Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting El Paso...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    No, this is just simple, objective fact. Trump IS using paranoia to motivate his base. He did it this weekend retweeting the Clinton Conspiracy nonsense in the Epstein suicide.
    That's been a running joke for years, Jim. The fact that you have a stick up your butt and can't see the (twisted) humor is your burden to bear.

He's done it in the past, including the conspiracy theory Obama was not actually a US citizen.
    Which has nothing to do with paranoia. It was a legitimate question until Obama provided the documentation showing he had been born in Hawaii.

It is one of Trump's defining characteristics. He uses fear and paranoia to motivate the people around him day in and day out.
    source.gif

And he uses it constantly at his rallies.
    Only in the leftist Trump-hating brain you seem to embrace...

From "Fake news"
    Oh, it's real.

https://www.mastersincommunications....out-fake-news/
    Just recently, The Washington Post ran a story referring to the Green Day song "American Idiot" claiming it was written about President George W. Bush; the song is really about the American people being duped by the media. The only problem is they were citing a website called clickhole.com, a satirical website. The story was fake, designed to go viral and increase revenue. The Post was forced to make an embarrassing retraction, and wipe the egg from its face. You see this done countless times in the days of President Trump. CNN has especially been hit hard by the term “fake news”.

to the "deep state"
    You're naďve to think there is no deep state.

https://books.google.com/books?id=zW...gbs_navlinks_s

to the "Invasion from the south",
    From 1929:
    http://www.unz.com/print/NorthAmericanRev-1929may-00615

From 2007:
    https://www.dmagazine.com/publicatio...ican-invasion/

From 2012:
    https://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/me.../23/id/436814/

It's been called an invasion for over a century, Jim.

it is all right there, fully documented, available to all to see.
    And twist to the leftist agenda. And you are onboard with your tray table down waiting for more of their pabulum to slurp up...
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      As I pointed out, the entire Avengers movie saga was built upon the main villain wanting to kill half of all life. What did the El Paso shooter say was among his motivations? Plenty of people have shown admiration for Thanos’ plan because crazy people will find all sorts of motivations to carry out their insane plans.
      This is ridiculous.

Back to real life and death at the hands od disturbed people egged on by ireesponsible leaders

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        This is ridiculous.

Back to real life and death at the hands od disturbed people egged on by ireesponsible leaders

Jim
        Of course it is because you refuse to see the flaw in your own logic. There’s plenty of people blaming violence in media for shootings, you just let your TDS blind you from reality, people pay far more attention to movies, TV, and games than to Trump tweets. I’m in the military with lots of Trump fans, beyond the news, do you know how many people talk about Trump tweets? Almost no one, do you know how many talk about the latest movie or game? The majority. People in the real world speak almost nothing about Trump tweets or spend time in 24 hour outrage mode. Most have more important things to care about.
        Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 08-12-2019, 10:17 AM.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          We're living that history right now, and for most of the first world, developed nations, things seem to be going along swimmingly. If the stuff actually hit the fan, there is no way a citizen militia would outgun the US military.
          Tell that to Afghanistan.

Comment

We're living that history right now, and for most of the first world, developed nations, things seem to be going along swimmingly. If the stuff actually hit the fan, there is no way a citizen militia would outgun the US military.
            Except for about every war the US has been in post WW2.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The second amendment wasn't written by the finger of God on Mount Sinai. It's a piece of paper that can and has been updated many times. Sometimes even repealing previous amendments. This sort of almost holy reverence for the Constitution is unhealthy.
              The problem is that the second amendment doesn't GIVE us the right to bear arms. It recognizes we already have it and that the government can't abridge it. If they were to repeal the 2nd amendment it doesn't take away our right to bear arms.

Comment

I think it's pretty well accepted that that's why we had so much difficulty in Vietnam -- we were still fighting a conventional war, like WWII, and our enemy was fighting a guerilla war.
                One of our biggest problems in Iraq (to this day) is the "urban warfare" aspect - along with the suicide vests, IEDs, enemy combatants that blend into the population....

Any kind of "war" in the US with the Military attempting to quell an insurrection of the people would be pure hell for the Military to fight. I can't even see that as a remote possibility.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Tell that to Afghanistan.
                  Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  If the US was fully committed to post-WWII conflicts like they were in the Civil War and WWII, no one would beat us. No one. We are the strongest military nation in the world. You honestly think Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq outgunned the US?

Comment

The problem is that the second amendment doesn't GIVE us the right to bear arms. It recognizes we already have it and that the government can't abridge it. If they were to repeal the 2nd amendment it doesn't take away our right to bear arms.
                    Assuming this is correct, the constitution was written by men. It can be changed, altered, whatever, to ignore or refute any assumed right given or recognized. It's not the Holy Bible.

Comment

If the US was fully committed to post-WWII conflicts like they were in the Civil War and WWII, no one would beat us. No one. We are the strongest military nation in the world. You honestly think Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq outgunned the US?
                      I realize you're not asking me, but I think "outgun" is not the issue --- in every conflict, there comes a point where one has to look at "acceptable losses". When Americans see a steady stream of flag-draped caskets coming home, the national mood turns.

So, yeah, "outgunned" wouldn't be the problem.

And, perhaps you were hinting that it's the political powers that control (hold back) the military from doing their job? If so, I agree whole-heartedly.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• If Trump's rhetoric is responsible for the El Paso Shooter's actions, then the Democrats are responsible for every attack on Trump supporters and Antifa's actions. Schumer, Pelosi, AOC, Watters, Warren, every single one of them.

Comment

Of course it is because you refuse to see the flaw in your own logic. There’s plenty of people blaming violence in media for shootings, you just let your TDS blind you from reality, people pay far more attention to movies, TV, and games than to Trump tweets. I’m in the military with lots of Trump fans, beyond the news, do you know how many people talk about Trump tweets? Almost no one, do you know how many talk about the latest movie or game? The majority. People in the real world speak almost nothing about Trump tweets or spend time in 24 hour outrage mode. Most have more important things to care about.
                          I am not saying that looking at media influence is ridiculous, it is real. I am saying dismissing Trump's actions and words when they are direct over an imagined and ridiculous association with 'The Avengers' is ridiculous.

Trump is using increasingly hostile rhetoric against immigrants. His policies are abusive and are being classified outside the US as human rights violations. And your dismissal of anyone having issues with Trump as TDS is also ridiculous - and foolish. We only are prevented from being controlled by our preferred version of 'group think' by taking the time to listen to those that disagree with our point of view.

Jim
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

If Trump's rhetoric is responsible for the El Paso Shooter's actions, then the Democrats are responsible for every attack on Trump supporters and Antifa's actions. Schumer, Pelosi, AOC, Watters, Warren, every single one of them.
                            Where there rhetoric can be tied to their specific ideals and actions, you would be correct. But it doesn't change the fact that Trump is responsible for heightened paranoia and fear as regards immigrants, and that use of paranoid and hostile rhetoric is what drew this shooter out. And it doesn't change the fact that the sort of rhetoric he is using can be tied historically to horrendous tragedy and human rights violations.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I realize you're not asking me, but I think "outgun" is not the issue --- in every conflict, there comes a point where one has to look at "acceptable losses". When Americans see a steady stream of flag-draped caskets coming home, the national mood turns.

So, yeah, "outgunned" wouldn't be the problem.

And, perhaps you were hinting that it's the political powers that control (hold back) the military from doing their job? If so, I agree whole-heartedly.
                              I think all of the insanely weird excuse making for why guns can't be gotten rid of is just absolutely, and comically ridiculous, especially when we've seen plenty of other first world nations doing so and doing so without much issue. As a realist, I know it will never happen, not because it's impossible to do so. Not because the Constitution can't be rewritten. Not because it will lead to some crazy hypothetical post-apocalyptic world where the US government will one day rise up and kill it's citizenry (but also the military will side with the citizenry making the point moot, but also even if the military didn't side with the citizenry, it's not powerful enough to outgun them), no, it's not because of any of those reasons. It's because American's are absolutely fanatical about their killing devices. They LOVE them. Some near worship them (I've literally seen what I can only describe as gun shrines). At best I can hope for tighter gun control laws, but I know my idea of an out and out gun ban is unrealistic. I'm just sick and tired of hearing of people dying, children dying, from what seems to me a completely preventable issue.

Comment

I think all of the insanely weird excuse making for why guns can't be gotten rid of is just absolutely, and comically ridiculous, especially when we've seen plenty of other first world nations doing so and doing so without much issue. As a realist, I know it will never happen, not because it's impossible to do so. Not because the Constitution can't be rewritten. Not because it will lead to some crazy hypothetical post-apocalyptic world where the US government will one day rise up and kill it's citizenry (but also the military will side with the citizenry making the point moot, but also even if the military didn't side with the citizenry, it's not powerful enough to outgun them), no, it's not because of any of those reasons. It's because American's are absolutely fanatical about their killing devices. They LOVE them. Some near worship them (I've literally seen what I can only describe as gun shrines). At best I can hope for tighter gun control laws, but I know my idea of an out and out gun ban is unrealistic. I'm just sick and tired of hearing of people dying, children dying, from what seems to me a completely preventable issue.
                                I'm not addressing AT ALL whether guns could or could not be "gotten rid of".... I was simply responding to the whole "outgunned" concept.

Comment