Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Boy Scouts Pedophilia Scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy Scouts Pedophilia Scandal

Now, hundreds more men are claiming they were abused by men who do not appear in the published “Perversion Files.” “It’s the largest pedophile ring on earth,” Tim Kosnoff, one of the lawyers representing alleged victims, said during a press conference on Tuesday. “The numbers we’re talking about now dwarf what we’ve seen in the Catholic Church cases.”

“The recipe is there for an abuser to take advantage of boys alone out in the woods at night, at their homes, at their apartments,” added another of the lawyers, Stewart Eisenberg. “Many of the boys have reported drugs and alcohol being given to them when they were minors. This abuse is baked into the culture.”

https://time.com/5645097/boy-scouts-sex-abuse-lawsuit/
    Predators hunt prey. Protect, or predator wins.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Predators hunt prey. Protect, or predator wins.
    Sad, just sad. I was a Cub Scout and Boy Scout in the 50s and 60s - The Scouts have made a lot of bad decisions of late, I think this will finally sink them.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Sad, just sad. I was a Cub Scout and Boy Scout in the 50s and 60s - The Scouts have made a lot of bad decisions of late, I think this will finally sink them.
      There are several alternatives to the Scout program -- I pray that THEY are more vigilant about the problems associated with men and boys in such situations.

It's really sad, because there was a time when it really meant something to be an Eagle Scout.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"Let's allow homosexuals into the Boy Scouts," they said. "What's the worst that could happen?" they said.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

This doesn't surprise me at all. This isn't a recent thing either, I'm sure. I read an article years ago that pointed out that pedophilia in schools was far FAR higher than in the Catholic Church. And much of the same problem happened in schools as did the Church, they'd just move the offending teacher to a different district. It's just something that media doesn't report on for whatever reason, but it seems to be a huge issue in all sorts of places, and has been going on for forever. Speaking of RCC abuse of children, the other day I was watching a French film from 1972 called Le souffle au coeur (A Murmur of the Heart), and there's a scene where a priest makes an advance on a teenaged boy, and the film makes no real issue of it at all, as if to say "yeah, this happens all of the time, and everyone knows about it."

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            "Let's allow homosexuals into the Boy Scouts," they said. "What's the worst that could happen?" they said.

I believe all this stuff happened before then.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Most of those cases are very old.

Having been in Boy Scouts in multiple troops, I can only speak for what I saw, which was going far out of the way to avoid even any appearance of problems. BSA observes a strict rule where no boy can be alone with any adult leader (unless that leader is his father), and my troop also avoided situations where older Scouts were camping with younger Scouts.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                This doesn't surprise me at all. This isn't a recent thing either, I'm sure. I read an article years ago that pointed out that pedophilia in schools was far FAR higher than in the Catholic Church. And much of the same problem happened in schools as did the Church, they'd just move the offending teacher to a different district. It's just something that media doesn't report on for whatever reason, but it seems to be a huge issue in all sorts of places, and has been going on for forever.
                I think the reason is fairly simple. The Catholic Church is very large and its churches regarding as interconnected (i.e. being part of the same organization).

As for schools, we see a similar issue in terms of being distributed among different groups. Schools aren't ever thought of as the same organization--or perhaps it's more accurate to say that school boards are thought of as different organizations from each other (schools in the same district are more commonly thought of as being the same organization as each other, albeit perhaps not to the extent as Catholic churches are). So problems in one school district in this area don't get "added" with other school districts and are regarded as local affairs rather than national ones.

A school in Chicago isn't considered part of the same organization as a school in Boston. But a Catholic parish in Chicago is considered to be the same organization as one in Boston. Heck, the Catholic Church goes outright international, with one Catholic parish in the US being the same organization as one in Japan.

So when you have one big unified organization compared to a bunch of much smaller organizations, the former gets a whole lot more attention for something like abuse scandals even if its actual rates are actually lower.

It's probably why the Southern Baptist Convention seems to be the only US church other than the Catholic Church in the US that gets real attention paid to it for sexual abuse: It's big enough for the total number of abuses to rise high enough to actually attract attention.
                Last edited by Terraceth; 08-07-2019, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  This doesn't surprise me at all. This isn't a recent thing either, I'm sure. I read an article years ago that pointed out that pedophilia in schools was far FAR higher than in the Catholic Church. And much of the same problem happened in schools as did the Church, they'd just move the offending teacher to a different district. It's just something that media doesn't report on for whatever reason, but it seems to be a huge issue in all sorts of places, and has been going on for forever.
                  That's always stuck in my craw - that it's nearly impossible to fire a school teacher. Years ago, the Reader's Digest had a series on "Why Johnny Can't Read", (and, subsequently, "Why Johnny STILL can't read") and a large part of that, if I remember correctly, was it was nearly impossible to fire bad teachers.

Again, the National Education Agency doesn't educate anybody -- they are Jimmy Carter's gift to the Teachers' Unions.

Speaking of RCC abuse of children, the other day I was watching a French film from 1972 called Le souffle au coeur (A Murmur of the Heart), and there's a scene where a priest makes an advance on a teenaged boy, and the film makes no real issue of it at all, as if to say "yeah, this happens all of the time, and everyone knows about it."
                  Yeah, that's kinda sick.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    That's always stuck in my craw - that it's nearly impossible to fire a school teacher. Years ago, the Reader's Digest had a series on "Why Johnny Can't Read", (and, subsequently, "Why Johnny STILL can't read") and a large part of that, if I remember correctly, was it was nearly impossible to fire bad teachers.

Again, the National Education Agency doesn't educate anybody -- they are Jimmy Carter's gift to the Teachers' Unions.
                    That's not even a problem exclusive to 'Murica. Here in Canada, back when I was in school, there was a teacher in another High School that got busted sending inappropriate photos to a student and she was just transferred to another school.
                    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

I think part of the problem with the RCC is that on a high up level, they've sent hints that perhaps they just don't care that much. They blocked American bishops from taking action to address the crisis about a year ago, and Pope Francis directly accused a number of sexual abuse victims in Chile of "slander" before it was clear they were telling the truth. Also, the bishop where I lived until a couple months ago was actually criminally charged for covering up a pedophile priest... yet the Vatican allowed him to remain there for several years before Francis finally took him down.

What's going on? As a correspondent for the National Catholic Reporter said:

"No one [in the Vatican] thinks the sexual abuse of kids is unique to the States, but they do think that the reporting on it is uniquely American, fueled by anti-Catholicism and shyster lawyers hustling to tap the deep pockets of the church. And that thinking is tied to the larger perception about American culture, which is that there is a hysteria when it comes to anything sexual, and an incomprehension of the Catholic Church. What that means is that Vatican officials are slower to make the kinds of public statements that most American Catholics want, and when they do make them they are tentative and halfhearted. It's not that they don't feel bad for the victims, but they think the clamor for them to apologize is fed by other factors that they don't want to capitulate to." ( https://archive.today/20120722040754...backissue=open )

There are undoubtedly school districts that don't care either but due to the more local nature of school districts, there's no real comparison. The Department of Education isn't actively shuffling teachers around, though districts do it - they call it "passing the trash".
                      Last edited by KingsGambit; 08-09-2019, 07:32 PM.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        Most of those cases are very old.

Having been in Boy Scouts in multiple troops, I can only speak for what I saw, which was going far out of the way to avoid even any appearance of problems. BSA observes a strict rule where no boy can be alone with any adult leader (unless that leader is his father), and my troop also avoided situations where older Scouts were camping with younger Scouts.
                        Was your pack or den or whatever sponsored by a church?

Comment

Was your pack or den or whatever sponsored by a church?
                          Yes. My first troop was sponsored by a Nazarene church but I left because they started discriminating against me for being Baptist instead of Nazarene. My second one was sponsored by a Methodist church.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            Yes. My first troop was sponsored by a Nazarene church but I left because they started discriminating against me for being Baptist instead of Nazarene. My second one was sponsored by a Methodist church.
                            I wonder if that might have had something to do with the "no boy alone with a man not his father" thing.

Comment

I wonder if that might have had something to do with the "no boy alone with a man not his father" thing.
                              No, it was just a weird situation. They let the leader's son get away with bloody murder, but that adult leader just had it out for me. He once came up to me and accused me of talking to everybody about masturbation when I had done nothing even remotely of the sort. I found a much better situation elsewhere and my overall experience with Scouts ended up being positive in the end.

Comment