Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting El Paso...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Not very. My training wasn't that intensive (really, it wasn't), and was 20 years ago. I'm in my mid-40s, so I suppose I'm still relatively younger than some of you old coots, but I guess it's all relative. I try to get to the gym a few times a week, but I'm not in what I would consider decent shape, and have dealt with a number of health issues since my late 30s which prohibit how much I can do. I am rather tall, so I suppose that's on point, but I wouldn't say that any of the rest would necessarily give me little to fear from most threats that are not a gun. I don't waste my days worrying about existential threats, because I trust in my Lord.
    I think his point was that you're not a female, where "existential threats" are much more of a possibility to them than you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
      Coworkers would date? Sounds like a bad idea....
      My father once told me to never fish off the company pier. It took one or two experiences for me to grasp the wisdom of that advice.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        Not very. My training wasn't that intensive (really, it wasn't), and was 20 years ago. I'm in my mid-40s, so I suppose I'm still relatively younger than some of you old coots...
        GIT OFFA MY LAWN WHIPPERSNAPPER!
        smiley old.gif

And turn down that racket you youngsters call music

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
          I think his point was that you're not a female, where "existential threats" are much more of a possibility to them than you.
          Males can get mugged too.... And children of both genders can be victimized in horrific ways. 50% of men are weaker than the other 50% and there are some women who could beat up some men. But society does seem to make more women paranoid about becoming a victim! What's worse is the folk who claim there is nothing one can do to reduce the chance of becoming a victim. Have they never heard of being aware of your surroundings and knowing what is normal, abnormal, or dangerous?
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Situational awareness FTW! E/g/ If you notice some creep loitering in the parking lot, it would be best to go back in the store!
            Bingo - the nice security guard won't mind walking you to your car - it's probably more interesting than what he was doing!

Even if not, he won't mind!
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Bingo - the nice security guard won't mind walking you to your car - it's probably more interesting than what he was doing!

Even if not, he won't mind!
              He MIGHT even give you a ride, if you're nice!

paul-blart-mall-cop-ss2.jpg
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Males can get mugged too.... And children of both genders can be victimized in horrific ways. 50% of men are weaker than the other 50% and there are some women who could beat up some men. But society does seem to make more women paranoid about becoming a victim! What's worse is the folk who claim there is nothing one can do to reduce the chance of becoming a victim. Have they never heard of being aware of your surroundings and knowing what is normal, abnormal, or dangerous?
                Male or female, adult or child - KNOW WHERE YOU ARE. Pay attention to your surroundings and know what to look for as for warning signs. If something seems off - even if you don't know why - walk away. Come back with someone else - better to feel stupid than to get hurt.

Oh, and if you see a LOT of matchboxes and paint thinner cans, leave and call the cops. Okay, that one was more something I had to know as a DIS than you will need in a parking lot - but don't approach a home with a lot of weird trash.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Matches and paint thinner??? Arsonist? Or....

Comment

Matches and paint thinner??? Arsonist? Or....
                    Meth labs.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Meth labs.
                      Someone buying kitty litter by the gross is another indication.

Just sayin' smiley watching-you.gif

Comment

Meth labs.
                        Heard that stuff will contaminate everything in a house.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Someone buying kitty litter by the gross is another indication.

Just sayin' [ATTACH=CONFIG]39015[/ATTACH]

C'mere a minute...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Heard that stuff will contaminate everything in a house.
                            Depending on exactly what method they use, it will blow UP the house. Or it might gas everyone in it.

And the tweekers are likely to be full on nut cases.

Like I said - leave, call the cops.

One of our FBI trainers told a story about going to raid a trailer out by a marsh. Guy runs out the back and starts trying to swim for the opposite shore - minus the being able to swim part. The FBI agents just stood there as he hollered for help - they were kind enough to yell back for him to stand up. The water was only knee deep.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              Yes, I assumed that was the point he was making.

Comment

• So, besides situational awareness, any other tips too avoid being a damsel in distress? Ooh! If a bad guy tries to force you into a car, do everything in your power to not go in there. Things won't end well!

Comment