Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

There is no way to Win - the Left Just Enjoys Hating Trump too Much.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
    I wonder if the reason that you dismiss her explanation is because she is black. You don’t believe her, she’s black, is that just a coincidence? She was also roundly attacked for saying something that was obviously and probably deliberately misunderstood.
    Martin Luther King, Jr. would be very disappointed with you.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      I wonder if the reason that you dismiss her explanation is because she is black. You don’t believe her, she’s black, is that just a coincidence? She was also roundly attacked for saying something that was obviously and probably deliberately misunderstood.
      Pfft. Obvious trolling is obvious.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I wonder if the reason that you dismiss her explanation is because she is black.
        I wouldn't care if she were purple with pink polkadots! It was sheer LUNACY, you RACIST! Why this fascination with the color of somebody's skin?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Pfft. Obvious trolling is obvious.
          I know, but he's kinda fun --- I mean, it's so obvious that.... and it's a slow day.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I wouldn't care if she were purple with pink polkadots! It was sheer LUNACY, you RACIST! Why this fascination with the color of somebody's skin?
            I feel that I have said all that needs to be said. Perhaps the angel of truth will visit you in your sleep.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

I feel that I have said all that needs to be said. Perhaps the angel of truth will visit you in your sleep.
              I AM the angel of truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                Jim, in a lot of ways I very much identify with how you feel you're being treated here, and I've said as much in a PM to you last year where I encouraged you not to let the forum get you down. I hate the tone and spirit of many of the posts here. I think the hatefulness, calling people stupid, dumb-ass, etc. (pretty much anything that isn't outright banned), the changing of user's names in replies (which I think ought to be banned outright), the use of digs, sarcasm, cynicism, and nastiness framed as "riposte," all of that is well beneath the Christian standard. It's contrary to how we ought to act, and how we're commanded to act especially to our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. And if anyone knows what it feels like to be ganged up on this forum it's gotta be me. I spent years debating Christians on this forum about how to treat others, especially fellow members of the Body. I had massive knock down, drag out arguments with folks all over the forum, but especially in places like Christianity 201 and Tektonics. There were some debates where it was me versus what seemed like half the forum (and the forum had a lot of regular members at the time). I wasn't just name called, and awarded numerous "screwballs," but people got up close and personal. JP Holding, for instance, used my past in a cult as a launching platform for debasing me, and at one point even created a comic illustration based on my real likeness (my avatar at the time was my real face when I was sporting a mohawk), and I think the nickname I was given at the time was something like sir adaft, or something. Very few people ever came to my defense, or debated at my side, and those that did usually endured the same cruelty. A number of people on the forum that had some real pull, and that I got along with very well, mostly turned a blind eye to the treatment I was receiving, even if in private message they seemed to support me. It was really very discouraging. There was just enough good in the forum that made returning worthwhile, but I can honestly say that I had never encountered anything like this among Christians before this forum, and I'm so happy to see that, especially since the forum's turnover, a lot of that insanity has dissipated over the years. And over time, I've come to the realization that the people here who are comfortable with insult rhetoric are simply not going to change, no matter how solid the arguments against it are. So, all I was doing was wasting time.

But you know what I hated worse than my treatment on the forum? I hated when all of that insanity would rub off on me, and make me mean. Had me fighting fire with fire. Had me acting childish, snide, and cynical. I hated when I let this forum get to me, and I allowed myself to become the thing I was so against.

I love your passion, Jim, and like you I'm troubled by the Christian support for someone as morally compromised as President Trump. I think in the end that it will have major negative ramifications on evangelism, on politics, and further increase the divide between us and the rest of society. But, man, some times you make it hard to root for you. Your passion can often come across as emotionalism, and there does seem to be a strategy in many of your posts of attack, and then surprise and defensiveness when there's a counter-attack. You let this forum get to you, and it's not healthy for you man. It's very obviously getting to you on a very personal level. You need to step back once in awhile, and look at what you're going to post before you do so. And like me, you have to eventually learn that some people here are not going to change. That no matter how strong your arguments sound in your head, some people are just going to ignore them. I know you're the type who does not quit, who does not give up easily. I mean, this should be obvious to anyone who's ever seen you debate back in the day in NatSci (heck, there were times when I just had to give up mostly friendly debates with you simply because I just didn't have equal amounts of zeal on the subject). But my advice to you, for your own mental health, is to maybe take a break from this place. Maybe reassess your approach, or maybe come to the conclusion that there are better places to spend your time.

I love you man, and I'm not saying any of the above to reproach you, or to make you feel bad, but I'm concerned for you, and I don't want to see you burned out, and sounds like you're coming awfully close to that.
                Well done.

You do not know what even one person finding words like these for me on this site means, even though you have let me know I have work to do myself. Thanks you so much for being willing to be an instrument of God's Grace and Mercy in a difficult situation.

Jim

PS - there are a few others that have offered me kind words and support via PM - I am grateful to those as well.
                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-13-2019, 08:23 AM.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I AM the angel of truth.
                  Nope. As it says in the Bible (both in the new and the old Testament) mankind is a little lower than the angels.
                  "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                    Nope. As it says in the Bible (both in the new and the old Testament) mankind is a little lower than the angels.
                    You are clueless, Chuck.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      You are clueless, Chuck.
                      Perhaps I should have listened more to Cow Poke, the angel of truth, then.
                      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

I was PLAYFULLY referencing the fact that the letters to the churches in Revelation were written to the "angel" of the church, which was the "messenger" or "pastor".

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                        Perhaps I should have listened more to Cow Poke, the angel of truth, then.
                        You can be SUCH a dolt. You must be a riot at parties.

Comment

I was PLAYFULLY referencing the fact that the letters to the churches in Revelation were written to the "angel" of the church, which was the "messenger" or "pastor".

You can be SUCH a dolt. You must be a riot at parties.
                          So much for being playfull.

Comment

So much for being playfull.
                            I suspect you have the sense of humor of a bag of hammers.

Comment

Better to live on a corner of the roof
                              than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.

Comment

Better to live on a corner of the roof
                                than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.
                                OK, maybe I was wrong.

Comment