Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

PP's Margaret Sanger -- Let's Be Careful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PP's Margaret Sanger -- Let's Be Careful

Margaret Sanger (founder of Planned Parenthood) was.... well, it's complicated.

To begin with, I'll use quotes from NPR, so nobody can claim I'm only picking conservative sources - you can add your own cites and sources.

She was big on eugenics, that's a fact.

Eugenics was a discipline, championed by prominent scientists but now widely debunked, that promoted "good" breeding and aimed to prevent "poor" breeding. The idea was that the human race could be bettered through encouraging people with traits like intelligence, hard work, cleanliness (thought to be genetic) to reproduce. Eugenics was taken to its horrifying extreme during the Holocaust, through forced sterilizations and breeding experiments.

In the United States, eugenics intersected with the birth control movement in the 1920s, and Sanger reportedly spoke at eugenics conferences. She also talked about birth control being used to facilitate "the process of weeding out the unfit [and] of preventing the birth of defectives."

Historians seem to disagree on just how involved in the eugenics movement she was. Some contend her involvement was for political reasons — to win support for birth control.

She was most definitely pro-abortion.

Was she racist?

In 1946, Sanger wrote about the importance of giving "Negro" parents a choice in how many children they would have.

"The Negro race has reached a place in its history when every possible effort should be made to have every Negro child count as a valuable contribution to the future of America," she wrote. "Negro parents, like all parents, must create the next generation from strength, not from weakness; from health, not from despair."

Her attitude toward African-Americans can certainly be viewed as paternalistic, but there is no evidence she subscribed to the more racist ideas of the time or that she coerced black women into using birth control. In fact, for her time, as the Washington Post noted, "she would likely be considered to have advanced views on race relations."

Personally, I think NPR is being extraordinarily 'charitable' in describing her as "paternalistic", and playing down the racism.

But some of her statements oft quoted by anti-abortion people are out of context.

There's enough that she did for which she should be blamed without quoting her out of context, so I thought I'd start with what I think is the most abused misquote (or partial quote).

A quote I see often attributed to her is...

“We do not want word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members,”

But note the comma, often left out.

From Time:

Historians and scholars who’ve examined Sanger’s correspondence, as Salon reported in 2011, challenge those who call the activist racist.

Much of the controversy stems from a 1939 letter in which Sanger outlined her plan to reach out to black leaders — specifically ministers — to help dispel community suspicions about the family planning clinics she was opening in the South.

“We do not want word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members,” she wrote. It was, as the Washington Post called it, an “inartfully written” sentence, but one that, in context, describes the sort of preposterous allegations she feared — not her actual mission. The irony is that it has been used to propagate those very allegations. Cruz’s letter to the director of the National Portrait Gallery, for example, quotes only the first half of the sentence.

If you can't discuss this in a civil manner, I'll simply ask you to leave the thread. By posting in this thread, you agree to that condition, and your consent is thereby implied.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I'm certainly no fan of Sanger primarily because of her advocacy for eugenics but she did not favor abortion, in fact her big cause was making birth control available largely so people wouldn't go out and have abortions.

“To each group we explained what contraception was like; that abortion was the wrong way — no matter how early it was performed it was taking life; that contraception was the better way, the safer way — it took a little time, a little trouble, but was well worth while in the long run, because life had not yet begun.” Sanger, Margaret (1938). Margaret Sanger, An Autobiography. New York: W. W. Norton. p. 217.

That she campaigned for birth-control as a way to prevent abortion is evidenced by the following handbill for her first clinic in English, Yiddish and Italian:

For years Planned Parenthood was staunchly anti-abortion following in Sanger's footsteps but they did an outface in (IIRC) the 60s.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I'm certainly no fan of Sanger primarily because of her advocacy for eugenics but she did not favor abortion, in fact her big cause was making birth control available largely so people wouldn't go out and have abortions.

“To each group we explained what contraception was like; that abortion was the wrong way — no matter how early it was performed it was taking life; that contraception was the better way, the safer way — it took a little time, a little trouble, but was well worth while in the long run, because life had not yet begun.” Sanger, Margaret (1938). Margaret Sanger, An Autobiography. New York: W. W. Norton. p. 217.

That she campaigned for birth-control as a way to prevent abortion is evidenced by the following handbill for her first clinic in English, Yiddish and Italian:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35046[/ATTACH]

For years Planned Parenthood was staunchly anti-abortion following in Sanger's footsteps but they did an outface in (IIRC) the 60s.
      Interesting. As long as there are actual sources, I'm interested in learning more about this.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That should be "about face" not "outface"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That should be "about face" not "outface"
          Interesting - and from this article from Sanger from December 1918, provided by NYU.edu... (bolding mine)

Dr. Max Hirsch, a famous authority quotes an opinion that there are 2,000,000 abortions in the United States every year!

"I believe" declares Dr. Hirsch, "that I may say without exaggeration that absolutely spontaneous or unprovoked abortions are extremely rare, that a vast majority--I should estimate it at 80 per cent--have a criminal origin."

Comment

It might be good to check out her work The Pivot of Civilization - I've heard from a couple sources that PP doesn't even stock it in their bookstore. There are multiple copies available for free download at the Internet Archive.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

“We do not want word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members..."

This could be read as her wanting to use a black minister to help hide their real intentions.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

This is interesting. So modern Planned Parenthood is nothing like the original?
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  “We do not want word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members..."

This could be read as her wanting to use a black minister to help hide their real intentions.
                  I think, in all honesty, she was trying to say "this is NOT the story we want to get out" because she believed it wasn't true -- she didn't want somebody jumping to that conclusion - but she worded it very poorly. It does, indeed, sound like she's trying to hide intent -- until you read "the rest of the story".

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    This is interesting. So modern Planned Parenthood is nothing like the original?
                    Digging some more, it doesn't just sound like a "liberal rewrite" -- it sounds like INITIALLY PP was, in fact, not pro-abortion. But, then again, the Democrats used to be the "God and Country" party.

Comment