the Kansas City school district failed 11 performance standards and lost its academic accreditation for the first time in the district’s history.

The top five "states"[4] when it comes to total Elementary/Secondary Public School spending/student were from the top down New York, Alaska, Washington D.C., Connecticut and New Jersey but in 2017 they respectively placed 40th, 31st, 51st, 44th and 38th in SAT rankings. Yet the state with lowest total Elementary/Secondary Public School spending/student, Utah,which spent about a third or less for each student as those at the top was 10th in SAT scores. The one with the fifth lowest expenditure, Mississippi, ranked 9th.

Overall, the trend for SAT scores reveals that most of the high spending states are doing bad in that measure whereas most of the lower spending states have higher scores. So if throwing money at the problem is the solution then why did many of the states with the lowest per student expenditures do better than many of those with the highest per student expenditures?

This sorta blows a hole in the notion that spending more money means better results, doesn't it.

Interestingly, in 2000 the state with the highest average SAT score was North Dakota, which ranked 41st in per student spending but has since began spending a lot more moving up to 15th in that category and yet has also dropped to 6th for SAT scores.

Further (the last time I checked), Americans spend more on schooling than the vast majority of countries that outscore us on the international tests.

1. For instance, according to Open Secrets, the American Federation of Teachers donated $7,919,897 to politicians and political groups with $7,888,355 going to Democrats and liberals (99.9%) and $6500 to Republicans and conservatives

2. A perfect example of this is what happened at Mollie E. Ray Elementary in Orlando, Florida as the 2002-2003 school year began. The school had received an "F" rating for the past two years (1 of only 10 schools to "earn" such a distinction), as judged annually by the state of Florida so the victims of such failed schools are allowed to apply for vouchers to help them escape. So how did the school react? Vowing to fix the problem? To work on improving education?

Nah.

To start, students were met by teachers wearing T-shirts proclaiming "F = Fantastic." Getting an "F" grade was now considered a positive thing. The union educrats chose to brainwash young minds with Orwellian double-speak into thinking that flunking is actually a good thing. Then school officials attacked the scores of parents, who did choose to opt out, for "abandoning" their schools in a time of need. Excuse me. Apparently some parents had the temerity to want the best for their children rather than sacrifice them on the altar of public "edjumakatun" and were savaged for it. Still it would have been interesting come Report Card time when the little darlings still stuck in that unrepentantly failed school explained this "F = Fantastic" concept to their parents. Trouble is, too many might fallen for it.

3. When I started High School it was so overcrowded not only were there nearly a dozen trailers setting in the parking lot being used as classrooms but we had to go in shifts with juniors and seniors going in the morning and freshmen and sophomores in the afternoon. Yet we only had 4 principals. Now after expanding the building and several new schools being built, resulting in a smaller school population, there are somewhere between 10 and 15 principals.

4. this includes Washington D.C. which is not a state.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Exactly. The left wants to pretend that their willingness to shovel money at education willy-nilly without any thought of accountability as evidence of their support of kids and families while those mean ol' conservatives want everyone to just go away and die. But this seems more motivated by funneling money to teacher's unions who then contribute huge amounts back into Democrat coffers[1] than anything else. Am I being too cynical? Then explain if educating children was the goal why do liberals tend to fight tooth and nail against any ideas to improve education that doesn't include massive transfers of money such as charter schools and school choice[2]?

And if liberal policies are the best way to improve education then why are they in complete control of the worst school districts and systems in spite of massive outlays of money?

I cannot help thinking about how when, back in the mid-80s a federal judge ordered that billions of dollars be spent upgrading Kansas City's schools. The educrats were giddy with delight. They set about adding enormous gyms to the schools, built an Olympic swimming pool, TV studios, a planetarium, a zoo, and even a wildlife sanctuary. After burning through $2 Billion it was discovered that what they did not get was a single new textbook to replace the worn-out sadly out-dated ones they had. And IIRC not a single new teacher was hired although a lot more administrators were[3].

Results? The schools got worse. Markedly so. Something like five years later the Kansas City school district failed 11 performance standards and lost its academic accreditation for the first time in the district’s history.

The top five "states"[4] when it comes to total Elementary/Secondary Public School spending/student were from the top down New York, Alaska, Washington D.C., Connecticut and New Jersey but in 2017 they respectively placed 40th, 31st, 51st, 44th and 38th in SAT rankings. Yet the state with lowest total Elementary/Secondary Public School spending/student, Utah,which spent about a third or less for each student as those at the top was 10th in SAT scores. The one with the fifth lowest expenditure, Mississippi, ranked 9th.

Overall, the trend for SAT scores reveals that most of the high spending states are doing bad in that measure whereas most of the lower spending states have higher scores. So if throwing money at the problem is the solution then why did many of the states with the lowest per student expenditures do better than many of those with the highest per student expenditures?

This sorta blows a hole in the notion that spending more money means better results, doesn't it.

Interestingly, in 2000 the state with the highest average SAT score was North Dakota, which ranked 41st in per student spending but has since began spending a lot more moving up to 15th in that category and yet has also dropped to 6th for SAT scores.

Further (the last time I checked), Americans spend more on schooling than the vast majority of countries that outscore us on the international tests.

1. For instance, according to Open Secrets, the American Federation of Teachers donated $7,919,897 to politicians and political groups with $7,888,355 going to Democrats and liberals (99.9%) and $6500 to Republicans and conservatives

2. A perfect example of this is what happened at Mollie E. Ray Elementary in Orlando, Florida as the 2002-2003 school year began. The school had received an "F" rating for the past two years (1 of only 10 schools to "earn" such a distinction), as judged annually by the state of Florida so the victims of such failed schools are allowed to apply for vouchers to help them escape. So how did the school react? Vowing to fix the problem? To work on improving education?

Nah.

To start, students were met by teachers wearing T-shirts proclaiming "F = Fantastic." Getting an "F" grade was now considered a positive thing. The union educrats chose to brainwash young minds with Orwellian double-speak into thinking that flunking is actually a good thing. Then school officials attacked the scores of parents, who did choose to opt out, for "abandoning" their schools in a time of need. Excuse me. Apparently some parents had the temerity to want the best for their children rather than sacrifice them on the altar of public "edjumakatun" and were savaged for it. Still it would have been interesting come Report Card time when the little darlings still stuck in that unrepentantly failed school explained this "F = Fantastic" concept to their parents. Trouble is, too many might fallen for it.

3. When I started High School it was so overcrowded not only were there nearly a dozen trailers setting in the parking lot being used as classrooms but we had to go in shifts with juniors and seniors going in the morning and freshmen and sophomores in the afternoon. Yet we only had 4 principals. Now after expanding the building and several new schools being built, resulting in a smaller school population, there are somewhere between 10 and 15 principals.

4. this includes Washington D.C. which is not a state.
                            Yet, people who came through the North Carolina Public School system don't even know how to capitalize proper nouns!

Comment

Yet, people who came through the North Carolina Public School system don't even know how to capitalize proper nouns!
                              To be fair, shunya is not exactly a recent graduate.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                To be fair, shunya is not exactly a recent graduate.
                                That's even worse -- he was in school before the progressives took over?

Comment