Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Video killed the Tardis star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I care because it's an iconic male character, and arbitrarily making him a woman is a reflection of our perverse culture.
    They've made it clear in the past that Time Lords can change sexes when they regenerate into a new incarnation

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
      adrift it was what they did back then with the low tech they had for film making that made the Doctor Who series so interesting to me and my siblings they did a lot with what they had to make it look high tech.
      It was the stories that sold me. They were so well written. I rarely could ever anticipate the twists and turns but when I would watch it again you could clearly see them laying the groundwork. Not so much with the more recent ones although they are still good.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
        adrift it was what they did back then with the low tech they had for film making that made the Doctor Who series so interesting to me and my siblings they did a lot with what they had to make it look high tech.
        are you nuts? It was cheesy and low budget even by the standards of the day. THAT is what I liked about it. It was like Lost in Space, it was so cheesy and tacky that it was good. There was NOTHING high tech about it. The stories were good though.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          They've made it clear in the past that Time Lords can change sexes when they regenerate into a new incarnation
          It's only been the last couple of seasons that this was hinted at. For the 50 previous years the program has existed, the Doctor had always been explicitly male. I would even argue that he is essentially male. And I'm almost certain the only reason they're doing this is to promote the idea of "gender fluidity" and that we're going to end up with a bisexual Doctor.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            are you nuts? It was cheesy and low budget even by the standards of the day. THAT is what I liked about it. It was like Lost in Space, it was so cheesy and tacky that it was good. There was NOTHING high tech about it. The stories were good though.
            You look at what the original STAR TREK was doing compared to DOCTOR WHO, and there's no contest in terms of production values, but DOCTOR WHO was the more creatively written show.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
              Robin Hood with three of his 'merry men' being lesbian ninja nuns who can outfight any of the men in the outlaw band: PC rubbish
              I would so pay to see that.

Comment

My review of the Doctor Who Christmas special that I posted on another site:
                OK, so I finally did watch the Christmas episode with some misgiving since I knew the gut-punch that was coming in the end.

For what is basically a series finale (any time the show runner changes hands, it's effectively a new series), it was a very small, simple, heartfelt story, and I loved it. I've always said we don't need an epic "The planet/galaxy/universe is in peril!" story every time the show comes to an end point, and Moffat finally proved it. There wasn't even a villain in the story, which is a fairly bold move for this sort of show, lampshaded by the Doctor saying, "It's not an evil plan! I really don't know what to do with that."

Capaldi turned in a fine performance as always and secured his spot as one of the best Doctors in the program's history. David Bradley was excellent as the First Doctor. He and Moffat kept the character very faithful to the William Hartnell original. No reinvention, no self-awareness, just a very understated and tender tip of the hat to the actor who started it all. It was daring to start with clips of Hartnell from "The Tenth Planet" before introducing Bradley as the First Doctor, but it worked a lot better than you would expect, and I loved seeing a recreation of the original TARDIS set. I thought Mark Gatiss did a very good job and created a wonderfully sympathetic soldier, but did he really have to be a Letheridge-Stewart? That was a bit unnecessary, I thought, although I loved his speech about the paradoxical relationship between hope and fear, that when one has no hope, they have no fear; it's only when there's hope that one begins to fear. Finally, the character of Bill, far from my favorite, and this episode didn't do anything to change my mind, but I like how Moffat brought her back without resetting her death or cheating.

And then the Doctor regenerates into a woman. Ugh... and the new Doctor's first line: "Oh, brilliant!" Come off it, it's not brilliant at all, it's politically correct pandering that I hope falls flat on its face, especially with the rumors I've read that this new "Doctor" will be a bisexual, which I suppose makes some sort of sense for a being that has lived over 2000-years as a man who now suddenly finds himself in a female body, but it's not something I want to see. So in my mind, the series ends with the 12th Doctor. There's really nothing that could entice me to watch the next series.

That last paragraph got someone's nose out of joint, and he retorted, "Lol, are you for real? It's 2018, not 1958!" to which I responded, "I'm not one to think that basic values and morality have an expiration date."

Comment

Maybe they should bet Bruce Jenner to play the next Doctor.
                  When I Survey....

Comment

Maybe the episodes where the master was a woman didn't go to air in Mountain Man's area?
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                      Maybe the episodes where the master was a woman didn't go to air in Mountain Man's area?
                      It helps if you read the thread from the beginning:

The Master/Missy thing was left ambiguous, so it didn't really bother [me] (I just assumed he transferred his consciousness to another body).
                      The Master inexplicably becoming a woman is at least consistent with the perverse nature of the character.
                      In fact, in Missy's debut, she even hints at the notion that her sudden gender swap wasn't entirely usual or natural with a line along the lines along of "Not everybody can afford the upgrade."

Comment

It seems watching the ratings crash throughout Jodi Whitaker's tenure as the show's star wasn't enough of a wake-up call that the audience really doesn't want woke nonsense in their Doctor Who, so the show creators are doubling down with the announcement that a trans actor will be featured prominently in the next iteration of the series.

British sci-fi series Doctor Who is going even farther down the woke path by adding a drag queen character in its upcoming full season following several seasons of the “first female Doctor.”

The series is now set to feature drag queen Jinkx Monsoon—whose real name is Jerick Roman Lamar Hoffer—alongside the show’s 15th Doctor, Ncuti Gatwa, in the latter’s first full season of the show coming in 2024, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...een-character/

I was tentatively looking forward to the upcoming series. Now, not at all.

Comment

It seems watching the ratings crash throughout Jodi Whitaker's tenure as the show's star wasn't enough of a wake-up call that the audience really doesn't want woke nonsense in their Doctor Who, so the show creators are doubling down with the announcement that a trans actor will be featured prominently in the next iteration of the series.

British sci-fi series Doctor Who is going even farther down the woke path by adding a drag queen character in its upcoming full season following several seasons of the “first female Doctor.”

The series is now set to feature drag queen Jinkx Monsoon—whose real name is Jerick Roman Lamar Hoffer—alongside the show’s 15th Doctor, Ncuti Gatwa, in the latter’s first full season of the show coming in 2024, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...een-character/

I was tentatively looking forward to the upcoming series. Now, not at all.
                          SIgh.

I liked the Captain Jack character on Torchwood until they made him gay and I stopped watching that show. I guess I will stop watching Doctor Who too. Sad. Unless maybe they make the drag queen the villain.

Comment

SIgh.

I liked the Captain Jack character on Torchwood until they made him gay and I stopped watching that show. I guess I will stop watching Doctor Who too. Sad. Unless maybe they make the drag queen the villain.
                            I seriously doubt that would be permitted.

Comment

I seriously doubt that would be permitted.
                              S/he could kidnap kids and read stories to them and make them into slaves!

Comment

S/he could kidnap kids and read stories to them and make them into slaves!
                                It places the dollar in the thong or it gets the hose again

Comment