Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting El Paso...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    So, besides situational awareness, any other tips too avoid being a damsel in distress? Ooh! If a bad guy tries to force you into a car, do everything in your power to not go in there. Things won't end well!
    Last I heard, the FBI stats for a woman surviving an abduction was right at 2%. So, yeah, fight hard. "Hard places to Soft places" -- knees, elbows, forehead - to face, shins, groin... this is one case that warrants fighting dirty - as dirty as you need to.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Last I heard, the FBI stats for a woman surviving an abduction was right at 2%. So, yeah, fight hard. "Hard places to Soft places" -- knees, elbows, forehead - to face, shins, groin... this is one case that warrants fighting dirty - as dirty as you need to.
      One of the tips I always shared was the way you carried your keys to your car.... ALWAYS have the keys out before you approach the car, don't ever be in a situation where you have to stand there and dig in your purse or pockets....

And, hard to describe without showing - your ignition key (or fob) should be in your thumb/index grip ready to use, and the rest of your keys should come out from between your fingers, so you have like a weapon... like below, except the car key needs to be usable.

car-keys-for-self-defense-weapon.jpg

scratch eyes, face, arms..... it's not at all unusual for the police to get the attacker's DNA from your keys used in such a manner. Hopefully, while you're alive because you escaped, but even if you don't survive. Be vicious - fight like your life depends on it. Because it just might.

Another idea - if he's trying to abduct you in YOUR car, throw the keys as far as you can throw them - in the bushes, across the parking lot...
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• As you're walking to your car, or to the store, or whatever, look around and ask yourself, "OK, what would I do if somebody jumped out of that bush over there", and stuff like that. NOT to live in fear, but just be aware of the possibilities, and there might be a different approach to the front door that doesn't have you passing by 'hiding places'. Try to remain in clear sight of other people.

If you're even a little nervous, and there's nobody available to walk you to your car, call a friend and say, "hey, I'm going to be walking to my car, and I just wanted somebody to know where I am...." but do NOT look distracted, keep the "situational awareness" going.

One of the ladies who attended my class told me she was doing that with her husband - she was walking to the car, talking to him, and saw some guys standing by a car the next row over.... she said, "Well, YES officer, I'm almost to my car now, so there's really no hurry....." - her husband caught on and asked "do I need to call 911?" - and she said, "no, officer, I have my gun in my purse and I know how to use it..."

Comment

One of the tips I always shared was the way you carried your keys to your car.... ALWAYS have the keys out before you approach the car, don't ever be in a situation where you have to stand there and dig in your purse or pockets....

And, hard to describe without showing - your ignition key (or fob) should be in your thumb/index grip ready to use, and the rest of your keys should come out from between your fingers, so you have like a weapon... like below, except the car key needs to be usable.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39016[/ATTACH]

scratch eyes, face, arms..... it's not at all unusual for the police to get the attacker's DNA from your keys used in such a manner. Hopefully, while you're alive because you escaped, but even if you don't survive. Be vicious - fight like your life depends on it. Because it just might.

Another idea - if he's trying to abduct you in YOUR car, throw the keys as far as you can throw them - in the bushes, across the parking lot...
          Lots of car keys these days are electronic.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• OK, so quick story.....

Granny's kids were nervous about her being out and about alone so much, particularly at night, so they bought her a handgun for her purse, and paid for classes for her to learn how to use it.

One night, coming out of the mall, she saw some teenage boys fooling around with the radio in her car, so she took a deep breath, summoned her courage, pulled her gun out of her purse, and confronted them yelling at the top of her voice "YOU GET OUT OF THERE RIGHT NOW OR I WILL BLOW YOUR FREAKIN HEADS OFF" and waving the gun around.... They fled, and she was so proud of herself.

Then she got extremely embarrassed when she noticed it wasn't her car.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Yup - I only have ONE actual key that I carry - everything else is a fob or iPhone app or touch-key.

Hence....

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              And, hard to describe without showing - your ignition key (or fob) ...

Comment

• Shouldn't guns be in holsters and not in purses?
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  Shouldn't guns be in holsters and not in purses?
                  Some purses are actually designed to be holsters!

gun purse.jpg gal-mer.jpg

Comment

Some purses are actually designed to be holsters!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39018[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]39019[/ATTACH]
                    Yup.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

OK, so quick story.....

Granny's kids were nervous about her being out and about alone so much, particularly at night, so they bought her a handgun for her purse, and paid for classes for her to learn how to use it.

One night, coming out of the mall, she saw some teenage boys fooling around with the radio in her car, so she took a deep breath, summoned her courage, pulled her gun out of her purse, and confronted them yelling at the top of her voice "YOU GET OUT OF THERE RIGHT NOW OR I WILL BLOW YOUR FREAKIN HEADS OFF" and waving the gun around.... They fled, and she was so proud of herself.

Then she got extremely embarrassed when she noticed it wasn't her car.
                      That story usually finishes with her going to report what happened at the police station. After she told the desk sergeant what happened he started to chuckle. Perplexed she asked him what he thought was so funny. At that point he points to a bench over along the wall and said, "These boys just came in to report that they were car jacked by a little old lady."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Yup.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39022[/ATTACH][/center]
                        I couldn't immediately find it, but there's one purse that's designed for you to slide your hand in that slot, gun in your hand, and, if necessary, shoot out of the front of the purse, not even having to take the gun out of the purse.

I had a lady once ask, "wouldn't that ruin your purse?" The other ladies all jumped on that opportunity --- "would you rather be DEAD?"

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          That story usually finishes with her going to report what happened at the police story. After she told the desk sergeant what happened he started to chuckle. Perplexed she asked him what's so funny. At that point he points to a bench over along the wall and said, "These boys just came in to report that they were car jacked by a little old lady."
                          Hadn't heard that part!

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            House, car, storage, friend's house, parent's house, dorm room from ten years ago (you thought girls just didn't clean out their purses!), keys you don't remember what they are for, keys you remember but don't have that thing any more...

For a lot of us girls, not a problem.

But there are other options....

Knuckle Weapon.jpg
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              House, car, storage, friend's house, parent's house, dorm room from ten years ago (you thought girls just didn't clean out their purses!), keys you don't remember what they are for, keys you remember but don't have that thing any more...

For a lot of us girls, not a problem.

But there are other options....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39023[/ATTACH]
                              Be sure to check your local laws on that type of weapon, though.

Comment

Be sure to check your local laws on that type of weapon, though.
                                Yeah, if you forget that is on your keychain and you try to get through security at the airport...
                                That's what
                                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment