Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Federal civil asset forfeiture - back in business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Because they don't have drugs with them. They are just running the money back to the drug cartel. They will have a car with lots of cash in it. And that's it. They sometimes will even hire college students or even advertise they need a car driven across country and will pay for someone to drive it for them and have the cash hidden in the car without the driver's knowledge.
    My son-in-law (city police) was assisting in a traffic stop by the Sheriff's Department, and there was a large amount of cash in the vehicle - no drugs, and the drug dog didn't "hit" on anything. The deputy announced he was seizing the vehicle, even though the occupant, an older African-American man, was trying to explain it's his MOTHER'S car, he had just put her in a nursing home, he had cashed out her savings to put into an account to pay her nursing home, and even though it sounds like he did some stupid things, it would be easy to prove or disprove his story. The deputy was being a real $#@!!^, and already called a tow truck to impound the vehicle, and told the driver he'd have to get a ride, "cause that ride belongs to me, now!" He seized the cash, and ignored my son-in-law's attempts at reasoning with him.

That's the kind of crap that ruins even the best intended laws. (or exposes their weaknesses)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      My son-in-law (city police) was assisting in a traffic stop by the Sheriff's Department, and there was a large amount of cash in the vehicle - no drugs, and the drug dog didn't "hit" on anything. The deputy announced he was seizing the vehicle, even though the occupant, an older African-American man, was trying to explain it's his MOTHER'S car, he had just put her in a nursing home, he had cashed out her savings to put into an account to pay her nursing home, and even though it sounds like he did some stupid things, it would be easy to prove or disprove his story. The deputy was being a real $#@!!^, and already called a tow truck to impound the vehicle, and told the driver he'd have to get a ride, "cause that ride belongs to me, now!" He seized the cash, and ignored my son-in-law's attempts at reasoning with him.

That's the kind of crap that ruins even the best intended laws. (or exposes their weaknesses)
      yep. And in Tennessee weren't there some cops who were using the law to line their pockets or something?
      (eta: http://www.offthegridnews.com/curren...from-citizens/)

I think they do need to modify the law to allow a certain time period where people can bring in proof of where the money came from. If people cash out a bank account or sell something for cash, they usually have receipts or statements that can show they are telling the truth.

Comment

cloudfare just ate my response again
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          cloudfare just ate my response again
          I just turned if off again.

Comment