Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Rogue One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    I just watched it. I was blown away. It came off a little slow and clumsy in the beginning, but it kept building momentum. 5/5, and that's the only movie I've given that rating this year.

Exactly the sort of movie they should have made after Episode 6.
    Gah, you're inflating my expectations!
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      Gah, you're inflating my expectations!
      Its a dark gritty tale for sure. And it doesn't fall into blindly copying the formula of earlier films. Its something old, something new, something borrowed, something Star Wars.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        I love going to a crowded theater for these types of films. Seeing the audience react to something on screen puts a smile on my face. It means that the film's creators connected with their audience somehow. I mean, sometimes that ticks me off, like in the case of Transformers 2 where the audience seemed to think that stupid film was the funniest thing they'd ever seen. I literally couldn't stand it anymore, and had to walk out, but most of the time I love it. When people jump at a good jump scare in a horror film, it makes me smile. Or when an audience is sobbing when ET finally goes home, it breaks my heart. I love seeing the power of film on an audience. It's a big reason I go to the theater.
        I'm very introverted. Crowds make me uncomfortable.
        Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

I just watched it. I was blown away. It came off a little slow and clumsy in the beginning, but it kept building momentum. 5/5, and that's the only movie I've given that rating this year.

Exactly the sort of movie they should have made after Episode 6.
          And now you've made me want to go see it ASAP instead of next week. Thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
            I'm very introverted. Crowds make me uncomfortable.
            I used to be that way to some extent, but then I started attending a mixed black and white church with lots of very extroverted type praise and worship, and the pastor was good at breaking people of their inhibitions. I also really love the history of film, and am in the process of completing the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, and the history of the cinema is obviously tied up into the history of film. Finally, I think Christ put in me a real heart for people. So put all three together, and...I don't know. I think the cinema can be a magical place. Especially in our culture here in the US where people seem so introverted anymore. Rarely do I see my neighbors, or kids playing outside like I did when I was young. People keep to themselves, and a lot of people don't know their neighbor. Don't engage with their community. The theater is one of those last few places where the community engages, and can share a laugh, or a scare, or a tear.

Anyhow, yeah, I guess I get it. I understand why people hate the theater. Loud kids. People hitting your seat. Teens texting. The 40 minute commercials before the film. The super expensive concessions and movie tickets. But I guess my point is is that there's still a lot of good about the experience as well, and it doesn't just come in the form of the latest IMAX screen sizes, and super-surround sound audio. I suppose it's just a matter of perspective.

Comment

Looks like another garbage movie from a garbage studio. I'll probably watch it after it's out on DVD but I'm not paying to see it.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                Looks like another garbage movie from a garbage studio. I'll probably watch it after it's out on DVD but I'm not paying to see it.
                Second biggest opening ever for the month of December. That's some popular "garbage" there.

Guess what the biggest opening ever for December was.

Comment

My best friend is like me - a Star Wars freak. He watched it and said it was almost as good as Empire, which is hands down the greatest movie ever made.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Dun... Dun... Dun... Dun-d'dun, Dun-d'dun.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      My best friend is like me - a Star Wars freak. He watched it and said it was almost as good as Empire, which is hands down the greatest movie ever made.
                      I thought it was awesome. My expectations were high, and IMO the movie delivered on every level.

Comment

I was really impressed. I really hadn't expected it to be *that* good.

Comment

I was really impressed. I really hadn't expected it to be *that* good.
                          I thought it would be good, but yeah. Same.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
                            Second biggest opening ever for the month of December. That's some popular "garbage" there.

Guess what the biggest opening ever for December was.
                            The previous Star Wars movie.
                            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              The previous Star Wars movie.
                              Yep. Star Wars: the Force Awakens, which is my favorite Star Wars movie, by the way. Quite a few people think it's garbage for some reason.

I watched Rogue One yesterday, and I thought it was great. Definitely something I'll buy when it comes out on video.

Comment

I don't think it's my favorite Star Wars film, but it was certainly better than the prequels, and i think it gives Force Awakens a run for it's money.

!!!!Spoilers!!!!

Things I loved about the movie was the settings, especially the scene with that insurgent-like Black Hawk Down looking attack on the Empire in the small village, and the WWII Pacific front looking battle at the end. Great ideas that heavily tied into the originals with the WWII theme. Great sense of realism. I also dug how close the film stuck to the 70s sci-fi look of the originals including the long hair combed to the side, sideburns and mustaches. Even the clothes had that simple 70s sci-fi look. And I was heavily impressed with the CGI Cushing and Fisher. I loved loved LOVED that they made Darth Vader an unstoppable threat again. He was scary in this film like I hadn't seen since I was a kid watching the originals.

Things I didn't like so much: I felt the movie slowed down a bit here and there, and was confusing to people not familiar with A New Hope. It was sort of predictable, and while I found the film to be absolutely beautiful, I never had that swell of emotion I got with the original trilogy. I never got attached to any of the characters either. I mean, Force Awakens had more compelling characters in my opinion. I loved that they brought back James Earl Jones, but he is very clearly a much older sounding James Earl Jones, and I don't know why they didn't autotune his voice to make it sound younger. Finally, I was upset that the music wasn't as powerful as the original trilogy. You get bits and pieces of it here and there, but at no point is the music as moving or memorable as the original trilogy, and this was a big complaint of mine with Force Awakens as well. We live in an age where music takes a backseat to mindless action (especially with comic book movies), and I find that a shame.

Overall, I thought it was a very enjoyable film. I'm not sure it was a necessary film, but yeah, it was enjoyable. I was even more surprised that my sister-in-law loved it, since she's not really a big Star Wars nut.

Comment