Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Pro-choice distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    As you said, CP, the more you feel a need to respond - the more you confirm it. (Shakespeare said it better: "the [man] doth protest too much!")
    Whatever.

And I've just realized just how much your posts are designed to provoke a reaction and goad others. I'm a little embarrassed that I fell for it.
    Actually, I'm here to be challenged, and I've had to change a number of my own beliefs and positions because of the blow back. You're just not very good at challenging.

I think I'll put you back in the "hoped for 1% camp."
    I'm so honored!

I suspect you will be giving much of what I've said some thought. You have too often revealed that you actually consider ideas and sometimes try to make changes.
    When a good argument or challenge is presented, I try to accommodate it.

If I were a praying man, I'd pray for ya!
    How bout saying something that actually challenges my beliefs! All you're doing is repeating the same things over and over, and complaining about "the war", as if you're not involved.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Whatever.

Actually, I'm here to be challenged, and I've had to change a number of my own beliefs and positions because of the blow back. You're just not very good at challenging.

I'm so honored!

When a good argument or challenge is presented, I try to accommodate it.

How bout saying something that actually challenges my beliefs! All you're doing is repeating the same things over and over, and complaining about "the war", as if you're not involved.
      You'll get there...

Eventually...
      Last edited by carpedm9587; 05-15-2019, 04:17 PM.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

You'll get there...

Eventually...
        So, in all your walls of text, did you ever answer the question about compromise - with regards to the Jews, for example. If somebody wants ALL the Jews dead, what's the compromise?

And if I truly believe that life begins at conception (or even - what did you say? implantation?) then how do I "compromise" on that regarding abortion?

Let's test your "professional communicator" ability to be clear and concise.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So, in all your walls of text, did you ever answer the question about compromise - with regards to the Jews, for example. If somebody wants ALL the Jews dead, what's the compromise?

And if I truly believe that life begins at conception (or even - what did you say? implantation?) then how do I "compromise" on that regarding abortion?

Yes..answered several times - and in small posts too.

Right now you appear to still be in your "provoke/react" mode, so it's not clear that further discussion will be useful. I think I'll give it a rest with you for a bit.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Yes..answered several times - an in small posts too.

Right now you appear to still be in your "provoke" mode, so it's not clear that further discussion will be useful.
            Carpe, I don't hang on every word you say, and I'm simply asking you to wrap it up in a concise thought. You're reading "provoke" where there is none, but if you can't do that provide the answer, maybe you should take a break.

I think I'll give it a rest with you for a bit.
            Too hard to be concise, eh?

Comment

Carpe, I don't hang on every word you say, and I'm simply asking you to wrap it up in a concise thought. You're reading "provoke" where there is none, but if you can't do that provide the answer, maybe you should take a break.

Too hard to be concise, eh?
              Like I said, CP, when your posts are no longer in provoke/react mode, I'll be happy to engage. Until then the effort would most likely be pointless.

Not to worry. I'm not in any hurry. I have two more solid days at my computer finishing this bloody course. Then I hit the road for Atlanta next week to teach, and this time my lovely bride is coming with me. I'm looking forward to a nice week.

Comment

Like I said, CP, when your posts are no longer in provoke/react mode, I'll be happy to engage. Until then the effort would most likely be pointless.
                Oh, for the love of Pete! I'm asking questions, and apparently you feel threatened, so you're going to this "provoke/react" nonsense. So be it.

Comment

Oh, for the love of Pete! I'm asking questions, and apparently you feel threatened, so you're going to this "provoke/react" nonsense. So be it.
                  CP - I'm not "threatened" in the least. My response to you is not about feeling threatened or hurt or angry or anything else you might imagine. It is exactly what I said: experience has taught me that someone in provoke/react mode is not in a place to listen and engage - so it's pointless to waste the time.

If you're wondering what leaves that impression, it's elements of your posts like these:

Too hard to be concise, huh?
                  You can be a pompous ass,

So, a GOOD pompous ass, as opposed to you
                  You just can't HEPPP YERSEFF.

...and the list goes on. There not ways people respectfully engage with each other. I was in "provoke/react" mode earlier - I'm sure you could tell. For that, I apologize. I thought I had learned my lesson with Sparko, and clearly I have not. I let myself go right back into that space. A walk - a cup of coffee - and a little thought and I'm pretty much out of it.

Now I'm just waiting for any sign that you are out of that mode and I'll be happy to engage. This is a serious subject for me. It's worth more than just the mudslinging that has been its hallmark since the start of this discussion. You apparently locked yourself "Michel is a pompous, above it all, horses ass" mindset, which isn't very conducive to a serious discussion.
                  Last edited by carpedm9587; 05-15-2019, 05:20 PM.

Comment

OK - so "win the debate" is more important than "stop the carnage." That's pretty much the message that's coming across from most people here.
                    If my message can cause a single person to rethink their pro-abortion stance then I consider that a win. The only thing I can do is speak the truth in love to plant the seed and trust God to do the rest.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      If my message can cause a single person to rethink their pro-abortion stance then I consider that a win. The only thing I can do is speak the truth in love to plant the seed and trust God to do the rest.
                      No one is asking you to stop "speaking the truth," MM. That has never been part of anything I've been saying. It's just how people here seem to want to paint what I am saying. I am not suggesting that anyone, on either side, give up their "truths."

I am suggesting that the only path to a solution is to change the rules/process/approach of engagement.

As for the "win" - if I could be part of making a systemic change that would reduce abortions by thousands, I would consider that part of a much bigger "win." It doesn't need to be either/or: all of us can continue working with individuals, while changing how we engage with the larger "war."

Comment

He thinks he has answered, but he hasn't. He's talked around the question, he's explained the question, he's described the competing ideologies, but he's never explained what the compromise is, or what he would say or do to change someone's mind. He's set it up as an intractable problem yet keeps banging on us about "compromise". Apparently a "professional communicator" is someone who can talk about a question without actually answering it.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

He thinks he has answered, but he hasn't. He's talked around the question, he's explained the question, he's described the competing ideologies, but he's never explained what the compromise is, or what he would say or do to change someone's mind. He's set it up as an intractable problem yet keeps banging on us about "compromise". Apparently a "professional communicator" is someone who can talk about a question without actually answering it.
                          It's like asking somebody what time it is, and they launch into a big oratory on time, and time management, and time recording, and clocks, and watches and design and....

Comment

CP - I'm not "threatened" in the least. My response to you is not about feeling threatened or hurt or angry or anything else you might imagine. It is exactly what I said: experience has taught me that someone in provoke/react mode is not in a place to listen and engage - so it's pointless to waste the time.

If you're wondering what leaves that impression, it's elements of your posts like these:

Too hard to be concise, huh?
                            You can be a pompous ass,

So, a GOOD pompous ass, as opposed to you
                            You just can't HEPPP YERSEFF.

...and the list goes on. There not ways people respectfully engage with each other. I was in "provoke/react" mode earlier - I'm sure you could tell. For that, I apologize. I thought I had learned my lesson with Sparko, and clearly I have not. I let myself go right back into that space. A walk - a cup of coffee - and a little thought and I'm pretty much out of it.

Now I'm just waiting for any sign that you are out of that mode and I'll be happy to engage. This is a serious subject for me. It's worth more than just the mudslinging that has been its hallmark since the start of this discussion. You apparently locked yourself "Michel is a pompous, above it all, horses ass" mindset, which isn't very conducive to a serious discussion.
                            Lemme add one more .... what a freakin' baby!

I just get so tired of your bloviating, and would like a plain simple answer without the kabuki dance.

Comment

So what you're saying is that the best place for a developing human life is in its mother's uterus. So let's fight to keep them there until they are viable.
                              Until they are viable they are a part of the mother’s body and the mother has rights as to what to do with her own body.
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Wow, what an admission!
                                What admission? Of course they are human embryos or fetuses, they're not frogs are they.
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment