Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Definition of Evangelical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    I've always thought it had to do with the emphasis of "evangelizing" to spread the gospel... not whether it was credal or not...
    Evangelicals are defined by eisegesis of the 'Great Commission', claiming that it is meant for all believers. (It is not.)
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
      This statement by Craig is most surprising: “The word Evangelical originated during, I think, during the late 1940s or so, when people like Billy Graham, Carl Henry, Harold Ockenga, others, wanted to distinguish themselves from the old line Fundamentalism of people like Carl McIntire for example.”

Not to mention Lutheranism - about which I know little - Evangelicalism as a distinct form of Christianity in the UK goes back to the early 19th century. The Evangelical Alliance was founded in 1846. Evangelicalism was very influential in the UK from the Wesleys, to at least the 1920s.
      I believe Craig is referring to what is sometimes called New Evangelicalism. At any rate, it's the prominent form of Evangelicalism that remains popular today I think.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
        Oops. I meant to say that "such evangelicals may not be consciously..."

I may write papers where I need a definition of 'Christian.' This term can have many interpretations. I would tend to use the term 'confessional Christian' or creedal-agreeable Christian. The minimal creed would be the Apostles' Creed -- including those church groups and people who would concur, at minimal, with the apparent meaning of the Apostles' Creed. (Or that people in these church groups would reject use of the term 'Christian' for people that do not basically accept the Apostle's Creed.)

Note that the discussion on Evangelicals was more of a test case rather than being the main concern here. But I did like how the discussion went.
        Is this for some sort of thesis or something?

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
          Evangelicals are defined by eisegesis of the 'Great Commission', claiming that it is meant for all believers. (It is not.)

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
            Thanks for your interesting contributions.
            This is about me, isn't it?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
              Lutheranism, atleast confessional Lutheranism, is quite distinct from Evangelicalism, or atleast the Evangelical movement that Adrift mentions in post #66. It's quite a bit more sacramental, for one (although that's not the biggest difference).
              Didn't Luther claim to be Evangelical ? I wish the word, however spelt, were not so slippery.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                I believe Craig is referring to what is sometimes called New Evangelicalism. At any rate, it's the prominent form of Evangelicalism that remains popular today I think.
                That explains it. So what, in one sentence, is New Evangelicalism ?

Comment

That explains it. So what, in one sentence, is New Evangelicalism ?
                  I think Craig defined it in that original quote of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    This is about me, isn't it?
                    Yes. You get 3 gold stars.

Comment

Is this for some sort of thesis or something?
                      I'm not using this in my thesis, but I have discovered that the word 'Christian' is ambiguous. I have had informal writings where I have wanted to say something in connection with Christian beliefs or something like that

Comment

It seems like a lot of Orthodox and Roman Catholics want to be a part of a club that they don't think Protestants can be/should be part of. Historically, I suppose the same was true among many Protestants. It's a shame that so many people on both sides still feel that way.
                        Regarding Orthodoxy, sort of. There are Orthodox who say that no Christians are found outside the Orthodox Church, but the general sentiment is "The Orthodox Church is the Church; it is not our place to comment on whether Christians in other traditions are a part of the church, because that is up to God."
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Didn't Luther claim to be Evangelical ? I wish the word, however spelt, were not so slippery.
                          Protestants were initially called "Evangelicals"; I no longer recall if that was a self-appellation or given from outside.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Regarding Orthodoxy, sort of. There are Orthodox who say that no Christians are found outside the Orthodox Church, but the general sentiment is "The Orthodox Church is the Church; it is not our place to comment on whether Christians in other traditions are a part of the church, because that is up to God."
                            Well my sentiment is that Orthodox Christians are definitely part of the church if they accept Christ as Lord, and they'd be more than welcome to break bread and take communion with me at my local congregation, even knowing they'd be unlikely to return the favor. You are my brother in Christ, even if some of our other brothers don't think I'm your brother in Christ.

Speaking of, there is a relatively newish Greek Orthodox church in town that I'd love to check out just to see how an Orthodox service goes down (been to a few RCC services already), but I have no idea how welcome I'd be.

Comment

Clearly the average believer is not supposed to baptise others, therefore the Great Commission is not binding on him.
                              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                                Clearly the average believer is not supposed to baptise others, therefore the Great Commission is not binding on him.
                                Is there any passage that says who does the baptizing -- as applicable today?

I do recommend people get baptized within a church group's pastor, but this is in the absence of any specific instruction as to who should do the baptizing.

Comment