Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Frankly, my dear,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    I am similarly disturbed that Tassman would so openly support Confederate white supremacism.

Tassman, I was so sure you weren't a Nazi; I'm disappointed. I don't know what to believe anymore.
    Life is harsh and full of disappointments.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

It's paraphernalia.

Yes, I am a spelling Nazi!

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        Life is harsh and full of disappointments.
        woah. you admit it? But I thought you were an antifa commie?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          woah. you admit it? But I thought you were an antifa commie?
          So far the only noticeable difference is clothing, so I'd say it's pretty easy to get them confused when you can't see them in person.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I have never actually watched Gone With The Wind but as far as I know it is just a romance movie and does not contain any sort of racist or propaganda stuff in it.
            Actually, it is very friendly to the Southern cause.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              Where's the sarcasm in this post?
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

From my brother's Facebook page...

We need to ban these chain license plate frames.

0000000000000canadu.jpg

It is just glorifying slavery.

s-l300.jpg

I weep every time I see one.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  That's because the story is told from the point of view of Southerners.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    That's because the story is told from the point of view of Southerners.
                    Yes and all the slaves were happy, well treated and devoted to their masters. Don't get me wrong - I love the movie and I own it - not for those reasons though.

Comment

Yes and all the slaves were happy, well treated and devoted to their masters. Don't get me wrong - I love the movie and I own it - not for those reasons though.
                      But there were some who did treat their slaves well, and some slaves were happy, even choosing to stay with their masters after the Civil War. I suppose you could criticize the movie for not showing the other end of the spectrum, but that wasn't really the point of the story.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

What? but it was made by Hollywood liberals!!! Burn them!!!

Comment

It is indeed. Very friendly to the Confederate white Southern cause. In those days the blacks knew their place. <sarcasm>
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            It is indeed. Very friendly to the Confederate white Southern cause. In those days the blacks knew their place. <sarcasm>
                            Yes there was some Stepin Fetchit going on, but it was a great movie nevertheless.

Comment

If you're a film afficiando of any caliber, you must watch Triumph des Willens made by the artist Leni Riefenstal. The creation of that movie has a fascinating story and Riefenstal introduced a whole wing of new techniques in film making that were quite groundbreaking at the time; Movable cameras, teleobjectives used to created distorted perspectives, aerial recordings, and a new way of using music with the movie for dramatic effect. It laid groundwork that was and is used in documentaries, movies and commercials even today, it won great awards not only in Germany, but also France and the US.

And it was made as a propaganda movie by the Third Reich in 1934, documenting the Nürnberg Trials Rally (brain don't fail me like this). Utterly sympathetic to the Nazi Party.

And it also without a doubt a treasure of a movie.

Gone with the Wind, likewise, is also good. No one can question that this movie is one of the best pictures ever made. Like with Triumph des Willens, we cannot watch it and not feel at least a little bit of sting at seeing say Hitler celebrated, or seeing the naive depiction of black slavery among the Confederate. Yet I know of no Jewish organisation who wants to ban the movie everyone would imagine they'd take the greatest, and arguably most deserved, offense to. And I don't see why Gone With the Wind shouldn't be considered as anything other than a movie that was a product of its time. You could never, and should never make that movie today, nobody disagrees with this, but it stands on its own, a product of another era and in its own right a fascinating movie.

It would be sad to see it swept under the floor.

On the other hand no one is mandated to show these movies. In my opinion that remains a local decision by those who want to show those.
                              Last edited by Leonhard; 09-07-2017, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                                If you're a film afficiando of any caliber, you must watch Triumph des Willens made by the artist Leni Riefenstal. The creation of that movie has a fascinating story and Riefenstal introduced a whole wing of new techniques in film making that were quite groundbreaking at the time; Movable cameras, teleobjectives used to created distorted perspectives, aerial recordings, and a new way of using music with the movie for dramatic effect. It laid groundwork that was and is used in documentaries, movies and commercials even today, it won great awards not only in Germany, but also France and the US.

And it was made as a propaganda movie by the Third Reich in 1934, documenting the Nürnberg Trials Rally (brain don't fail me like this). Utterly sympathetic to the Nazi Party.

And it also without a doubt a treasure of a movie.

Gone with the Wind, likewise, is also good. No one can question that this movie is one of the best pictures ever made. Like with Triumph des Willens, we cannot watch it and not feel at least a little bit of sting at seeing say Hitler celebrated, or seeing the naive depiction of black slavery among the Confederate. Yet I know of no Jewish organisation who wants to ban the movie everyone would imagine they'd take the greatest, and arguably most deserved, offense to. And I don't see why Gone With the Wind shouldn't be considered as anything other than a movie that was a product of its time. You could never, and should never make that movie today, nobody disagrees with this, but it stands on its own, a product of another era and in its own right a fascinating movie.

It would be sad to see it swept under the floor.

On the other hand no one is mandated to show these movies. In my opinion that remains a local decision by those who want to show those.
                                And Leni Riefenstal was Jewish - correct?

Comment