Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Theists' Creeds and Beliefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theists' Creeds and Beliefs

Because I have asked for atheists' definitions of their 'unbeliefs', it seems fair and balanced to ask for Theists' Creeds and definitions of belief as well.

It would be very interesting to read any replies.....

Hi Elder,

As I have oft stated elsewhere, Baptists in general claim to be a non-creedal people. We all have, however, our own set of beliefs which are written down, and are, essentially, the "creed" we claim not to have.

In particular, the Southern Baptists (of which I am one) have a "Baptist Faith & Message" statement which can be found here.

CP
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I believe in one God,
      the Father almighty,
      maker of heaven and earth,
      of all things visible and invisible.

I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,
      the Only Begotten Son of God,
      born of the Father before all ages.
      God from God, Light from Light,
      true God from true God,
      begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;
      through him all things were made.
      For us men and for our salvation
      he came down from heaven,
      and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary,
      and became man.
      For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate,
      he suffered death and was buried,
      and rose again on the third day
      in accordance with the Scriptures.
      He ascended into heaven
      and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
      He will come again in glory
      to judge the living and the dead
      and his kingdom will have no end.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
      who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
      who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified,
      who has spoken through the prophets.

I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.
      I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins
      and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead
      and the life of the world to come. Amen.

that's the Nicene creed it speaks to my traditional side. As to my liberal side and variations see my credo on my site Doxa
      Metacrock's Blog

The Religious a priori: apologetics for 21st ccentury

The Trace of God by Joseph Hinman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Hi Elder,

As I have oft stated elsewhere, Baptists in general claim to be a non-creedal people. We all have, however, our own set of beliefs which are written down, and are, essentially, the "creed" we claim not to have.
        Thankyou very much for that info.
        I read the whole Baptist Message.

Thanks again........

Comment

Originally posted by metacrock View Post
          I believe in one God,
          the Father almighty,
          maker of heaven and earth,
          of all things visible and invisible.
          .................................................. ......that's the Nicene creed it speaks to my traditional side. As to my liberal side and variations see my credo on my site Doxa
          Thanks very much for all that....
          I read your credo on your site..................
          ................ and I can see that it varies from many other Christian Creeds.

Thankyou.

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post
            Thanks very much for all that....
            I read your credo on your site..................
            ................ and I can see that it varies from many other Christian Creeds.

Thankyou.
            thank you
            Metacrock's Blog

Comment

I agree with the Nicene Creed posted my metacrock. I found his Doxa to be alluring, but quickly lost interest because he has too little respect for the reader to avoid numerous misspellings. I dislike much of the Fundamentalist harshness of CP's Baptist statement.
              Which figures, because I am Lutheran. I believe basically what Roman Catholics believed in the 16th Century as codified in the Augsburg Confession that remains today the cornerstone of all Lutheran belief. I reject any Calvinistic intrusions as found in the Anglican Thirty-Nine Articles or even in the later (than Luther) parts of the Lutheran Book of Concord. So I am presently ELCA Lutheran tending towards the North American Lutheran Church. I similarly reject all Roman Catholic doctrines later than Luther, including significant portions of the Council of Trent that defined the 73 books of the Bible and certain other matters. However, like Roman Catholics I reject the so-called Athanasian Creed even though many Lutherans believe in it.
              I suppose my stance on Martin Luther is like my position on Donald Trump. Whatever personal deficiencies I find in the messenger and some of his particular beliefs, I like the beliefs in which he truly represented the Christianity of his time (a Christianity since fragmented in a thousand directions and with no one anchor of faith).
              Last edited by Adam; 03-27-2016, 07:26 PM.
              Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                I dislike much of the Fundamentalist harshness of CP's Baptist statement.
                For example?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                  I agree with the Nicene Creed posted my metacrock. I found his Doxa to be alluring, but quickly lost interest because he has too little respect for the reader to avoid numerous misspellings. I dislike much of the Fundamentalist harshness of CP's Baptist statement.
                  Which figures, because I am Lutheran. I believe basically what Roman Catholics believed in the 16th Century as codified in the Augsburg Confession that remains today the cornerstone of all Lutheran belief. I reject any Calvinistic intrusions as found in the Anglican Thirty-Nine Articles or even in the later (than Luther) parts of the Lutheran Book of Concord. So I am presently ELCA Lutheran tending towards the North American Lutheran Church. I similarly reject all Roman Catholic doctrines later than Luther, including significant portions of the Council of Trent that defined the 73 books of the Bible and certain other matters. However, like Roman Catholics I reject the so-called Athanasian Creed even though many Lutherans believe in it.
                  I suppose my stance on Martin Luther is like my position on Donald Trump. Whatever personal deficiencies I find in the messenger and some of his particular beliefs, I like the beliefs in which he truly represented the Christianity of his time (a Christianity since fragmented in a thousand directions and with no one anchor of faith).
                  read this: my answer to your crass attack on people with learning disabilities
                  Last edited by metacrock; 03-28-2016, 02:56 AM.
                  Metacrock's Blog

Comment

I sympathize with your dyslexia. I also sympathize that you have no follower (same as me) who is willing to help proof-read even your Doxa, your statement of faith. Can't you ask some blog reader to help out on just that?
                    Yes, I much preferred yours to the Southern Baptist creed.
                    Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

I like our statement of faith here on TWeb...
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Hi eider!
                        I am a Christian who is a member of the Assemblies of God denomination. This is a condensed version of our 16 fundamental beliefs found here
                        These are considered nonnegotiable tenets of faith that all Assemblies of God churches adhere to. This list is derived from the official Statement of Fundamental Truths.

Our Beliefs:
                        WE BELIEVE…The scriptures are inspired by God and declare His design and plan for mankind.
                        WE BELIEVE… There is only ONE True God revealed in three persons…Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (commonly known as the Trinity).
                        WE BELIEVE…In the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ as God’s son Jesus was both human and divine.
                        WE BELIEVE…though originally good, man willingly fell into sin -ushering evil and death, both physical and spiritual, into the world.
                        WE BELIEVE… every person can have restored fellowship with God through ‘salvation’ (accepting Christ’s offer of forgiveness for sin).
                        WE BELIEVE…and practice two ordinances-
                        (1) water baptism by immersion after repenting of one’s sins and receiving Christ’s gift of salvation, and
                        (2) holy communion (the Lord’s Supper) as a symbolic remembrance of Christ’s suffering and death for our salvation.
                        WE BELIEVE… the baptism in the Holy Spirit is a special experience following salvation that empowers believers for witnessing and effective service, just as it did in New Testament times.
                        WE BELIEVE… The Initial Physical Evidence of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is ‘Speaking in Tongues,’ as experienced on the Day of Pentecost and referenced throughout Acts and the Epistles.
                        WE BELIEVE…Sanctification Initially Occurs at Salvation and is not only a declaration that a believer is holy, but also a progressive lifelong process of separating from evil as believers continually draw closer to God and become more Christlike.
                        WE BELIEVE…The Church has a Mission to seek and save all who are lost in sin. We believe ‘the Church’ is the Body of Christ and consists of the people who, throughout time, have accepted God’s offer of redemption (regardless of religious denomination) through the sacrificial death of His son Jesus Christ.
                        WE BELIEVE…A Divinely Called and Scripturally Ordained Leadership Ministry Serves the Church. The Bible teaches that each of us under leadership must commit ourselves to reach others for Christ, to worship Him with other believers, and to build up or edify the body of believers-the Church.
                        WE BELIEVE…Divine Healing of the Sick is a Privilege for Christians Today and is provided for in Christ’s atonement (His sacrificial death on the cross for our sins).
                        WE BELIEVE…in The Blessed Hope-When Jesus Raptures His Church Prior to His Return to Earth (the second coming). At this future moment in time all believers who have died will rise from their graves and will meet the Lord in the air, and Christians who are alive will be caught up with them, to be with the Lord forever.
                        WE BELIEVE…in The Millennial Reign of Christ when Jesus returns with His saints at His second coming and begins His benevolent rule over earth for 1,000 years. At that time many in the nation of Israel will recognize and accept Him as the Messiah, the Savior who died for them and all mankind.
                        WE BELIEVE…A Final Judgment Will Take Place for those who have rejected Christ. They will be judged for their sin and consigned to eternal punishment in a punishing lake of fire.
                        WE BELIEVE…and look forward to the perfect New Heavens and a New Earth that Christ is preparing for all people, of all time, who have accepted Him. We will live and dwell with Him there forever following His millennial reign on Earth. ‘And so shall we forever be with the Lord!’
                        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I don't have a problem with some type of Hell. I reject categorically that all non-Christians go there.

Comment

I must find and read an Athanasian Creed!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              I like our statement of faith here on TWeb...
                              Hi......
                              OK........ I just need to check on which bus gets me there.....
                              I'm getting lost easily just now.

Comment